[comp.sys.hp] Review: HP LaserJet Series II

jules@zen.UUCP (Julian Perry) (03/06/87)

I too saw the  LaserJet  II before  official  release and asked HP a few
questions  about it.  I was also  impressed;  however,  I was also  very
disappointed that what we found to be the most annoying  features of the
LaserJet(+) had NOT been sorted out.

  1.  We use lots of soft fonts because it's not possible to get what we
      want on a  cartridge,  so we download the fonts and then print out
      documents,  letters  etc.  This  is all  performed  by our  HP9040
      multi-user  mini  through a spool  queue.  Now comes the  annoying
      bit......IT  IS NOT POSSIBLE TO FIND OUT WHICH FONTS ARE CURRENTLY
      IN THE LASERJET MEMORY!  This means that for each document we have
      to  download  everything  that it uses as we  don't  know  what is
      already in  memory.  We could  keep track of what has been sent to
      the LaserJet  but if it gets  switched  off the  computer  doesn't
      know.

  2.  The only interfaces are RS232 and Parallel, HP-IB (IEEE 488) would
      have been very nice  (especially from HP who have an HP-IB version
      of  everything)  so that we can download  graphics  and fonts in a
      reasonable time.

  3.  EPROMable font cartridges - PLEASE ?

Having  said all that, the whole  LaserJet  series  (and now the ScanJet
too) are truly wonderful, ours never stop printing.

Jules

--
IN-REAL-LIFE:  Julian Perry
E-MAIL:        jules@zen.co.uk || ...!mcvax!ukc!zen.co.uk!jules

bb@wjh12.UUCP (03/11/87)

In a follow-up to a review of the new LaserJet Series II,
Julian Perry (jules@zen.UUCP) comments:

      ......IT  IS NOT POSSIBLE TO FIND OUT WHICH FONTS ARE CURRENTLY
      IN THE LASERJET MEMORY!

A while ago, I met with two engineers from HP's LaserJet group to
discuss LJ futures (*).  The above issue was the first I raised.  The
response was interesting, BUT, one must keep in mind the commendable
engineering philosophy associated with HP.  Their response (paraphrased):

  "Since the LaserJet family currently supports rs-232 (& rs-422) serial
   and Centronics (8-bit parallel) interfaces, with additional ones
   planned for future LJ printers, we feel it is important to maintain
   a consistent software interface for the LJ family.  Therefore,
   since most printer interfaces (rs-232/422 is the exception) do
   not support transmission of data from printer TO host computer,
   there is no way to CONSISTENTLY provide this facility."

Such a response, from a lesser organization, might be construed as a
cop-out; from HP, I accepted it (begrudgingly!).

My second gripe about the LJ+ (and now LJ II) is the overly stingy
restriction on number of down-loaded fonts, and number of active (per-page)
fonts.  Since no memory should be used until characters in the additional
font were loaded, why put an artificial restriction on this?

This is especially significant now that the LJ II can be expanded to 4.5 Mb.
[Hey, where did we put that dis-assembler and EPROM burner? :-) ]

(*)  One of the other subjects of discussion was the recently-announced
     LaserJet 2000 (300 dpi, 20 ppm, 11x17 max, duplex, $20k).  During
     development, this printer had a *great* "code name"; it was
     dubbed the "JumboJet".  Geez, they should have loosened their
     ties and kept that name.

Julian's closing comment:

    Having  said all that, the whole  LaserJet  series  (and now the ScanJet
    too) are truly wonderful, ours never stop printing.

Hear, hear!

			Brent Byer
			  Textware
--------

Usenet: def.	"Free Speech!!  (one each)"

			credit:  Roy Harper

jewett@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Bob Jewett) (03/17/87)

#            IT  IS NOT POSSIBLE TO FIND OUT WHICH FONTS ARE CURRENTLY
#   IN THE LASERJET MEMORY!
#                        We could  keep track of what has been sent to
#   the LaserJet  but if it gets  switched  off the  computer  doesn't
#   know.

