[comp.sys.hp] Display functions on the Rugged-Writer 480

steve@tic.UUCP (Steve Drake) (06/20/88)

	Hi again.  I am doing some work programming a Rugged-Writer printer
from HP and just found out that when you go to disable the display functions
you always get a capital Z printed out.  Is there some way to get around this?
Does anyone else out there use the Rugged-Writer?
	E-mail is just fine.  Thank You.

		Steve Drake
		UUCP   ..!alberta!edson!tic!steve

rjn@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bob Niland) (06/21/88)

re: "...programming a Rugged-Writer printer..."

> ...to disable the display functions you always get a capital Z printed out.

If you are using the RS-232C or Centronics interface, your only probable
choice is to emit enough <SPACE> characters to place the <ESC>Z on the paper
perforations (or off the page), then use <BACKSPACE>, reverse tab, reverse
cursor or direct cursor addressing to place the print head back where you
left off.

You didn't mentioned which host computer you are using...  If you are using
the HP-IB interface, and have secondary commands enabled (SRM or Series 800
HP-UX only at present), then there may be a secondary command ("AMIGO"
command) that silently disables display functions.  Check the HP-IB section
of the printer reference manual.

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland                                            3404 East Harmony Road
ARPA:rjn%hpfcrjn@hplabs.HP.COM                        Fort Collins
UUCP:hplabs!hpfcla!rjn                                CO          80525-9599

rjn@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bob Niland) (06/21/88)

re: "...your only probable choice is to emit enough <SPACE> characters..."

Nope.  I see in the manual that you can also download character images.
Since you are likely using display functions (DF) to print the NBS symbols
for ASCII control characters, be advised that you can simulate this same
operation *without* using DF, by downloading (as ordinary printable
characters codes) the character image(s) desired.

In other news...  Looking at the HP-IB section, I see that there is
apparently no secondary command to disable DF.

Bob Niland   ARPA:rjn%hpfcrjn@hplabs.HP.COM   UUCP:[ihnp4|hplabs]!hpfcla!rjn

jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) (06/22/88)

In article <1679@tic.UUCP> steve@tic.UUCP (Steve Drake) writes:
+
+	Hi again.  I am doing some work programming a Rugged-Writer printer
+from HP and just found out that when you go to disable the display functions
+you always get a capital Z printed out.
+		Steve Drake
+		UUCP   ..!alberta!edson!tic!steve

This is standard HP. Every terminal and printer that I have does this.

--
See above 	 (214)661-8960

ignoffo@hpvcla.HP.COM (John Ignoffo) (06/24/88)

>	Hi again.  I am doing some work programming a Rugged-Writer printer
>from HP and just found out that when you go to disable the display functions
>you always get a capital Z printed out.  Is there some way to get around this?
>Does anyone else out there use the Rugged-Writer?

There is no way around the printing of the "<esc>Z"  at the end of Display
Functions mode.  This is a debugging mode and not intended for document
preparation.  I suggest that you look at Transparent Data mode as the way
to display the normally non-printing characters.  It is described in the
RW-480 Owner's Manual on pg. 4-39.

Tech Note on HP Display Functions Mode:
--------------------------------------
"<esc>Y" is the sequence to begin Display Functions mode.  While in this
mode, only <cr> and <esc>Z cause the printer to do anything except print a
symbol(or space) for EVERY byte received!

"<esc>Z" is the sequence to end Display Functions mode, and in HP printers
that support Display Functions mode will always print before disabling
Display Functions.  It is the only escape function that operates while in
this mode.

The character that is printed for the <esc> character is dependent on the
font and character set that is active at the time Display Functions mode
is entered.  Some fonts print a small "EC", some a <blank>, some a <Left
Arrow>, and a few: something else.

Hope this short tutorial helps.

John Ignoffo
Hewlett-Packard Company