[comp.sys.hp] Is Apple Becoming Paranoid?

mjb@raider (Mark Bailey) (04/18/88)

I don't follow Apple very much (not my cup of tea), but it seems to me
that Apple has flipped (or at least its leaders).  They seem to be sueing
everyone.  I wonder if they are going to sue themselves?  Does it look to
some of the rest of you like Apple may be a bit paranoid and is reacting
like a sacred child, wildly acusing and swinging at all within reach.  I
like the Mac's operation as far as ease of use, but I discourage all my
clients from buying Apple since it is like a dead-end street with one
avenue of innovation and expansion (at LARGE prices), and really out of
the reach of some, and not sufficient for others.  I like to see that
same ease of use in other, more competitive products.  Actually,
competition is what makes the world much nicer.

Apple may have good reason for thinking that they can sue the world and
win.  But it seems to me that if they want the courts to take them
seriously, and not as just a child throwing a tantrum at life, then they
would not go sueing everyone at once, making their case more and more far
fetched.  I am not a lawyer, but a little common sense has come thru in
the past.  Anybody else picking up on these ideas?

Mark Bailey.
mjb@raider.UUCP | root@mjbtn.UUCP

---
 * Origin: Raiders Roost: Mid TN's FIRST FIDO<->UUCP GATEWAY ! (Opus 1:116/12)
SEEN-BY: 116/12

--
     ______
    /     / * Middle Tennessee's FIDO<->UUCP Gateway *    (615) 896-7964

mkgrass@uokmax.UUCP (Marilyn kay Grass) (04/21/88)

In article <4.226AD330@raider> mjb@raider (Mark Bailey) writes:

>I don't follow Apple very much (not my cup of tea), but it seems to me
>that Apple has flipped (or at least its leaders).  They seem to be sueing
>everyone.  I wonder if they are going to sue themselves?  Does it look to
>some of the rest of you like Apple may be a bit paranoid and is reacting
>like a sacred child, wildly acusing and swinging at all within reach.

I see Apple's suit against Microsoft (Windows look-and-feel) as a shrewd move
to attempt a delay of the release of the OS/2 Presentation Manager, effectively
throwing a monkey wrench into IBM and Microsoft's plans.  I doubt a significant
judgment will come out of the suit.  It merely serves Apple's short-term
interests and annoys Big Blue and friends.

Whether or not this a wise strategy is debatable.  It certainly hurts Apple's
relationship with the MS-DOS world, a relationship that was never all that
close.  I'm no fan of Apple, IBM, Microsoft, or any other big player, but their
shenanigans affect all microcomputer users.

alexc@psu-cs.UUCP (World Class Hacker) (04/24/88)

In article <4.226AD330@raider> mjb@raider (Mark Bailey) writes:

>I don't follow Apple very much (not my cup of tea), but it seems to me
>that Apple has flipped (or at least its leaders).  They seem to be sueing
>everyone.
	I agree. Have had too much mousing last night ?
[ text deleted ]