[comp.sys.hp] HP 28S questions

malloy@crash.cts.com (Sean Malloy) (01/23/88)

In article <676@elxsi.UUCP> rw@beatnix.UUCP (Russell Williams) writes:

>Does anyone know:
>
>1. What (if any) differences are there between the 28S and 28C besides
>   the amount of memory (32K vs. 2K)?

According to the brochure I got this afternoon, the _only_ difference
is that there is 32K memory, rather than 2K (discounting cosmetic
differences -- it now says "Advanced Scientific Calculator" on the
panel above the display.

>2. Has HP solved their yield problems or is there any word on availability
>   better than "months away"?

When I talked to the EduCalc people, they said that HP was still
having the yield problem, and that they (EduCalc) already had a
backlog of orders, but expected them to start coming in around the
middle of February. When I talked to the guy running the calculator
desk at the Tam's Stationers near San Diego State U., he checked his
distributer and got a date around February 1. No fool, I filled out a
special order form to get notified as soon as they come in.

--
	Sean Malloy {hplabs!hp-sdd, akgua, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!malloy
		ARPA: crash!malloy@nosc

billw@hpcvra.HP.COM (Bill Wickes) (01/26/88)

There are a number of differences between the HP-28C and HP-28S.  Here's
a brief summary of the modifications/enhancements present in the
28S:

* 32 Kbytes of RAM
* Directory system for USER menu
* Custom menu in which you can combine user variables and built-in commands.
* Save, retrieve and combine LCD pictures/plots.
* Combinations and permutations
* Plotting continues despite math errors/exceptions.
* POS (position) finds an object in a list.
* A(I) returns the Ith element of a list or array, within an algebraic,
  allowing indexed variables.  A(I,J) works too.
* User defined functions may be defined with programs.
* Command arguments requiring real numbers in lists permit use of
  programs or symbolics in place of the numbers.
* Double-space print mode available.
* Programs decompile and print with automatic indentation to show
  control structures.
* Single character operators automatically add needed spaces in program entry.
* Press ON-L together to dump LCD image to printer at any time.
* RND (round) works on complex and array objects.
* Singular matrix inversion is tied to the divide-by-zero exception flag.
* Errors automatically identify the guilty command.
* Various 28C bugs fixed.
* Other minor tweaks.

conte@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (01/26/88)

> When I talked to the EduCalc people, they said that HP was still
> having the yield problem, and that they (EduCalc) already had a
> backlog of orders, but expected them to start coming in around the
> middle of February.  ...

Do you know what price EduCalc will be charging, or is that also up in
the air?

Tom Conte      Center for Supercomputing Research & Development
               University of Illinois
The opinions expressed are my own, just mine, not the Center's, not Cedar's...
uucp:	 ...!uiucdcs!uicsrd!conte    bitnet:	conte@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu
arpanet: conte@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu

dale@lamont.Columbia.edu (dale chayes) (01/28/88)

Its wonderfull to hear that the 28S fixes the bugs in the 28C and
that its lots faster, it would be even better to hear about how
to trade up. The release of bigger/faster/fixed so quickly leads me
to hope that it will be possible.

--
Dale Chayes Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory of Columbia University
usmail: Route 9W, Palisades, N.Y.  10964

conte@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (01/30/88)

>> When I talked to the EduCalc people, they said that HP was still
>> having the yield problem, and that they (EduCalc) already had a
>> backlog of orders, but expected them to start coming in around the
>> middle of February.  ...
>
>Do you know what price EduCalc will be charging, or is that also up in
>the air?

To answer my own question, I called, it is the same as the old price
for the 28C, 179.95!

>Tom Conte      Center for Supercomputing Research & Development

and again,

malloy@crash.cts.com (Sean Malloy) (01/31/88)

In article <44700005@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu> conte@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:

>> When I talked to the EduCalc people, they said that HP was still
>> having the yield problem, and that they (EduCalc) already had a
>> backlog of orders, but expected them to start coming in around the
>> middle of February.  ...
>
>Do you know what price EduCalc will be charging, or is that also up in
>the air?

They said that it would be selling for the same price that the 28C was
selling for -- $179.95.

	Sean Malloy {hplabs!hp-sdd, akgua, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!malloy
		ARPA: crash!malloy@nosc
	Naval Personnel Research and Development Center
	San Diego, CA 92152-6800
		UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd, akgua, sdcsvax}!nprdc!malloy
		ARPA: malloy@nprdc
--
	Sean Malloy {hplabs!hp-sdd, akgua, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!malloy
		ARPA: crash!malloy@nosc
	Naval Personnel Research and Development Center
	San Diego, CA 92152-6800
		UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd, akgua, sdcsvax}!nprdc!malloy
		ARPA: malloy@nprdc

conte@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (02/04/88)

Since I have gotten many requests for the address of EduCALC, here it
is:
	EduCALC Mail Store
	27953 Cabot Road
	Laguna Niguel, CA 92677

Orders can be placed by calling 1-800-633-2252, ext. 345.  If you ask
them to put you on the waiting list for the 28S, they will take your
credit card number; then, when the calculators come in, they will charge
your account and ship the calculator to you.  Again, the price for the
28S will be $179.95 from them.  The price for shipping via UPS is $3.00.