[comp.sys.hp] hp-28c

conte@uicsrd.CSRD.UIUC.EDU (03/06/87)

Well, I bought the printer for the HP-28C, the HP82240A.  It is compact,
lightweight, but has some drawbacks.  One is it produces a lot of noise,
sort of a mini-dinosaur-- not the type of thing one wants to use in the
library.  Also, it has strange battery requirements: as the battery
wears down, it will print slower.  With an AC adapter, you can set a
flag in the `28C, and the thing cranks, but draws power from the batteries
to do so.  All in all, though, it is a nice little printer.  I hope
someone in Corvallis gets the idea to make a module for the `41 to
run the thing.  That would be great.

Tom Conte      Center for Supercomputing Research & Development
               University of Illinois

uucp:	 ...!uiucdcs!uicsrd!conte    bitnet:	conte@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu
arpanet: conte%uicsrd@a.cs.uiuc.edu  (or conte@huey.udel.edu)

graeme@zen.UUCP (03/21/87)

In article <44700002@uicsrd> conte@uicsrd.CSRD.UIUC.EDU writes:

>Well, I bought the printer for the HP-28C, the HP82240A.  It is compact,
>lightweight, but has some drawbacks.  One is it produces a lot of noise,
>sort of a mini-dinosaur-- not the type of thing one wants to use in the
>library.  Also, it has strange battery requirements: as the battery
>wears down, it will print slower.  With an AC adapter, you can set a
>flag in the `28C, and the thing cranks, but draws power from the batteries
>to do so.  All in all, though, it is a nice little printer.  I hope
>someone in Corvallis gets the idea to make a module for the `41 to
>run the thing.  That would be great.
>

>Tom Conte      Center for Supercomputing Research & Development
>               University of Illinois

The main problem, as I see it, with the 28C I/O is the fundamental
lack of "I".  Corvallis products have, in the past, been noted for
their high reliability of both software and hardware.  One could
always rely on the calculator's operating system to protect the user
from entering invalid operations and reporting errors with reasonably
meaningful messages.  This security has all but been discarded with
the 28C and its printer.  The 28 happily blasts (or more accurately
oozes) out data into thin air hoping there is something out there
ready to receive it.  It has no way of knowing if the data has been
received correctly, or indeed at all.

This might be slightly more acceptable if there was some physical
connection between the calculator and its printer as this would
eradicate the possibility of two calcs trying to talk to the same
printer; it would also eliminate the problem of paper and the like
blocking the dataflow - a common problem on my desk.  At least they
should have added a checksum at the end of each line of output so the
printer could verify what it had received.

As for the quality of the printer itself: its slow, noisy and
generally tacky - I wouldn't let it near my 41.

And the 28C?  The power of this calculator is absolutely phenomenal.
I am constantly amazed at the things it can do.  It can solve complex
problems in a matter of seconds; its just such a shame it takes a
matter of hours to work out how.  This is thanks mainly to the 28C
manuals which rival the 82240 printer in the (lack of) quality stakes.

As for the programming language - this defies comprehension.  Never
before have I come across a language that uses prefix, infix AND
postfix notation in one statement. ...nuff said?

Graeme Cawsey		[graeme@zen.uucp<->..!mcvax!ukc!zen.co.uk!graeme]
Senior Programmer
Zengrange Ltd.

Disclaimer:  The above expressed opinions are mine and belong to me.
I tried to sell them to my employer but he wasn't interested.  My
employer believes that all CVD products are wonderful. :-)

roy@phri.UUCP (03/24/87)

In article <590@zen.UUCP> graeme@zen.UUCP (Graeme Cawsey) writes:
> Never before have I come across a language that uses prefix, infix AND
> postfix notation in one statement.

	What about C?  You can do "x = ++i + j++;", can't you?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

"you can't spell deoxyribonucleic without unix!"

daver@hpsgpa.UUCP (03/25/87)

>.....................................................  One could
>always rely on the calculator's operating system to protect the user
>from entering invalid operations and reporting errors with reasonably
>meaningful messages.  This security has all but been discarded with
>the 28C and its printer.  The 28 happily blasts (or more accurately
>oozes) out data into thin air hoping there is something out there
>ready to receive it.  It has no way of knowing if the data has been
>received correctly, or indeed at all.
>
>This might be slightly more acceptable if there was some physical
>connection between the calculator and its printer as this would
>eradicate the possibility of two calcs trying to talk to the same
>printer; it would also eliminate the problem of paper and the like
>blocking the dataflow - a common problem on my desk.  At least they
>should have added a checksum at the end of each line of output so the
>printer could verify what it had received.

A printer is an interesting device from this point of view, since it provides
instant feedback via the user.  The printer was designed to be reliable and
inexpensive.  The IR range was deliberately limited to avoid the problem of
interference between two calculators being used on adjacent desks.  Each byte
of data has an additional 4 bits of error-correction code which will correct
single-bit and many double-bit errors and detect most other errors.  In
addition, there are several levels of redundancy in the encoding of individual
bits to make the printer as immune as possible to outside interference.
Accidentally placing paper between the calculator and printer is equivalent to
accidentally pulling out the cable between a wired calculator and printer.  The
printer was designed to be easy to use and inexpensive (compare the price to
the older HP printers), and it is.  It is also capable and reliable, in the HP
tradition.

