[comp.sys.hp] LOOKING FOR: A way to run Apple ][ S/W on PC-compatibles

mjb@raider (Mark Bailey) (04/12/88)

There is supposed to be a board out that plugs right in to the PC bus and
lets you run Apple ][ software.  I have only heard about it on TV and
from a few other sources, but I did hear it!  You should be able to get
more info from one of the hardware houses.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Mark Bailey.
mjb@raider.UUCP

---
 * Origin: Raiders Roost: Mid TN's FIRST FIDO<->UUCP GATEWAY ! (Opus 1:116/12)
SEEN-BY: 116/12

--
     ______
    /     / * Middle Tennessee's FIDO<->UUCP Gateway *    (615) 896-7964

dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Dave Goldblatt) (04/13/88)

From article <1.226046EC@raider>, by mjb@raider (Mark Bailey):

> There is supposed to be a board out that plugs right in to the PC bus and
> lets you run Apple ][ software.  I have only heard about it on TV and
> from a few other sources, but I did hear it!  You should be able to get
> more info from one of the hardware houses.

There was a board out a few years ago called "QuadLink", made by QuadRam,
Inc., which was essentially an Apple ][+ on a full-length card.  It allowed
you to read and write AppleDOS disks, and run most Apple software.

Price at the time was around $600.  Doubt it's still manufactured tho'.

-dg-

--

Internet: dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu    or:   dave@clutx.clarkson.edu
BITNET:   dave@CLUTX.Bitnet            uucp: {rpics, gould}!clutx!dave

srk@actnyc.UUCP (Shalom Krischer) (04/14/88)

In article <1.226046EC@raider> mjb@raider (Mark Bailey) writes:

>There is supposed to be a board out that plugs right in to the PC bus and
>lets you run Apple ][ software.  ......

       < rest deleted >

I have seen such a board in use.  About six years ago, one of the guys I
worked with had a board produced by QUADRAM.  I forget the name by now
(my memories are slowly fading into grey....) but it might have been QUADLINK.
I do not know if the board is still availiable, but it looked nice in those
days.  I remember one problem was that altough the apple disk drive allowed
half track stepping (a basis of one of the protection schemes), the IBM didn't.
Thus, some copy protected software did not run.  Good luck.

spectre@cisunx.UUCP (Robert L Sillett) (04/15/88)

Tandy has such a board.  It's called Trackstar 128 and costs $399.95.
Tandy says it runs Apple DOS 3.3, Pro-DOS, and Apple Pascal.  An article
about a year ago in Computer Shopper said it's about 98% compatible.

Robert Sillett
spectre@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu
spectre@pittvms
!unix!pitt!spectre

Robert L. Sillett, Jr.               spectre@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu.UUCP
University of Pittsburgh             spectre@pittvms.BITNET
                                     ..!pitt!unix!spectre.ARPANET

emrozek@ecsvax.UUCP (Ed Mrozek) (04/16/88)

> >There is supposed to be a board out that plugs right in to the PC bus and
> >lets you run Apple ][ software.  ......
>
>        < rest deleted >
>

> I have seen such a board in use.  About six years ago, one of the guys I
> worked with had a board produced by QUADRAM.........

Talk to your Tandy dealer.  They have this board available as a special order
item from Ft. Worth.  About a year (or two) ago, they circulated glossy
literature to customers at educational institutions which described the board
and whatever else was needed.  I don't know if they still support or sell
this product.

standard disclaimer.

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (04/27/88)

  There is someone who makes a computer designed to do this. It has the
ability to run Apple software as a task (more of less) of the DOS
session. I can't remember who it was, other than that it was a well
known brand. I may be able to find the add, or someone else may
remember.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

jockc@killer.UUCP (Jock Cooper) (04/30/88)

In article <10607@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:

>  There is someone who makes a computer designed to do this. It has the
>ability to run Apple software as a task (more of less) of the DOS
>session. I can't remember who it was, other than that it was a well
>known brand. I may be able to find the add, or someone else may
>remember.

Page 88SE-2 in the May 1988 BYTE describes a product called "II in a PC."
It is a //e emulator (software).  It has utilities for reading/writing Apple
5.25" and 3.5" disks.  The only catch is it only runs on PS/2 machines.
Price is something like $150 (single user), $595 (School Pac - 12 copies).

Contact:
		Computer:applications Inc.
		12813 Lindley Dr.
		Raleigh, NC 27614
		(919) 846-1411

jockc

ihnp4!killer!jockc

dipto@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Dipto Chakravarty) (05/03/88)

A product called TRACKSTAR is available which allows PC compatibles to
run most of the Apple II, IIe, II+ softwares. It is a board that needs
to be placed into one of the slots and hooked up with one of the two
floppy drives. That drive will then boot up an Apple DOS and subsequently
run Apple software.

Here is the name + address of the firm. I myself have tested this product
and have had 85% success with it in terms of running Apple softwares.

Diamond Computer Systems, Inc.
3380 Montgomery Drive
Santa Clara, CA 95054

Phone: (408)986-0100

--
BITNET : dipto@umbc.BITNET    ------\
ARPANET: dipto@umbc3.UMD.EDU  -------> In-real-life: Dipto Chakravarty

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (05/04/88)

I recently mentioned that there was an outfit which sells a PC which
will run both Apple and PC software using native hardware.Last night my
wife got a new catalogue, and here's the scoop:

	Model:	Cordata WPC Bridge
	List:	$1695

Item		DOS			Apple
CPU		8088 4.77/8 MHz		65C02 1.0 MHz
RAM		512K (to 768)		128K
Video modes	CGA, ATT 6300		40, 80 columns
		640x200, 640x400	double high resolution (?)
Internal mon.	12" mono 640x400	12" mono 720x360
Ext. monitor	CGA connector		Composite RGB
Disks		2 x 5-1/4		2 x 5-1/4
		3-1/2 supported		Apple disk drive supported
Other		3 8 bit slots,		Apple game port
		clock, 1S+1P		1S+1P
Options		20 MB hard disk, 8087

Includes AT style keyboard.

Cordata is made by Daewoo (the "D" in Leading Edge Model D) and is a
pretty solid box, although my wife has never sold one of this particular
model.

Since this isn't an ad, to find your local dealer
	USA	800-621-6746
	CA	800-331-5867
	Holland	31-02503-36530
	France	1-48632321

I have no connection other than that my wife sells the Cordata line. I
have not used one of these, just passing on the info.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

kaldis@topaz.rutgers.edu (Theodore A. Kaldis) (05/25/88)

In article <10607@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:

>   There is someone who makes a computer designed to do this. It has the
> ability to run Apple software as a task (more of less) of the DOS
> session. I can't remember who it was, other than that it was a well
> known brand. I may be able to find the add, or someone else may
> remember.

A couple of years ago, an acquaintance of mine had a board which fit
inside of a PC (it required a full-length slot), which had the
necessary hardware (6502, memory?, etc.) to allow the PC to run Apple
][ software.  I believe it was called the "Quadlink" by Quadram.  He
may still have it, though I know he's not using it.  If so, I can find
out if he's willing to part with it, if you'd like.
    Theodore A. Kaldis       |    kaldis@topaz.rutgers.edu
    P.O. Box #1212           |    {...}!rutgers!topaz.rutgers.edu!kaldis
    Woodbridge, NJ  07095    |    (201) 283-4855  (voice)