[comp.sys.hp] Looking for communications alternatives on HP/3000

mikej@cpmain.UUCP (Michel R. Johnston) (08/27/88)

I have an interesting situation on my hands that I am looking for some input on.

In my company we have basically a two layer Data Processing implimentation.
The first level (the user level) consists of small *nix machines at remote
locations to do the front end processing of payroll entry, data-base
applications etc.

The second level of the connection is in our main corporate office here. We
have several HP 3000 systems that are running MPE as their operating system.
These systems are used primarily for number crunching but also have some
interactive users on them.

Currently we use UUCP as our main data transport mechanism. What basically
happens is that when a remote office wants to transfer its payroll to us
they dial-in and upload it to our in house Altos running Xenix via UUCP.

Then we place the files on tape and download them to the HP3000. No problems.

What I would like to do is eliminate the tape altogether and directly transfer
the files to the HP with a hot wire from the altos.

Now , I have established the link between the two machines and I can log onto
the HP using CU on the Altos. File transfers are my big problem though. I don't
know of any mechanism that will allow me to  transfer a file to the HP.

Has anyone implimented such a link? Does anyone out there have experience with
these machines (HP3000's)? I have little knowledge of the MPE operating system
since I deal exclusively with *NIX. I do however have people inhouse here who
do use MPE and they know of no way to do this.

I appeal to someone for some suggestions on this.
--
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
| Michael R. Johnston   | @NET: mikej@cpmain.uucp, mikej@dasys1.uucp      |

gph@hpsemc.HP.COM (Paul Houtz ) (08/30/88)

mikej@cpmain.UUCP (Michel R. Johnston) writes:
>I have an interesting situation on my hands that I am looking
>for some input on.

>In my company we have basically a two layer Data Processing implimentation.
>The first level (the user level) consists of small *nix machines at remote
>locations to do the front end processing of payroll entry, data-base
.
.
>The second level of the connection is in our main corporate office here. We
>have several HP 3000 systems that are running MPE as their operating system.
.
.
>I appeal to someone for some suggestions on this.
>--

    My suggestion is that you first contact your HP field sales team.  They
have access to all available information about supported products that may
serve this need.  In particular, you should speak with the SE for your account.
They can contact the Hewlett-Packard Network Marketing Center, which can
give direct information about all HP and non-HP products that may work.

   Also, I believe that NS/3000 has the ability to do datacomm with HP-UX
machines already, if this is of help.

Howard_Gary_Stateman@cup.portal.com (08/30/88)

Re: HP3000-to-PC backups and data transfers-

You would do well to call your HP sales rep about this. They have a
very good set of utilities which they market under the umbrella of
"Office Sharing" which does what you want, and more. There is another
package called "Resource Sharing" which lets you use the 3000's
facilities as if they were a DOS spooler and server. A couple of
phone numbers for you:
Woodbury NY (516) 682-7800
White Plains NY (914) 935-6300
Manhattan, NY (212) 971-0800

Better still, if you have a 3000, you have a system manager for it.
That person will know how to contact your rep, and may even know the
answer to your question.

gph@hpsemc.HP.COM (Paul Houtz ) (09/01/88)

There is a company in the bay area called:

Wollongong Software
1129 San Antonio Road
P.O. Box 51860
Palo Alto, CA 94303
(415) 962-7200

which markets a product called WIN/TCP for the HP3000 Computers.  It
allows access to the ARPA services FTP (which should solve your problem)
and also Telnet and SNTP.

This product is also an HP Reference Product, which means that HP knows
about it and will do support on the HP side of any problems arising from
use of the product.

glee@cognos.uucp (Godfrey Lee) (09/01/88)

For serial connection between MPE and Unix, try Blast!
For LAN connection between MPE and Unix, I believe Wollongong is releasing
their TCP/IP package for MPE, Real Soon Now.
--
Godfrey Lee                                      P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated                              3755 Riverside Dr.

ostroff@aramis.rutgers.edu (Jack Ostroff) (09/01/88)

As previous postigs suggested -talk to your sales rep or account rep.
However - if networking the altos to the 3000's is out of the
question, most terminal emulation software includes some sort of file
transfer capabilities.  (How useful this is depends on speed and how
much you have to transfer.)  Kermit and Xmodem are both available for
the 3000, and there are a number of more efficient but proprietary
methods.  Most of such software is for MSDOS - but you can likely
find something for *nix.