[comp.sys.hp] Apple Challenges HP: the REAL target

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (03/21/88)

So, has anyone else figured out the *real* target of Apple's suit?  It isn't
Windows, they could have sued years ago.  I think the real target is OS/2's
Presentation Manager--"kill it before it gets off the ground".  The suit asks
for an injunction against Windows and all derivative works, and the PM would
certainly be classed as a derivative work.

I think Apple has a lot of chutzpah for suing HP/MS over what is essentially
Xerox PARC's user interface....

--
{harvard,ucbvax}!b.gp.cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=- TalkNet: (412)268-3053 (school)
ARPA: RALF@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU |"Tolerance means excusing the mistakes others make.

sas@bcd-dyn.UUCP (432 2370.00) (03/23/88)

Suppose the target really is PM - Might IBM loan it's "partner" the legal
expertise necessary to fight off this ridiculous suit?  I think it's obvious
from the timing that the real target is PM, but I still question why anyone
would want a graphic interface anyway (personal bias, I HATE MICE!).  But,
if IBM does get involved (Friend of the court????), it could get very
interesting!
Scott A. Sharkey                        UUCP: cbosgd!osu-cis!bcd-dyn!sas
Battelle Memorial Institute             USPS: 505 King Ave., Columbus, OH  43201
(614) 424-4067                          Who?  Me?  I Just work here!

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Resident Scatologist) (03/27/88)

The real target of Apple's law suit seems to be Apple's own foot.
It certainly leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  I'd rather see Apple
focus on innovation, and say, "Presentation Manager?  Yawn.  Who
cares if it is a copy of the MacIntosh environment?  We are coming
out with this nifty new... ... next month!"

Apple is essentaily admitting that htey can't do any better than
they have done, and don't have any tricks remaining up the
corporate sleeve.

In other venues of business if some guy makes a mouse trap as good
as yours, then you go and invent something better to keep your
sales going.

Eventhough Apple has gotten large, IBM is still a bigger entity and
can still roll over Apple in a big blue steamroller full of
lawyers.  If anything, Apple benefits by all the publicity
surrounding the media hoopla.

--Bill

ssd@sugar.UUCP (Scott Denham) (03/29/88)

In article <2245176c@ralf.home>, Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
> So, has anyone else figured out the *real* target of Apple's suit?  It isn't
> Windows, they could have sued years ago.  I think the real target is OS/2's
> Presentation Manager--"kill it before it gets off the ground".  The suit asks
> for an injunction against Windows and all derivative works, and the PM would
> certainly be classed as a derivative work.

That's an intersting possiblilty - what's even MORE interesting is what
it implies. OS/2 is the first OS in IBM's new "unified" operating systems
environment SAA (Systems Application Architecture).  If, in fact, Apple's
target is the OS/2 PM, then they are also shooting at the SAA graphics
interface for not only OS/2, but the S/36 and S/370 architecture lines as
well. Now THAT's a big target!!!  However, I seriously doubt if Scully
and co. will manage to slow down the IBM juggernaut any more than a mild
headwind affects a Sherman tank!

     Scott Denham