[comp.sys.hp] Programming languages and tools for HP3000 under MPE V, anyone ?

jja@tut.fi (Ahola Jari) (12/24/87)

	Seasons Greetings to everybody!

	If anyone knows any programming languages and program development
	tools for a HP 3000 running MPE V, I'll be gratefull to hear
	about the products, availability and experiences you might have.
	I'm especially looking for a C- compiler, Assembler, Forth and
	nice debuggers (preferably source level), forget HP supported
	products: Cobol, RPG, Basic, Pascal, Fortran, SPL and Toolset.

			Tnx anyway
			    jja

	Tampere University Of Technology
		Finland

dbercel@toto (01/05/88)

In article <2244@cup.portal.com> Mike_W_Ryan@cup.portal.com writes:
>The INTERACT magezine, as noted, is a publication of the INTEREX users group.
>I was under the assumtion that any account with primary software support
>(even Responce Center Support) get the SSB, magezine, etc.).

I'm a regular INTERACT contributor and write a monthly column for INTERACT (The
Lighter Side). I have also been the DP Manager in a number of HP shops
and the magazine does not come with HP software support.

You can get the magazine in one of two ways. First, you can join INTEREX and
become an installation (or individual) member and get the magazine as
part of your membership. Or, you can subscribe to INTERACT just like you
would subscribe to any magazine.

INTEREX (and hence INTERACT and TC INTERFACE) are an independent organization
and not part of HP.

Hope this helps clear up any confussion.

Catch my column if you can find a copy of INTERACT. The Lighter Side began
with the December '87 issue and should be in all the 1988 issues.

danielle

--
*********************** UUCP:  {hplabs,decwrl}!sun!toto!{danielle,dbercel}
* Toto, I don't think * ARPA:  dbercel@sun.arpa

shankar@hpclscu.HP.COM (Shankar Unni) (01/05/88)

>+ Is that INTEREX smthng HP supported ?
>+ How to contact/get closer information ?

As far as I know, it is NOT HP-supported. Some stuff, however, does come with
glowing recommendations from HP. Some of the programs are real third-party
products, and come with all the bells and whistles. For a copy of INTERACT (the
HP3000 users group magazine), contact:

   INTEREX,
   680 Almanor Ave,
   Sunnyvale, CA 94088-3439.

For the specific request you had for C compilers, assemblers,...:

The C compiler can be had from:

   Corporate Computer Systems,
   33 W. Main St.,
   Holmdel, NJ 07733-3302.

They also provide some Unix-like tools like Make, Grep, and a source-code
control system.

The only "assembler" on the hp3000, as far as I know, is the SPL compiler
(which has a fancy "assemble" statement). In general, avoid doing anything
in assembly on the 3000. If you *really* need to use the machine instructions,
or manipulate the stack (the 3000 has a stack architecture, if you didn't
already know), use SPL.
Shankar Unni
Unix Mail: shankar@hpclscu , shankar%hpclscu@hpda
HPMAIL:    SHANKAR UNNI/HPUNIX/UX
Telnet:    1-447-5797

sfr@praxis.co.uk (Stephen Rickaby) (01/12/88)

In article <1340005@hpclscu.HP.COM> shankar@hpclscu.HP.COM (Shankar Unni)
writes:

>For the specific request you had for C compilers, assemblers,...:
>
>The C compiler can be had from:
>
>   Corporate Computer Systems,
>   33 W. Main St.,
>   Holmdel, NJ 07733-3302.

A source of CCS software in the United Kingdom is

	Zyxomma Ltd.,
	40 Littledown Drive,
	Queens Park,
	Bournemouth,
	Dorset BH7 7AQ      Tel (UK) 0202 354533

They may also stock other software for the 3000 which might be of
interest.

Steve Rickaby                                     |    ,,,
Praxis Systems plc                                |  < O_O >
20 Manvers Street, Bath, BA1 1PX, UK              | ==( . )==
Tel: +44 225 444700 Tx: 445848 PRAXIS G           |         Prrrouwf, Wackwacka
sfr%praxis.uuc@ukc.ac.uk                          |
!mcvax!ukc!praxis!sfr                             |
'1$x/\{{[^}]*}\}/\{<1\}/q/' ... do it in lower case, it's more polite.

jja@tut.fi (Ahola Jari) (01/16/88)

Thank you all of you who have answered my question about these HP3000
utilities and programs, I've forwarded the answers to our SM and he
is enquiring magazines and programs in the first hand through a national
user group and if this doesn't help, we'll use the addresses you have sent.
From your answers I've determined that most of you use/have used many
of these utilities, so if you can, please send a short description of
the best utilities you have used: What, who sells, how much,
 whatyathinkaboutit ? I'll be very pleased to get your comments !