    The version of troff on this machine does keep track of which fonts
    have been downloaded.  There is a command to reset that list if the
    LaserJet is power cycled, and another command to inquire about presently
    resident fonts.

frank@zen.UUCP (Frank Wales) (03/19/87)

}

In article <59@wjh12.UUCP> brent@textware.UUCP (brent byer) writes:
>A while ago, I met with two engineers from HP's LaserJet group to
>discuss LJ futures (*).  The above issue was the first I raised.  The
>response was interesting, BUT, one must keep in mind the commendable
>engineering philosophy associated with HP.  Their response (paraphrased):
>
>  "Since the LaserJet family currently supports rs-232 (& rs-422) serial
>   and Centronics (8-bit parallel) interfaces, with additional ones
>   planned for future LJ printers, we feel it is important to maintain
>   a consistent software interface for the LJ family.  Therefore,
>   since most printer interfaces (rs-232/422 is the exception) do
>   not support transmission of data from printer TO host computer,
>   there is no way to CONSISTENTLY provide this facility."
>
>Such a response, from a lesser organization, might be construed as a
>cop-out; from HP, I accepted it (begrudgingly!).

Well, now; who is benefiting from this decision?

Software developers?  Well, yes, since their LaserJet driver software becomes
simpler to maintain.  And no, because they can't reliably discover the
state of the printer, so it becomes harder to write.

Customers?  Yes, because all LaserJets work alike.  And no, because the
feature set is constrained by whatever interface is the most brain-damaged,
not by the capabilities of the equipment the printer is to be connected to.

HP?  Yes, because marketing a single feature set is easier than marketing
multiple sets for the "same" product.  And no, because sophisticated customers
who are aware of the potential of the equipment get frustrated by what they
perceive to be petty oversights.

Is there another solution?  Yes.  Provide a guaranteed base feature set,
with enhancements which make best use of individual models' capabilities.

Such a solution doesn't affect any of the yesses above, but does
hit the noes.   (Ow!  :~()

And HP have already followed such a path before for other HP product
lines offering multiple communications options.  The ThinkJets, for example.

Now, suppose one of the planned interfaces is HP-IB.  Virtually every
HP-IB peripheral supports some kind of status interrogation.  Are HP saying
that the limitations of certain interfacing standards are to cripple all
possible implementations?

Worse, the same logic also precludes bringing out enhanced models in the
same series with additional or expanded features ("...but this new
feature makes the software interface inconsistent -- let's drop it...").

Yet the LaserJet family is growing and expanding all the time.

It certainly never used to be HP engineering philosophy to work to the
lowest standard available.  I'm sure that is still the case. [:-) -ish]

Julian's closing comment:
}    Having  said all that, the whole  LaserJet  series  (and now the ScanJet
}    too) are truly wonderful, ours never stop printing.

>Hear, hear!
>			Brent Byer
>			  Textware

There, there!					:-)

Oh, and while I'm here, Jules missed a pet peeve of mine -- it would be
*real* *nice* (yes it would) to be able to pop a message of some kind into
that nice big LCD screen to say something about what is being printed.  Why?
Well, our LaserJets are on an HP-UX system with loads of Users, and when
two send output to a LaserJet at the same time requiring manual sheet
feeding, it would be nice to know whose is which *before* the paper gets
fed in.  Just a thought...

Frank Wales	         [frank@zen.uucp<->..!mcvax!ukc!zen.co.uk!frank]
Development Engineer, part-time Systems Administrator and full-time pest
Zengrange Limited.               [You think I'm paid to have opinions?!]

rjn@hpfcmp.UUCP (03/20/87)

re: LaserJet status readback

>>                        We could  keep track of what has been sent to
>>   the LaserJet  but if it gets  switched  off the  computer  doesn't
>>   know.

>   The version of troff on this machine does keep track of which fonts
>   have been downloaded.  There is a command to reset that list if the
>   LaserJet is power cycled, and another command to inquire about presently
>   resident fonts.

Both of these comments really say the same thing.   Also, the commands
mentioned in the second paragraph are for an unreleased version of troff.
I'm not sure the four or so 3rd party troffs for HP9000 have this feature.

I suspect the history behind the lack of readback is related to:

* The RS-232C interface of LaserJet-I was developed by Canon.  They did
  not have HP's tradition of implementing the kind of status readback
  escape sequences most other HP terminals and printers have.

* The LJ-I was also designed for use with Centronics,  for which no
  standard bidirectional I/O definition exists.

Now that the ScanJet has defined a form of Centronics input, and has
extended Printer Command Language (PCL) to include input,  perhaps we'll
see some status capabilities on future LaserJet class printers.  I know
that Boise division is aware of the need,  although I'm not privy to any
specific product plans on this issue.

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland                                            3404 East Harmony Road
[ihnp4|hplabs]!hpfcla!rjn                             Fort Collins CO  80525