Dave Rabinowitz
hplabs!hp-pcd!daver

frank@zen.UUCP (03/27/87)

In article <2613@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>In article <590@zen.UUCP> graeme@zen.UUCP (Graeme Cawsey) writes:
>> Never before have I come across a language that uses prefix, infix AND
>> postfix notation in one statement.
>
>	What about C?  You can do "x = ++i + j++;", can't you?

But please remember the context of the language -- this is a *calculator*,
intended for use as a problem-solving tool; for many of its Users, it will
be their first exposure to computer programming.  Anybody who tries to learn
programming as a skill by learning C would be asking for trouble -- its
inconsistencies would obscure its benefits for computer neophytes -- and
anybody who believes otherwise has no business designing systems for
non-computerate end-Users (I don't think Roy is in this category).

So it is vital that the language on such a machine have as unhirsute a syntax
as possible, and I don't believe enough thought has gone into the
programming language [or, for that matter, the general User-interface]
on the 28C for this to be true.

>Roy Smith, {allegra,cmcl2,philabs}!phri!roy

 Frank Wales                  [frank@zen.uucp<->..!mcvax!ukc!zen.co.uk!frank]
 hand-held systems Development Engineer (and long-time calculator User)
[^^^^ ^^^^ ...this doesn't mean I'm a pixie, by the way...]
 Zengrange Limited, Greenfield Rd., Leeds, England	 +44 532 489048 x220

jules@zen.UUCP (03/29/87)

In article <2790003@hpsgpa.HP.COM> daver@hpsgpa.HP.COM (Dave Rabinowitz) writes:
>A printer is an interesting device from this point of view, since it provides
>instant feedback via the user.  The printer was designed to be reliable and
>inexpensive.  The IR range was deliberately limited to avoid the problem of
>interference between two calculators being used on adjacent desks.  Each byte
>of data has an additional 4 bits of error-correction code which will correct
>single-bit and many double-bit errors and detect most other errors.  In
>addition, there are several levels of redundancy in the encoding of individual
>bits to make the printer as immune as possible to outside interference.

Why aren't there check codes for complete  lines, or even better,  large
blocks  of data, so that when the  printer  notices  something  wrong it
could  flash  one of its  LED's to say  that an  error  has  occurred  ?
Another idea might be to have sequence  codes in with each block of data
so that the printer can spot a missing block.

>Accidentally placing paper between the calculator and printer is equivalent to
>accidentally pulling out the cable between a wired calculator and printer.  ..

WHAT?  They might be equivalent  in terms of data loss, but not in terms
likelihood of happening.

>..........................................................................  The
>printer was designed to be easy to use and inexpensive (compare the price to
>the older HP printers), and it is.  It is also capable and reliable, in the HP
>tradition.

Admittedly the printer is (by HP standards) reasonably  inexpensive, but
that is no  excuse  for it being  (like  the 18C and 28C) not up to HP's
normally  very  high  standards.  I, and most  other  people  who buy HP
calculators and hand-held computers, expect to pay more for them because
they are better made, more  reliable,  well designed and tend to do just
about  anything  you  want  them  to.  The  HP-41  has all of the  above
features  (including  a high price tag) and it has sold over a  million.
Is that such a bad formula to try and stick to.

If HP are not  careful  then  they  will end up  producing  the same old
boring cheap and nasty calculators that everybody else does.

By the way, PLEASE DON'T DITCH RPN, anyone who has used it wouldn't  buy
anything  else and it is  sickening to see a trend in HP towards the AOS
system.  Owners of HP  calculators  must be the most loyal of users, but
they won't be if HP's commitment to RPN doesn't continue.

Jules

--
IN-REAL-LIFE:  Julian Perry
E-MAIL:        jules@zen.co.uk || ...!mcvax!ukc!zen.co.uk!jules

JWHOLT01@ULKYVX.BITNET (05/23/88)

I am interested in getting some more information on the HP-28C
I want to know more about the SYSEVAL stuff.  I have the clock programs
and that is about all.  Our site seems to miss a lot of information or
something, so if someone could email me what they have on the 28c I would
appreciate it.  This is my first posting so if you don't like this let me
know so I can improve next time.
thanks again.

John W Holthaus   2000 Confederate Place  Apt 503    Louisville, KY 40208
UUCP: ...!psuvax1!ulkyvx.bitnet!jwholt01
BITNET: jwholt01@ulkyvx INTERNET: jwholt01%ulkyvx.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu

cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) (05/31/88)

I'm also interested in SYSEVAL stuff.  The previous poster mentioned clock
programs et. al., though I don't recognise the references.  Any interesting
programs anyone can send would be greatly appreciated, & I'll post a note
about my current program if I ever finish the thing...  :-)

-JimC
--
batcomputer!cloos@cornell.UUCP  |James H. Cloos, Jr.|#include <disclaimer.h>
cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.EDU|B7 Upson, Cornell U|#include <cute_stuff.h>