[comp.sys.hp] 8mm tape drive

innovus@maccs.McMaster.CA (Innovus Inc.) (07/01/88)

has anyone heard of an 8mm tape product from HP as yet?
if not, is anyone using 3rd party scsi 8mm drives on
HP9000 3xx? 8xx? does anybody care?

I am interested in more information if anyone has experience
with these relatively new drives.

rss.

jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) (07/04/88)

In article <1278@maccs.McMaster.CA> innovus@maccs.UUCP (Innovus Inc.) writes:
>has anyone heard of an 8mm tape product from HP as yet?
>if not, is anyone using 3rd party scsi 8mm drives on
>HP9000 3xx? 8xx? does anybody care?
>rss.
Yes I CARE! I would also be interested in knowing if SCSI drive controllers
exist for HP9000 series.

--
See above 	 (214)661-8960

kinsell@hpfclm.HP.COM (Dave Kinsell) (07/05/88)

>>has anyone heard of an 8mm tape product from HP as yet?
>>if not, is anyone using 3rd party scsi 8mm drives on
>>HP9000 3xx? 8xx? does anybody care?
>>rss.
>Yes I CARE! I would also be interested in knowing if SCSI drive controllers
>exist for HP9000 series.

There are SCSI host bus adapters available for most of the 300s:

   98265A, available for the 330, 350, and 360 as a customer
           installed option.

  Opt 011, factory installed option on the 330, 350, 360, and 319.

Older 330s and 350s require a CPU board swap to replace early boot roms.

As far as the tape drive goes, there has been discussion in comp.periphs
recently on the subject.  HP has publicly announced development of 4 mm
R-DAT technology for backup applications, in conjunction with Sony and
other manufacturers.

-Dave Kinsell
 hplabs!hpfcda!kinsell

bdale@hpcsrc.HP.COM (Bdale Garbee) (07/06/88)

>I would also be interested in knowing if SCSI drive controllers
>exist for HP9000 series.

Yes, there is a SCSI interface for the 330/350 9000 series, and a SCSI option
for the 319's.  Speak to your local HP office, they should be able to provide
info.

Not sure what software support there is.  I think there's a driver for SCSI
common command set disks, but not much else.  HP seems to be doing a passable
job of supporting folks who want to write there own drivers, though.

Bdale
hpcsla!bdale

disclaimer:  I work for HP, but not the computer folks.  I learned about this
	stuff for personal interest reasons only.