[comp.sys.hp] Want 68k Modula-2 compiler

rro@excell.colostate.edu (Rod Oldehoeft) (09/14/87)

[]
I'm posting this for someone not currently reading news.  Plz respond
by email to me, and I'll forward the information.

We're looking for a 68k-based implementation of Modula-2 to run on
HP computers.  Source code is desired, would be convenient if written
in C.

Please direct us to who supplies such a compiler, what costs are, any
good or bad experiences, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Rod Oldehoeft
Computer Science Dept.
Colorado State University
hao!handel!rro
rro@lll-crg.arpa

vandys@Lindy.STANFORD.EDU (Andy Valencia) (09/16/87)

In article <208@excell.colostate.edu> rro@excell.colostate.edu (Rod Oldehoeft) writes:
>[]
>
>We're looking for a 68k-based implementation of Modula-2 to run on
>HP computers.  Source code is desired, would be convenient if written
>in C.

	I ported the Zurich one-pass 68K compiler onto a no-name box
made by Telematics.  It runs fine, with mediocre code generation.  The
license is only $1000, so it's a pretty cheap evaluation path.  I'll
be moving to HP in a couple weeks, so I'd be somewhat available for a
portation to the HP-9000/300 series (I sort of planned to do so anyway,
conditional on HP shelling out for a license).

	In general, I'd say that the one-pass compiler is a realistic
path for anyone with a 68000 box.  I cross-compiled it from my PC, using
Modula Corp's one-pass native 8086 compiler.  Very few problems indeed.
Some day I'll port the post-mortem debugger (included in the $1000) and
be in very good shape indeed.

				Andy Valencia
				vandys@lindy.stanford.edu
				br.ajv@rlg.BITNET

kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) (09/18/87)

In article <208@excell.colostate.edu> rro@excell.colostate.edu (Rod Oldehoeft) writes:
>We're looking for a 68k-based implementation of Modula-2 to run on
>HP computers.  Source code is desired, would be convenient if written
>in C.
>
>Rod Oldehoeft
>Computer Science Dept.
>Colorado State University
>hao!handel!rro
>rro@lll-crg.arpa

Hmm.  Oxxi Inc. Just released, in beta, with a full release scheduled
this month, a so-far-pretty-nice-looking M2 compiler for the Commodore
Amiga 1000, a 68K based machine.  Don't know if the company has any
leanings in the HP direction, but the author is on the net (Leon
Frenkel <ldf@killer.uucp>), so why not drop him a note?

Kent, the man from xanth.

		His expression lit up.  "Hey, you wouldn't be
		a dope smuggler, would you?"

		Rail looked confused.  "Why would anyone wish
		to smuggle stupidity when there is so much of
		it readily available?"

			-- Alan Dean Foster, GLORY LANE