[comp.sys.hp] syslogd on HP-UX

arons@iris.ucdavis.edu (Tom Arons) (12/05/87)

Has anyone successfully ported syslog(3) and syslogd from 4.2 or
4.3 BSD to HP-UX 5.3 running on a 9000 series 300?

It doesn't look like it would be too hard to do, but I don't want to
reinvent the wheel.

Tom Arons
Inet:	arons@iris.ucdavis.edu
Bitnet:	TGARONS@UCDAVIS
UUCP: {ucbvax,lll-crg}!ucdavis!iris!arons

jin@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Tai Jin) (12/07/87)

In article <641@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> arons@iris.ucdavis.edu (Tom Arons) writes:
>Has anyone successfully ported syslog(3) and syslogd from 4.2 or
>4.3 BSD to HP-UX 5.3 running on a 9000 series 300?

Yes, I've ported it.  Contact me to get a copy.

 ...tai (tai@atom.hpl.hp.com)

jv@mhres.mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (12/07/87)

In article <641@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> arons@iris.ucdavis.edu (Tom Arons) writes:
>Has anyone successfully ported syslog(3) and syslogd from 4.2 or
>4.3 BSD to HP-UX 5.3 running on a 9000 series 300?
>
>It doesn't look like it would be too hard to do, but I don't want to
>reinvent the wheel.

I once implemented a syslogd for HP-UX using message queues. I have posted
it to comp.sources.unix some time ago, but I can mail it if you cannot find
it.

Features: (almost) BSD compatible, no network support, runs as a daemon,
communicates with message queues.
If no daemon is running, calling 'syslog' is effectivily a no-op.
I have used it when I tried to get sendmail running.

--
Johan Vromans                              | jv@mh.nl via European backbone
Multihouse N.V., Gouda, the Netherlands    | uucp: ..{uunet!}mcvax!mh.nl!jv