[comp.sys.hp] Speeding up the HP28C

bmaraldo@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Commander Brett Maraldo) (02/04/88)

  I recieved a preliminary copy of Dr. WAC Mier-Jedrzejowicz book,
  'Customize Your HP-28C'.  It is excellent and I suggest it to anyone who
  owns a 28C.  In it, he describes how to speed-up the 28C by changing two
  capacitors.  The speed increase is bout 180%.  This makes a big
  difference on all operations.  Happily, the clock and beeper functions
  are unaffected as they are controlled by a quartz clock.  If you are
  interested in a description of the modification, please email me.  Better
  yet, buy Mier's book (preliminary copies are only available 'to friends'
  and the book will be ready in the Spring).

				Brett L Maraldo

  p.s. I want an HP28S.  Is there any trade-up arrangements being made by
  hp or other companies (i can put another 32k (or even 64k) in my 28C but
  i can't change the software).  Do you think it would simply be a matter
  of changing the ROMs??

--
               --------     Unit 36 Research     ---------
	                "Alien Technology Today"

billw@hpcvra.HP.COM (Bill Wickes) (02/07/88)

I understand Educalc is offering a $50 trade-in of HP-28C's for 28S's.

Note also that the 28S is completely new electronics compared to the
28C.  The CPU, one display driver, and 64K of ROM are integrated
into a single IC (there are two of these).  The 32K RAM is a commercial
part, not a Saturn RAM.  These points mean a) you can't make
a 28C into a 28S, and b) you can't add RAM to a 28S--it's hard configured.

conte@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (02/07/88)

> /* Written 11:21 am  Feb  3, 1988 by bmaraldo@watdcsu.waterloo.edu in uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.hp */
>
>  I recieved a preliminary copy of Dr. WAC Mier-Jedrzejowicz book,
>  'Customize Your HP-28C'.  It is excellent and I suggest it to anyone who
>  owns a 28C.  In it, he describes how to speed-up the 28C by changing two
>  capacitors.  The speed increase is bout 180%.  This makes a big
>  difference on all operations.  Happily, the clock and beeper functions
>  are unaffected as they are controlled by a quartz clock.

`Clock functions?'  What clock functions?  I know that the 18C has a
clock, and the two machines (18C and 28C) have the same processor (actually
from the 71B). [This from an issue last summer of HP Journal]  However,
I had thought the clock was not accessable in the 28C.

The 28S's have started shipping.  The machine seems faster than the 28C,
especially when plotting.  Just eyeballing it I would say that 180% increase
over the 28C is a reasonable description of the 28S's performance, so HP
might have also incorporated this fix into the `S.

Tom Conte      Center for Supercomputing Research & Development
               University of Illinois
The opinions expressed are my own, just mine, not the Center's, not Cedar's...
uucp:	 ...!uiucdcs!uicsrd!conte    bitnet:	conte@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu
arpanet: conte@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu

conte@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (02/07/88)

> `Clock functions?'  What clock functions? ...

Just a clarification: I'm asking if there is a real-time clock, I know
there has to be a system clock.  However, implying that the speedup
doesn't alter the `clock' suggests this isn't the system clock you're
talking about.

bmaraldo@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Commander Brett Maraldo) (02/10/88)

In article <44700011@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu> conte@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:
>Just a clarification: I'm asking if there is a real-time clock, I know
>there has to be a system clock.  However, implying that the speedup
>doesn't alter the `clock' suggests this isn't the system clock you're
>talking about.

   The CPU uses an LC time base as a clock while everything else uses a
crystal controlled ocs.  The mod to increase the speed of the CPU clock
does not affect the Xtal clock.  This means the beeper & real time clock
(#123 SYSEVAL) are unaffected.  The printer I/O uses the CPU clock for
sync so the speed upgrade will make the printer port useless on the
HP printer.

				Brett L Maraldo

--
               --------     Unit 36 Research     ---------