[comp.sys.hp] sendmail

luttinen@umn-cs.UUCP (Jim Luttinen) (05/27/87)

Does anyone know how to get sendmail on the hp model 9000 series 300's to
recognize domains with more than 3 domains, ie csci.cs.umn.edu.  We currently
have the NS/ARPA networking software.  I have tried to do:

	npowerup -ndonald.cs.umn.edu (other options)

and this fails.  Currently my name is donald.cs.umn-edu, which isn't exactly
what I want.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Is this a bug?

				Jim Luttinen
				rutgers!meccts!umn-cs!luttinen
				luttinen@umn-cs.ARPA

mjb@hoosier.UUCP (05/28/87)

I was under the impression that the -n in the npowerup command was not
really domain service, but only an "internal" HP naming scheme.  We have
just recently gotten our 5.22 stuff, and I've not yet had time to look
too closely at the domain server utilities, but they may be what yu need.

mjb.

---------------

mjb%hoosier@cs.utah.edu

holtzman@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Henry N. Holtzman) (05/30/87)

1.  NS/ARPA includes both HP's "old" (NS) network code and their
TCP/IP (ARPA) implimentation.  The name given to "npowerup" is for the
old software as far as I have been able to tell.  The address is for
the ARPA software.  As far as TCP/IP goes, the kernel need not know
the name of the node, just the address.  The NS code has a single
[symbolic] naming layer, so the kernel must know that name for the
node on which it is running.

2.  I don't think the domain code is publically available yet.  It was
recently distributed to some of HPLab's grant recipient schools, but I
haven't gotten an official product tape yet...  Right now, offical
NS/ARPA does domains in the sense that /etc/hosts can have domain
formatted names, but it doesn't provide a networked resolver or name
server.

-Henry

montrose@killer.UUCP (06/02/87)

I have a LAN with HP9000s, 1000s and an IBM4300 connected together. The IBM
is running their TCP/IP software using their DACU device. I can send mail
find from the IBM to the HPs, and between the HP9000s (someday it will be
available for the 1000s -sigh-). But when I send mail from the HP9000s to
the CMS machine it works about 1/6 times. I can use the quote command in FTP
attach manually to the sendmail socket on the IBM and manually emulate sendmail
and that works fine. The IBM is apparently getting a packet it doesn't
expect; replying with a message like "Command "" not recognized". Looking
at the packet dumps I see an extra packet being sent from the HP just before
the error occurs.

Has anyone else used sendmail over the LAN between HPs and someone else's
computer?? My SE has referred this problem to the Labs, but they aren't
too interested in solving this since "IBMs are a non standard connection".
(I thought that is why I got a LAN in the first place, to connect different
computers together).

I would be interested in any other connects like this, did they work, or
some somebody in HP know how to make it work???

thanks, Rod Montrose
        Motorola, Ft. Worth TX (817) 232-6383

mitch@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mitch Collinsworth) (06/09/87)

In article <956@killer.UUCP> montrose@killer.UUCP (Rod Montrose) writes:
>Has anyone else used sendmail over the LAN between HPs and someone else's
>computer?? My SE has referred this problem to the Labs, but they aren't
>too interested in solving this since "IBMs are a non standard connection".
>(I thought that is why I got a LAN in the first place, to connect different
>computers together).

Our LAN has several 9000/320's, a uVAX running ULTRIX-32, a Proteon 4200
gateway, and lots of other stuff that talks DECNET and LAT.  The 9000's
works great with ULTRIX and the gateway.

-Mitch Collinsworth