[comp.sys.hp] hp-ux online manuals

aledm@cvaxa.sussex.ac.uk (Aled Morris) (05/30/88)

Why don't the online manuals for HP-UX bear any similarity to the
pre-printed versions?  O.K., thats a bit of an exaggeration, but I
just read "man nlist", and it goes on about "nlist is implemented on
the series 200 and integral PC only".  The printed manual doesn't
say this at all (and I've got "nlist" on my series 300---I trust the
pre-printed opinion).

The formatting is also different - the pre-printed copies have a
traditional format to them, whereas the online ones have been HP-ified,
like the old release 5 manuals.  At least they were consistent.

HP-UX is release 6, on a 9000/320.

Aled Morris
systems programmer

Janet/Arpa: aledm@uk.ac.sussex.cvaxa   |   School of Cognitive Science
      uucp: ..!mcvax!ukc!cvaxa!aledm   |   University of Sussex
      talk: +44-(0)273-606755  e2372   |   Falmer, Brighton, England
  "I'm living in the future/I feel wonderful/I'm tipping over backwards...
I'm so ambitious/I'm looking back/I'm running a race/and your the book i read"

rml@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bob Lenk) (06/01/88)

> Why don't the online manuals for HP-UX bear any similarity to the
> pre-printed versions?  O.K., thats a bit of an exaggeration, but I
> just read "man nlist", and it goes on about "nlist is implemented on
> the series 200 and integral PC only".  The printed manual doesn't
> say this at all (and I've got "nlist" on my series 300---I trust the
> pre-printed opinion).

The online and printed manuals for any release come from the same
source, and should be identical (other than nroff vs. troff differences).

On my 6.0 system, the online nlist(3c) page has a header line saying
"Series 300, 800 only".  My printed 5.2 manual set says "Series 200,
300, 800 only".  Thus it seems that the page you have is from an earlier
release which pre-dates the series 800.  My guess that it still exists
on your machine due to some problem in updating.  I'd suggest looking
in the directories /usr/man/man3, /usr/man/man3.Z, /usr/man/cat3, and
/usr/man/cat3.Z to see what version(s) of the nlist page (and other
pages) may still be around.  The pages in the release should be in
/usr/man/man3.Z, and are probably dated something like Dec. 1, 1987,
but older pages elsewhere may override them.

		Bob Lenk
		{ihnp4, hplabs}!hpfcla!rml
		rml%hpfcla@hplabs.hp.com

dyker@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Barbara Dyker) (06/01/88)

In article <474@cvaxa.sussex.ac.uk> aledm@cvaxa.sussex.ac.uk (Aled Morris) writes:
>Why don't the online manuals for HP-UX bear any similarity to the
>pre-printed versions?...
>...The pre-printed manual doesn't
>say this at all (and I've got "nlist" on my series 300---I trust the
>pre-printed opinion).

That's odd.  On our system (5.5 on 320) if there is a discrepancy, the online
man pages have the most complete accurate info for the machine it is on.  My
experience has been that the pre-printed man pages are generic - the same for
200s, 300s, 500s, and 800s - but the online stuff only has what is applicable
to that series.  For maintaining two sets of manuals the information is most
consistent.  I'm suprised there aren't more discrepencies!

Quite annoying.

barb dyker		CSNET:	dyker@boulder.Colorado.EDU
			UUNET:	...rutgers!ncar!dinl!tosgcla!dyker

aledm@cvaxa.sussex.ac.uk (Aled Morris) (06/10/88)

In article <474@cvaxa.sussex.ac.uk>, aledm@cvaxa.sussex.ac.uk (me) writes:
> Why don't the online manuals for HP-UX bear any similarity to the
> pre-printed versions?
[flame flame...]

Bob Jewett at HP labs has pointed out that manual pages in release 6 of
HP-UX come compressed, in directories /usr/man/man*.Z and on investigation,
I discovered that the old release 5 manuals were not deleted during the
upgrade (could this be a fault in the upgrade scripts??!).  Of course, the
man command looks first in /usr/man/man* before the .Z directories, so
it was picking up on the old versions.

I can see the point in compressed manual sources, but why have compressed
cat* directories?  I thought that the whole point of cat* was to speed
up manual page reading.  And on the subject of speed, why is there a two
second delay after *quitting* more??!  Crazy system....

Aled Morris

Janet/Arpa: aledm@uk.ac.sussex.cvaxa   |   School of Cognitive Science
      uucp: ..!mcvax!ukc!cvaxa!aledm   |   University of Sussex
      talk: +44-(0)273-606755  e2372   |   Falmer, Brighton, England
   "I'm living in the future/I feel wonderful/I'm tipping over backwards...
I'm so ambitious/I'm looking back/I'm running a race/and you're the book I read"