[comp.sys.hp] HP-UX mailx blows up on RFC822

ruiu@tic.UUCP (Dragos Ruiu) (11/23/87)

Does anyone know why HP-UX mail (equiv SVR2 mail, mailx) blows up when asked
to reply to mail with an Internet (@) From: line ?

It really blows up, Segmentation Fault (core dumped)!

Before anyone replies with the obvious, I have tried the -U and set conv...
There is no rc file, so nothing funny is going on there, and I have tested
this with settings that *shouldn't* make a difference.

It doesn't complain at all, it just goes boom.

Here is a sample of mail-slaying mail:

>From dragos!work Sun Nov 22 15:39 MST 1987
>To: ruiu@tic
>Subject: let's try again
>Date: 22 Nov 87 15:23:46 MST (Sun)
>From: work@dragos.UUCP (Dragos Ruiu)
>
>fdsdafds

The reason I assume that the From: line is guilty is because the only cause
of the blow up seems to be system dragos switching to smail 2.5.

Please e-mail suggestions, will summarize on request.
Will post fix or workaround if this is really a bug and not my stupidity.
--
Dragos Ruiu          Disclaimer: My opinons are my employer's, I'm unemployed!
            UUCP:{ubc-vision,mnetor,vax135,ihnp4}!alberta!edson!tic!dragos!work

raveling@vaxa.isi.edu (Paul Raveling) (11/24/87)

	[I tried to answer via email, but got a mailer error of a type
	unknown to me, so will post.  BTW, the mailer error ocurred
	on a VAX running BSD4.3.  In my opinion the "universal" mail
	support on Un*x systems is a pile of dung, no matter which
	breed of Un*x it is.   I sincerely hope someone will flame
	me for this statement and prove there's GOOD mail support
	somewhere.]

In article <159@tic.UUCP> you write:
>Does anyone know why HP-UX mail (equiv SVR2 mail, mailx) blows up when asked
>to reply to mail with an Internet (@) From: line ?
>
>It really blows up, Segmentation Fault (core dumped)!

	I don't have that problem, although it's easy to imagine
	it could occur.  My best guess is there's probably something
	that needs a change in your sendmail.cf file.  I'm using
	a version that I hacked somewhat blindly -- sendmail's
	way of specifying address rewriting rules is atrocious.

	One possibility is the mailer invocation.  The sendmail.cf
	that came with our systems (I believe from HPLabs, at least
	a year ago) caused sendmail to invoke mail with a switch
	that mail didn't honor.

	If possible, get in touch with Peter Marvit (Marvit@hplabs.hp.com).
	He seems to be more adept with mail problems than anyone
	else on HP systems.

---------------------
Paul Raveling
Raveling@vaxa.isi.edu

ramin@scampi.UUCP (Fubar Void) (11/27/87)

In article <159@tic.UUCP>, ruiu@tic.UUCP (Dragos Ruiu) writes:
> Does anyone know why HP-UX mail (equiv SVR2 mail, mailx) blows up when asked
> to reply to mail with an Internet (@) From: line ?
>
> It really blows up, Segmentation Fault (core dumped)!
>
> Before anyone replies with the obvious, I have tried the -U and set conv...
> There is no rc file, so nothing funny is going on there, and I have tested
> this with settings that *shouldn't* make a difference.

Running mailx on HP9000/840, we had problems with segmentation faults.
This particular problem was with parsing errors in the mailrc file. An extra
space around an "=" was the problem in this case (*WE* were amused (:-))
Before that, another error was found to be *NOT* having an rc file (and
the necessary adjunct, an unreadable rc file. And yet another
was an accidental erasure of "sendmail.cf" which was restored. Mailx works
fine now, but is *VERY* touchy. Individual users can crash their copies
by not being careful in their .mailrc file. Fixes, reportedly, are in the
works...

Hope this helps...
r.

--

ramin@scampi.sc-scicon.com --or--
{ihnp4,lll-lcc,hoptoad}!scampi!ramin

rwhite@nusdhub.UUCP (12/04/87)

In article <159@tic.UUCP>, ruiu@tic.UUCP (Dragos Ruiu) writes:
> Does anyone know why HP-UX mail (equiv SVR2 mail, mailx) blows up when asked
> to reply to mail with an Internet (@) From: line ?
>
> It really blows up, Segmentation Fault (core dumped)!

If your problem is my problem, the issue is simple.  /bin/mailx
is sort of a front end for /bin/mail.  The biggest problem with
this is that /bin/mail dosn't know a @ from adam.  For inastance
if I say "mailx -U rwhite" [which is me] /bin/mail will choke
on the "rwhite@nusdhub" and return an error message ot the
tune of "unknown system name" or "user not found" or some such.
[I don't remember which]

My basic guess is that the either 1) your /bin/mail program has
not been hacked to return an error, or 2) the pipe-handler in your
kernel is doing odd things when the "@" is written to or read from
the pipe, or 3) when /bin/mailx is setting up the exec call to
/bin/mail it is violating some vaccous quoting standard for the
handeling of the @.

If you have an internet capable mailer, you should set sendmail=
under mailx, to that mailer's path, or loose the "@" entirly

Rob.

Disclaimer: Spelling only counts if a _machine_ is going to parse...

brian@hpirs.HP.COM (Brian Baer) (12/08/87)

Just to keep everyone posted...

We have contacted the customer and are working out a solution.

The problem was found in revision  38.1 of mailx(1)  on the 9000
Series 500 (specifically a 9050).  This problem  apparently does
not show up on s300 or s800 systems.

Brian Baer
HP ITG/ISD