[comp.sys.hp] Serial Port ?

super@ux1.lbl.gov (Michael Helm) (10/15/88)

I decided to do something useful with the RS-232-type port
on an HP-9000/3xx, & attach an old 2623a terminal to it.
Unfortunately...I can't quite get it to go.  I can cat files
to the terminal, & sometimes a login: prompt is issued,
but I can't login or proceed any further.

Since I've done the same experiments on different 9000s with
different terminals, I figure it must be my configuration
(mkdev, ttytype, inittab, terminal, ???) rather than the hardware.
Anyone have a known working configuration
they'd care to share? (I've got lots of other HP terminals
I can try, so I'm not fussy about the '23, tho it's my
preference).  Funny -- this is usually a piece of cake.
By the way, I can get these terminals to work on an HP1000,
a Sun, a terminal concentrator &c w/o too much trouble, so
I think they're ok.

Thanks for your help,
Michael Helm (415 486 7248) (Internet M_Helm@lbl.gov)

burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Anthony Burzio) (10/16/88)

In article <1135@helios.ee.lbl.gov>, super@ux1.lbl.gov (Michael Helm) writes:
> I decided to do something useful with the RS-232-type port
> on an HP-9000/3xx, & attach an old 2623a terminal to it.
> Unfortunately...I can't quite get it to go.  I can cat files
> to the terminal, & sometimes a login: prompt is issued,
> but I can't login or proceed any further.

I recently hooked up a VT240 terminal to my 350SRX box using
the reconfig script that comes with HP-UX.  This is a lot cleaner
than all those UNIX indecipherables you mentioned (real op-sys'
poll their devices, one of my two *major* complaints with UN*X :-)
After a reboot to start the getty process, I got a login: on the
first try.  For the faint of heart, I found the HP-IB address for
the RS232 port is displayed during boot on the console, which beats
tearing the machine apart to see the address (big time yucch, the
only thing worse is that silly human interface loop)

Tony Burzio          *  The question of the ages is:
Martin Marietta Labs *  How do you clean the ball on your mouse? :-)

kmont@hpindda.HP.COM (Kevin Montgomery) (10/19/88)

/ hpindda:comp.sys.hp / super@ux1.lbl.gov (Michael Helm) /  6:55 pm  Oct 14, 1988 /
> I decided to do something useful with the RS-232-type port
> on an HP-9000/3xx, & attach an old 2623a terminal to it.
> Unfortunately...I can't quite get it to go.  I can cat files
> to the terminal, & sometimes a login: prompt is issued,
> but I can't login or proceed any further.

I don't work down in the datacomm labs, but I'll take a stab
and suggest:

1) try a loopback (ie. jumper pins 2 & 3) on the terminal end
   of your cable, then use 'tip' or 'cu' with the hardwire option
   (you may have to tweak /etc/remote to look at the right tty in
   /dev) to go out that port.  If everything is okay in the 9000
   setup and the cable, then everything you do should be echoed
   back, and your problem was in the 2623a (or you needed a "null
   modem" cable (pins 2 & 3 switched in the cable on the terminal end).

2) If this didn't work, then it's either your cable, or the 9000.
   try looping back at the 9000 rs232 port.  If 'cu' works there,
   then the problem was in the cable.  If it didn't, then it's a
   problem with the 9000.

3) If it's a problem with the 9000, then it's either a problem
   with how you were invoking 'cu' or 'tip', or it was an actual
   problem with how the tty was setup.  Try using 'cu' out an
   already working port and see if it works.  If so, then you were
   probably using 'cu' correctly, and the problem was in configuring
   the new tty.

4) If the problem was in configuring the tty, then look at the
   MAKEDEV script (I think these still exist, are called this, and
   are still distributed with HP-UX) to see what the differences
   are between how you had set up the new tty, and how the other
   ttys are set up.  If you still can't find any problem, call
   your friendly, neighborhood HP representative- they live for
   tracking down such things...

				Hope it helped,
				  kevin

ps: off hand, since you say that you can send to the terminal (by
    using /bin/cat and by starting up a getty on it), and that you
    can not send anything back, I'd say that it's probably a problem
    in the cable (1st choice), or in the terminal config.

maddog@anuck.UUCP (j.j.tupper) (10/21/88)

In article <4310015@hpindda.HP.COM> kmont@hpindda.HP.COM (Kevin Montgomery) writes:
>> I decided to do something useful with the RS-232-type port
>> on an HP-9000/3xx, & attach an old 2623a terminal to it.
>> Unfortunately...I can't quite get it to go.  I can cat files
>> to the terminal, & sometimes a login: prompt is issued,
>> but I can't login or proceed any further.

There are two ways you can setup a 232 device on a series 300. The first
way implements all the modem nonsense (DTR and RTS etc.), the second ignores
everything but send and receive. The difference is in the minor device number.

The minor device number is made up of three two digit hex numbers. For
instance: 0x0f0104

	0x0f - the select code of the interface card
	01   - the line number of interest on that interface card (used for
		cards that support more than one line)
	04   - The third number is 0 if you want all the modem stuff, and 4
		if you just want send and receive.

Check your minor device number (ls -l) and make sure it ends in 4. If not,
run mknod again.

	mknod tty09 c 1 0x090000    # modem version
	mknod tty09 c 1 0x090004    # non-modem version
maddog@mvuxi.att.com

ken@hpclkms.HP.COM (Kenneth Sumrall) (10/21/88)

/ hpclkms:comp.sys.hp / super@ux1.lbl.gov (Michael Helm) /  6:55 pm  Oct 14, 1988 /

>I decided to do something useful with the RS-232-type port
>on an HP-9000/3xx, & attach an old 2623a terminal to it.
>Unfortunately...I can't quite get it to go.  I can cat files
>to the terminal, & sometimes a login: prompt is issued,
>but I can't login or proceed any further.

I just set up a hardwired connection between a 9000/370 as callee, and a
9000/320 as caller.  Below are my entries for /etc/inittab, /etc/gettydefs,
and the /dev/tty00 special file on the 9000/370.

/etc/inittab:
     tty0:   :respawn:/etc/getty -t 165 tty00 9600
/etc/gettydefs:
     9600# B9600 HUPCL PARENB CS7 # B9600 SANE PARENB CS7 ISTRIP IXON IXOFF -IXANY TAB3 #login: #9600
/dev/tty00:
     crw--w--w-   1 root     guest      1 0x090004 Oct 20 14:41 /dev/tty00

This of course is not an official answer, and the minor number of the device
file is subject to change based on the select code of your interface, and the
actual RS-232C card that you are using, etc., etc., etc.

Hope this helps.  It worked for me.

BTW, since you can cat files to the terminal, I would assume that the device
file is set up properly.  So, look into your inittab and gettydefs file.

Kenneth Sumrall
HP California Language Labs
ken%hpclkms@hplabs.hp.com
...!hplabs!hpclkms!ken