[comp.sys.hp] HP-71B Accessories, info. wanted.

rsk@usl.usl.edu (Reddy S. Kosireddy) (04/19/88)

I just bought a HP-71B, and I want to get in touch with any of you
who are familiar with it , OR own it. I want to know more about the
HP-71B's HP IL accessories, the HP IL/RS232c, HP IL/GPIB interfaces,
the data acquisition control unit, etc., and especially about the
Forth/Assembler/Debugger.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Has anyone of you done some interesting "things", projects etc. with it?
If so, I greatly appreciate if you share the ideas with me.

I read an article in "Machine Design" which talks about a "three-legged robot"
called "skitter", developed at  Georgia Tech. It can be made to "walk",
etc. under the control of a HP-71B. The thing has a small nuematic/hydraulic
cylinder and six actuators. VERY interesting.

I would like to buy any of the above accessories if any of you are willing
to sell. I would also like know a good source for these and other
HP accessories, and also for their literature (HP-71B hardware specifications,
Internal design specifications, etc.).

Thankyou in advance

Reddy

Jake-S@cup.portal.com (04/21/88)

Many of the things you speak of are available from Educalc in California.
Address is 27953 Cabot Road, Laguna Niguel, Calif 92677. Phone is
714-582-2637 . They have excellent technical people there to answer
questions. Their quarterly catalog covers all HP handhelds and their third
party accessories, software, hardware, etc. They will send you the latest
catalog (120 pages) free if you request one.

The latest incarnation of a US HP handheld users group (run by the guy who
did the Skitter Robot software, by the way) is the Handheld Program Exchange,
or HPX for short. They publish a 6-time a year 32-page newsletter covering
HP70 series, 28, 40 and 10-series machines.  HPX can be reached at
P.O. Box 566727, Atlanta Georgia 30356.

frank@zen.UUCP (Frank Wales) (04/23/88)

[I tried mailing this direct, but couldn't get it through.]

In article <307@usl.usl.edu> rsk@usl.usl.edu (Reddy S. Kosireddy) writes:
>I just bought a HP-71B, and I want to get in touch with any of you
>who are familiar with it , OR own it. I want to know more about the
>HP-71B's HP IL accessories, the HP IL/RS232c, HP IL/GPIB interfaces,
>the data acquisition control unit, etc., and especially about the
>Forth/Assembler/Debugger.
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Has anyone of you done some interesting "things", projects etc. with it?
>If so, I greatly appreciate if you share the ideas with me.
>
>I would like to buy any of the above accessories if any of you are willing
>to sell. I would also like know a good source for these and other
>HP accessories, and also for their literature (HP-71B hardware specifications,
>Internal design specifications, etc.).
>
>Thankyou in advance

First, here is here are the addresses of the leading User Groups which
deal with the HP-71 (and all other HP handhelds):

UNITED KINGDOM

Membership and journal enquiries to:

HPCC,
Geggs Lodge,
Hempton Road,
Deddington,
Oxon OX5 4QG,
England

Other enquiries to:
HPCC,
40, Heathfield Road,
London W3 8EJ
England
Active, publish a journal DATAFILE and arrange a conference every year.

USA

HPX
P.O. Box 566727,
Atlanta,  GA 30356,
USA
Publishes a journal HPX Exchange

It will be well worth your while joining one of these groups.

Additionally, much information can be got from the EduCalc Mail store at:
27953 Cabot Road, Laguna Niguel, CA 92677, (714) 582-2637.

For your information, we (Zengrange) are HP's largest Independent Custom
Consultant for their handheld computer division, and we have done
much (software and hardware)work on the HP-71 (as well as the HP-41, and
HP-9000 computers).

Many other companies produce products such as memory and EPROM units for
the HP-71, and much software is available from third parties.  Your best
source of initial information about these is the EduCalc catalogue,
available free from EduCalc.  I would recommend that you get this, and
that you write to HPX for further information.  Feel free to call this
office too, if you want more information on our activities.

I hope this helps.

--
Frank Wales, Development Engineer,    [frank@zen.uucp<->mcvax!zen.co.uk!frank]
Zengrange Ltd., Greenfield Rd., Leeds, ENGLAND, LS9 8DB. (+44) 532 489048 x220

samc@hpccc.HP.COM (Samuel Chau) (04/25/88)

>I just bought a HP-71B, and I want to get in touch with any of you
>who are familiar with it , OR own it. I want to know more about the
>HP-71B's HP IL accessories, the HP IL/RS232c, HP IL/GPIB interfaces,
>the data acquisition control unit, etc., and especially about the
>Forth/Assembler/Debugger.
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Except for the HP3421 Data Acquisition Control Unit, I have the other
accessories for the HP-71B.

>Has anyone of you done some interesting "things", projects etc. with it?
>If so, I greatly appreciate if you share the ideas with me.
How about using the HP-71B as a terminal, using the HP 80-column video
interface to drive a monochrome monitor, and a full-sized keyboard to
replace the virtually "un-typable" keyboard of the '71?

>I read an article in "Machine Design" which talks about a "three-legged robot"
>called "skitter", developed at  Georgia Tech. It can be made to "walk",
>etc. under the control of a HP-71B. The thing has a small nuematic/hydraulic
>cylinder and six actuators. VERY interesting.
I have access to another article on this subject.  It was published in an issue
of the journal done by a HP handheld users group called HPX (Handheld
Programming Exchange).

>I would like to buy any of the above accessories if any of you are willing
>to sell. I would also like know a good source for these and other
>HP accessories, and also for their literature (HP-71B hardware specifications,
>Internal design specifications, etc.).
A good source for HP handheld equipment and peripherals is:
EduCALC Mail Store
27953 Cabot Rd.
Laguna Niguel,  CA 92677
(800) 633-2252, ext 342

EduCALC carries all HP handhelds (HP-71B, HP-41C/V/X, HP-11/12/15/16C as
well as the newer HP-28S and HP-19B) along with all their peripherals and
HP-IL equipment.  I have never been one of their customers, but I happen to
know a guy working there who used to run an HP handheld users group much
like HPX.  He is as knowledgeable about the HP-71B as Big Blue is about
PCs.  Absolutely no kidding.  His name is Richard Nelson.  If you call
EduCALC, ask for him and direct all your questions to him.

Since I am rapidly moving away from HP handheld machines, I might be willing
to sell some of my HP-71B equipment.  Contact me directly and I can help you
get in touch with HPX also.

Happy programming!

Sam Chau
1200 Murchison Drive