[comp.sys.hp] Networking an HP3000

shan@mcf.UUCP (Sharan Kalwani) (04/26/88)

Hello World!

	The subject line says it all. Our local HP rep doesn't know
anything at all & we really need to network them together. I've heard TCP/IP
will be available soon - but could someone inform me better? We have
an Ethernet adaptor (DEUNA) on the VAX. To start with we would be happy
if the VAX users could logon to the HP and vice-versa. File Transfer,
telnet, SMTP mail could follow later.

	We really need your help, even serial lines with a dialout on
the HP would do (for the present).

	Many many thanks in advance!
--
Sharan Kalwani, VAX Facility, MCF, 110 East Warren Avenue, Detroit MI 48201
USENET  : 	...!{uunet!umix, pur-ee!iuvax, ucbvax!mtxinu}!mcf!shan

shankar@hpclscu.HP.COM (Shankar Unni) (04/28/88)

There is a company called "The Wollongong Group" which has done a (full?)
implementation of TCP/IP on the HP3000's. Contact them for details.

Shankar

root@bschp.UUCP (System Manager) (04/28/88)

In article <208@mcf.UUCP>, shan@mcf.UUCP (Sharan Kalwani) writes:
> ...We have
> an Ethernet adaptor (DEUNA) on the VAX. To start with we would be happy
> if the VAX users could logon to the HP and vice-versa. File Transfer,
> telnet, SMTP mail could follow later.

Remote logins means ARPA services. We are currently looking for software
to run on a VAX 750, an HP9000/550 and an HP3000/58. HP itself makes
(what they claim is) a nice interface if your VAX runs VMS. Ask your sales
rep to read up on the HP AdvanceNet Specification Guide pages 305 and 371
of the March 88 issue.

I know of only one company that is doing ARPA services for HP stuff. Try:
  The Wollongong Group
  1129 San Antonio Road
  Palo Alto, CA 94303-4374
  (415) 963-7100

I know they have a product for the HP9000 series computers. I believe that
they also have (or will soon) the same product for the HP3000s.

UUCP:  root@bschp                             | Steve Skidmore
       ...!gatech!sbmsg1!scbhq!bschp!root     | Director, Academic Computing
       ...!ihnp4!sbmsg1!scbhq!bschp!root      | Birmingham-Southern College
                                              | Box A-24 BSC
MaBell: (205)226-3033                         | B'ham AL 35254

johns@hpwalt.hp.com (John Silva) (04/29/88)

In article <1340016@hpclscu.HP.COM> shankar@hpclscu.HP.COM (Shankar Unni) writes:
>There is a company called "The Wollongong Group" which has done a (full?)
>implementation of TCP/IP on the HP3000's. Contact them for details.
>
>Shankar

  See this month's [April 88] HP Professional (an independent magazine - i.e.
  not associated with HP) page 90, for an ad by the Wollongong Group that
  announces the WIN/H3000 software for HP3000 TCP/IP services.  The ad
  quotes prices of $7500 - $12000.

   Contact : (quoted from the ad)

	The Wollongong Group
	1129 San Antonio Rd.
	P.O. Box 51860,
	Palo Alto, CA  94303
	AT&T 1-415-962-7100

   Hope this helps,
	John Silva (johns@hpwalt.hp.com)

shan@mcf.UUCP (Sharan Kalwani) (04/29/88)

In article <1340016@hpclscu.HP.COM> shankar@hpclscu.UUCP writes:
>There is a company called "The Wollongong Group" which has done a (full?)
>implementation of TCP/IP on the HP3000's. Contact them for details.

Somebody else at HP Inf.Net.Divn. pointed out them to me. I have since
contacted them and the status is as that the product WIN/3000 will be
available end of May, currently they are doing training and documentation
and all that fun stuff. I am now consolidating all the info I got, eg
what are the components needed on the 3000 side and any hidden gotchas,
bridges necessary, etc. I am also waiting for prices and some more literature,
so anybody if interested, send me reminder (maybe two as I am always
deluged with work and it may just escape me..) and I'll forward anything
new that pops up since this time of writing.

There are a couple of small points to remember, but I'm sure HP will
smoothen them out in the future. Currently there are not plans to port
them product to the new Spectrum series (950, 930, etc.) but I'm sure
that will happen someday. By that I mean "native" mode, it will run
in emulation mode I'm told. Also if you do upgrade from the older
44, 70 series to the new ones you will have to change a few pieces of
hardware on the network-computer interface side. By the way, the marketing
types may not know all of this (yet), so be patient with them ;-).

Thanks to all those who helped!
--
sharan kalwani, vax facility, mcf, 110 east warren avenue, detroit mi 48201
usenet  : ...!{uunet!umix, pur-ee!iuvax, ucbvax!mtxinu, ihnp4!mibte}!mcf!shan