[comp.sys.hp] Available

dgreen@CS.UCLA.EDU (05/21/87)

In article <128@uoregon.UUCP> sanjay@fog.UUCP (Sanjay Rajopadhye) writes:

>  We are getting a couple of hp bobcats later this summer, and I'm interested
>in getting magic and the berkeley tools running on them.  Does anyone have
>pointers on what is involved in writing the graphics drivers (actually
>modifying the existing (most likely color Sun) drivers).  Better yet, has
>anyone already done this and would be willing to share the result.

I did this at UCLA.  The port requires the X windows system.  This is
a much upgraded version of an HPUX magic CMU has.  We are using it
pretty heavily now.  It is compatible with 4, 6 and 8 bitplane color
monitors.  It took a non-stop, little sleep week to do it, so I don't
recommend repeating the effort.

This version of X magic is very solid (doesn't crash, completely
functional).  The CMU version crashes quite often, and doesn't work
with 4 bitplane monitors.

I am incredibly overworked at the moment and don't really want to
assemble a distribution for about a month or two.  Those people who
want the new X graphics driver, and the mods for HPUX, can send me a
message.  I'll get back to you when time has been carved out.

We have also ported many of the tools (spice2g6, esim, rsim, crystal,
sim2spice, ...) to HPUX.

 _D_a_n_ _G_r_e_e_n_i_n_g     _A_R_P_A-  dgreen@CS.UCLA.EDU
                  _U_U_C_P- ..!{sdcrdcf,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!dgreen

tamir@CS.UCLA.EDU (05/22/87)

-
->  We are getting a couple of hp bobcats later this summer, and I'm interested
->in getting magic and the berkeley tools running on them.  Does anyone have
->pointers on what is involved in writing the graphics drivers (actually
->modifying the existing (most likely color Sun) drivers).  Better yet, has
->anyone already done this and would be willing to share the result.
-
-I did this at UCLA.  The port requires the X windows system.  This is
-a much upgraded version of an HPUX magic CMU has.
-I am incredibly overworked at the moment and don't really want to
-assemble a distribution for about a month or two.  Those people who
-want the new X graphics driver, and the mods for HPUX, can send me a
-message.  I'll get back to you when time has been carved out.

The above message from Dan Greening needs to be clarified:
Magic under X on HPs running HP-UX is a result of efforts by
several people at UCLA.  Dan Greening was one of the people involved.
What we did here are relatively minor modifications of software
written by groups at Berkeley, Stanford, and CMU.
No software will be distributed without authorization from those groups.

			   Yuval Tamir

Internet: tamir@cs.ucla.edu
    UUCP: ...!{ihnp4,ucbvax,sdcrdcf,trwspp,randvax,ism780}!ucla-cs!tamir

dgreen@CS.UCLA.EDU (05/22/87)

I just want to make it clear that several people contributed to making
the HPUX + X Windows work, notably some people from Stanford and Yuval
Tamir from UCLA.  That omission was based on an assumption that CMU
had made all the updates, when in actuality they were not the
exclusive authors.

As many people know, Magic is the result of many authors, primarily
Berkeley.

License to use Magic is granted through the University of California, and
distribution of the source depends on discussions with UC Berkeley.
However, I will still collect the names of interested parties and
either make X Magic available directly or refer your names to the
appropriate party, depending on those discussions.

gwu@vlsi.cs.cmu.edu (George Wu) (05/26/87)

> The CMU version crashes quite often, and doesn't work with 4 bitplane
> monitors.

     I disagree with you in part. Our version is quite stable. It was used for
an entire semester by about fifteen grads without any problems.

     But you are right about the number of bit planes. I never did finish the
four bitplane version, as we got all of our machines upgraded to six
bitplanes.

     Our version too is currently not for release. Sorry folks. I'll post when
it is available.

							George