[comp.sys.hp] Looking for TeX for an HP350

louxj@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (John W. Loux) (10/27/88)

Hi.

After several unfruitful weeks of working with different versions of TeX,
dviplus and xdvi, I'm throwing in the towel.

If there is anyone out there who has working versions of the above for an
HP350 running HP-UX driving X windows and a LaserJet II, or can lead me by
the hand through the modifications to the standard distribution, I would
greatly appreciate it.

Also, I feel like I've been trying to fly blind.  None of the source I've
been able to come up with has had enough documentation, in my opinion, for
me to reasonably install anything.  Is there a system administrator's
guide to installation?  Is there a source-code (re)programmer's guide?

Thanks in advance.
Any information would be a help.

mike@pmafire.UUCP (mike caldwell) (10/27/88)

In article <7033@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> louxj@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (John W. Loux) writes:
>Hi.
>
>After several unfruitful weeks of working with different versions of TeX,
>dviplus and xdvi, I'm throwing in the towel.
>
>If there is anyone out there who has working versions of the above for an
>HP350 running HP-UX driving X windows and a LaserJet II, or can lead me by
>the hand through the modifications to the standard distribution, I would
>greatly appreciate it.

We tried here too and failed.  So we would like a copy that works if it
is available somewhere.  Same as above without X-windows would be fine.

			Mike Caldwell
P.S.
	Thanks

irf@kuling.UUCP (Bo Thide) (10/30/88)

In article <470@pmafire.UUCP> mike@pmafire.UUCP (mike caldwell) writes:
>In article <7033@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> louxj@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (John W. Loux) writes:
>>Hi.
>>
>>After several unfruitful weeks of working with different versions of TeX,
>>dviplus and xdvi, I'm throwing in the towel.
>>
>>If there is anyone out there who has working versions of the above for an
>>HP350 running HP-UX driving X windows and a LaserJet II, or can lead me by
> [text deleted]
>
>We tried here too and failed.  So we would like a copy that works if it
>is available somewhere.  Same as above without X-windows would be fine.

We have TeX for HP9000/540 and 350 and had no problems whatsoever getting it
up and running.  It's a fairly complete system with pk fonts, LaTeX, PiCTeX,
and a lot of very useful macro packages.  It works very well indeed.
The only things we are missing are BiBTeX and Metafont (in C), but we hope
to get that too with the 2.93 release from UofWash.  We will install TeX 2.93
on our 350 and our new 835 and 318s.

We also have drivers for LaserJet+ and Laserjet II with support for
low-lever raster graphics and things.  But we haven't any drivers for our
PaintJets and DeskJets yet.  We'll see what we can do about that this coming
winter.

On the 350 I have several versions of xdvi - previwers for X Windows -
that I picked up here on the net.  Getting them running was absolutely trivial.

I would be happy to send you copies of everything we've got.  Please send
me e-mail first and then we can decide in what form I shall send the software.

-Bo
--

tensi@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Thomas Tensi) (10/31/88)

In article <7033@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> louxj@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (John W. Loux) writes:
>Hi.
>
>After several unfruitful weeks of working with different versions of TeX,
>dviplus and xdvi, I'm throwing in the towel.
>
>If there is anyone out there who has working versions of the above for an
>HP350 running HP-UX driving X windows and a LaserJet II, or can lead me by
>the hand through the modifications to the standard distribution, I would
>greatly appreciate it.

A colleague from the social sciences has obviously the same problem. As he is
no experienced hacker, he would like to send somebody a streamer tape to get a
working TeX implementation for a HP350 running HP-UX and X windows. (I hope TeX
for the HP isn't copyrighted?)

                  Thanks for your help

Thomas Tensi, Institut fuer Informatik, Technische Univ. Muenchen,
Arcisstr. 21, 8000 Muenchen 2, West Germany

mah@hpuviea.UUCP (Michael Haberler) (11/02/88)

From article <7033@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, by louxj@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (John W. Loux):
> Hi.
>
> After several unfruitful weeks of working with different versions of TeX,
> dviplus and xdvi, I'm throwing in the towel.
>
> If there is anyone out there who has working versions of the above for an
> HP350 running HP-UX driving X windows and a LaserJet II, or can lead me by

I'm running C-TeX with a dvi->LaserJet and X11 previewers here. Xdvi for X10R4
seems to have byte-order dependencies, but the X11 xdvi works fine. I also had
summer students working on the texx previewer by Dirk Grunwald to make it
faster, and it's quite acceptable now. The dvips converter from Tom Rokicki
also works fine. Also, there are patches  for xpr to work with a LJII.
All this runs on HP 9000's 300 and 800es.

That did'nt come out of the box, though. A good starting point is the
Unix TeX distribution tape from Pierre McKay (mackay@june.cs.washington.edu).
I'd be willing to post the dvilj converter and the texx patches, if there's
demand.

-michael
--
Michael Haberler		mah@hpuviea.at
Hewlett-Packard Austria GmbH, 	...mcvax!tuvie!hpuviea!mah

mikef@hpsad.HP.COM (Mike Ferrara) (11/04/88)

I've got TeX, LaTeX, etc ... plus X10, and X11 previewers, ljII
and thinkjet dumpers ... Can I make you a tape? Mail me at

mikef@hpsadle.hp.com

Mike Ferrara
HP Signal Analysis Div
Rohnert Park, CA
(707) 794-4479

irf@kuling.UUCP (Bo Thide) (11/08/88)

In article <394@infovax.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de> tensi@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Thomas Tensi) writes:
>In article <7033@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> louxj@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (John W. Loux) writes:
>>If there is anyone out there who has working versions of the above for an
>>HP350 running HP-UX driving X windows and a LaserJet II, or can lead me by

As I said in my earlier postings, I have what you're looking for.
Send me e-mail and I'll tell you how to get it (free).

 /|F|\ INTERNET: bt@irfu.se   UUCP: ...!enea!kuling!irfu!bt   IP: 192.36.174.1

mah@hpuviea.UUCP (Michael Haberler) (11/09/88)

> A colleague from the social sciences has obviously the same problem. As he is
> no experienced hacker, he would like to send somebody a streamer tape to get a
> working TeX implementation for a HP350 running HP-UX and X windows. (I hope TeX

Bo Tide and myself are assembling a TeX distribution for all HP Unix machines.
Watch for an announcement in this group.

-mah