[comp.sys.hp] HP9000 500 versus 800

jv@mhres.mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (04/01/88)

In article <1340009@hpclscu.HP.COM> shankar@hpclscu.HP.COM (Shankar Unni) writes:
>>[stuff about the 500 being a solid machine]
>Thanx for the compliment. The 825 is pretty solid, too. Our s800 HP-UX (on
>a different CPU) has not had a crash in over 2 years. The only problem we
>ever had were a few mysterious swap errors which were traced down to an old,
>faulty disk with a bad head.
>
>The 500 had the unfortunate problem of being squeezed from both above (by
>the new s800's) and below (by the s300's - 680x0 based boxes).

As a software producing company we are using a dual-cpu model 500 for
development. We are committed to X/Open, System V etc., and these are the
things we are *NOT* going to get on our 500.
Buying an 800 system is a no-no. Besides, when will this machine be phased
out due to whatever reasons?

A frozen system is very stable, but not in a moving market.

--
Johan Vromans                              | jv@mh.nl via European backbone
Multihouse N.V., Gouda, the Netherlands    | uucp: ..{uunet!}mcvax!mh.nl!jv

campbelr@hpsel1.HP.COM (Bob Campbell) (04/05/88)

> Buying an 800 system is a no-no. Besides, when will this machine be phased
> out due to whatever reasons?
>
> Johan Vromans                              | jv@mh.nl via European backbone
> Multihouse N.V., Gouda, the Netherlands    | uucp: ..{uunet!}mcvax!mh.nl!jv
> "It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
----------
The 9000s800 and 3000s900 computers (known as the Spectrum Project) are the
result of trying to merge our various families of computers into one
compatible family.  The products we have shipped, annouced or still working
on will be around for some time to come.

As for the series 500, all I can suggest is that you contact your local
sales office and strongly suggest that you strongly desires updates and
are willing to pay for the product.  The 800 series was developed to avoid
this problem in the future.

Bob Campbell                Some times I wish that I could stop you from
campbelr@hpda.hp.com        talking, when I hear the silly things you say.
Hewlett Packard                                    - Elvis Costello
HP-UX System Interface & Recovery Testing