[comp.sys.hp] Series 300 RS-232 pinout?

tgl@zog.cs.cmu.edu (Tom Lane) (01/14/87)

Anyone know the pinout of the 9-pin RS-232 connector found on
HP 9000 Series 300 machines?  The manuals are unhelpful...

				tom lane
-----
ARPA: lane@ZOG.CS.CMU.EDU
UUCP: ...!seismo!zog.cs.cmu.edu!lane
BITNET: lane%zog.cs.cmu.edu@cmuccvma

chris@columbia.UUCP (Chris Maio) (01/15/87)

In article <1014@zog.cs.cmu.edu> tgl@zog.cs.cmu.edu (Tom Lane) writes:
>Anyone know the pinout of the 9-pin RS-232 connector found on
>HP 9000 Series 300 machines?  The manuals are unhelpful...

My Configuration Reference Manual says that the pinouts are as follows:

				DB9	DB25
			DTR	1	20
			TXD	2	2
			RXD	3	3
			RTS	4	4
			CTS	5	5
			DSR	6	6	not implemented
			GND	7	7	signal ground
			CD	8	8
			RI	9	9

I haven't used it, but if I'm reading the manual right, the interface "looks"
like a DTE, so if you're making DB9->DB25 cables, use male DB25 connectors.
If you're hooking up a modem, you may need to flip a switch on the card
to enable modem control.  This interface has only a one-byte buffer and
no on-board support for modem handshaking or flow-control, and input at
rates above 2400 baud (or above 300 baud concurrent with disk accesses
on the builtin hp-ib interface) may result in loss of data.

						Chris

perry@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Perry Scott) (01/17/87)

>Anyone know the pinout of the 9-pin RS-232 connector found on
>HP 9000 Series 300 machines?  The manuals are unhelpful...

As of May 16, 1986, the s320 comes with a cable which converts the
9-pin to a standard 25-pin female (like the s310).  It's part number
is 98561-61604.  This is what it does:

Name	9-pin	25-pin

DTR	1	20
TXD	2	2