[comp.sys.hp] HP-IB question on HP9000s500

rjs@hpislx.HP.COM (Bob Schneider from SSO) (08/04/88)

In article <595@rocksanne.UUCP> pat@rocksanne.UUCP (Peter A Torpey) writes:

>I'm trying to use the HP-IB bus on my Series 500 computer to interface to a
>PC.  Although I'm able to sense EOI when reading from my end (using the
>io_eol_ctl routine) in order to terminate a transmission, I  haven't
>found a way to write with an EOI at the end of my transmissions.  It seems
>that there should be a corresponding routine for writting (io_eol_ctl is only
>appropirate for reading).  The routine ioctl looks like it would do the trick,
>but this is only supported on the s800.  Is there any way I can
>send an EOI to terminate my transmissin and let the PC know the
>transmission is done?

	There is a routine called "hpib_eoi_ctl(3I)". It is essentially a
	toggle switch for your file descriptor. When turned on, all
	subsequent writes to that file descriptor (assuming it's a fd to
	a valid HP-IB device file) will assert the EOI line with the last
	byte written. It looks like:

SYNOPSIS
	int hpib_eoi_ctl(fd,flag);
	ind fd,flag;

	If flag is non zero, EOI mode is enabled. If flag is zero EOI mode
	is disabled.

Bob Schneider     rjs%hpisla@hplabs.HP.COM   or   hplabs!hpisla!rjs

sartin@hpdstma.HP.COM (Rob Sartin) (08/05/88)

>I'm trying to use the HP-IB bus on my Series 500 computer to interface to a
>PC.  Although I'm able to sense EOI when reading from my end (using the
>io_eol_ctl routine) in order to terminate a transmission, I  haven't
>found a way to write with an EOI at the end of my transmissions.  It seems

The hpib_io routine lets you control EOI via "mode" in the array of
iodetail structs passed to it.  If I recall correctly, the hpib_*
routines are part of the optoional DVIO product.  This recollection may
be incorrect as it has been a while since I used them.

I do no speak officially for HP.

Rob Sartin

jeffh@hpubvwa.HP.COM (Jeff Harrell) (08/06/88)

I think you otta try "hpib_eoi_ctl". I know it's available on the
s300 and s800- haven't done much work with the s500...

--
Jeff (Spectra Software) Harrell
(206) 927-9268