[comp.sys.hp] Phil Katz

ghull@raider (Gordon Hull) (06/21/88)

In article <8084@brl-smoke.ARPA>, Keith Petersen writes:

   > This is really incredible!  SEA is suing Phil Katz, the
   > author of PK(X)ARC. ...

This is indeed an interesting development.  A couple of points need
to be     brought out:

1. SEA's ARC and PK(X)ARC are not the only archive programs in existence.
 On local boards, I have seen at least two others - ZOO.ARC, and NARCxx.ARC.

2. To the best of my knowledge, the Ziv-Lempel-Welch algorithm is not
the property of SEA.  If it was, it would be called the "SEA algorithm"
:-)   SEA can't sue for infringement of a copyright they don't have.

 Ziv-Lempel-Welch has appeared in a number of textbooks and magazine

articles; I would think that it is in the same category as Breshnam's
algorithm.

           It sounds to me like SEA is taking the Lotus approach -

resorting to litigation to compete with a superior product!

_______________________
Gordon Hull

USENET:  ghull@raider.uucp
FIDONET: Gordon Hull at 1:116/12
USMAIL:  Gordon Hull, 907 Kay St. Murfreesboro, TN 37130

FROM CommStuff IMPORT StdDisclaimer;

---
 * Origin: Raiders Roost: Mid TN's FIRST FIDO<->UUCP GATEWAY ! (Opus 1:116/12)
SEEN-BY: 116/12

--
     ______
    /     / * Middle Tennessee's FIDO<->UUCP Gateway *      (615) 896-7964