[comp.sys.hp] HP-42S

everett@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Everett Kaser) (11/15/88)

 Jake-S@cup.portal.com (Jake G Schwartz) writes...
>These are the names and the series' as I know them:
>Classic     HP35, 45, 55, 65, 67
>Woodstock   HP21, 22, 25, 25C, 27, 29C
>Spice       HP31E, 32E, 33E, 33C, 34C, 37E, 38E, 38C
>(unknown)   HP10, 19C
>Top Cat     HP91, 92, 97
>Nut         HP41C, 41CV, 41CX
>Voyager     HP10C, 11C, 12C, 15C, 16C
>Pioneer     HP18C, 19B, 28C, 28S
>(unknown)   HP14B, 17B, 20S, 22S, 32S, 42S

The 'names' are internal codenames used by HP during the development of the
products.  Not only does each 'series' have a name, but each variation of
the series and/or a product has a name.  (Numbers are not assigned until
the product is quite a ways into development, and you have to have some way
of referring to the projects before then.  Besides, it's suppose to confuse
the industrial spies :-).

I use to know a lot more of these, but memory fades.   The classic line
also included the HP-70 and HP-80.  Each member of the woodstock line had
a plant, or vegetable, name, with the HP-27 being "salad", because it had
a mixture of scientific and business functions.  The HP-19C and the HP-10
were printing-handheld calculators.  I can't recall the name of the HP-19C,
but I believe the HP-10 was known as "kiss".  Each member of the topcat line
had a name that included 'cat' in the name (its seems like one was bobcat,
but I'm not sure).  The 'nut' line started with the HP-41C, which was known
as Coconut.   The peripherals all had names, too, of course, and some of the
other names in that 'family' were Topnut, Grapenut, Halfnut.

There were also, of course, many projects that got started, were given names,
and eventually were cancelled, before making it to the market.  One, the
HP-95, actually made it into production-prototype stage, with about 100 units
built, and owners manuals all printed, before being cancelled (and rightly so!)
I still have a copy of the owners manual for it.

The HP-71 was 'titan' and the HP-75 was 'Kangaroo' (or 'roo' to its friends).
The HP-01 was 'firfly' (or was that it's follow on?  (also cancelled before
intro) ).

If I remember more, maybe I'll post again.

Everett Kaser
!hplabs!hp-pcd!everett

everett@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Everett Kaser) (11/15/88)

I remember now.....the HP-01 was 'cricket';  it's never_produced_follow-on
was 'firefly' (it was going to have an LCD display in place of LED, don't
remember anything else).

Everett Kaser
!hplabs!hp-pcd!everett

steve@hpiacla.HP.COM (Steve Witten) (11/16/88)

I was at Corvallis recently.  Along the main hallway, they have one of every
calculator model and peripheral mounted on a plaque hanging on the wall.
I believe the code name for the HP 41C, 41CV and 41CX was "Coconut" not "Nut".

Steve Witten                    steve%hpiacla@hplabs.HP.COM
Industrial Applications Center  {ucbvax, hplabs}!hpda!hpdsla!hpiacla!steve
Hewlett-Packard Co.             steve@hpiacla

"...I'm no fool! Nosirree!..." -- J. Cricket

jmcvey@hpbsla.HP.COM (John_McVey) (11/16/88)

More accurately:

Champion: HP-18C, HP-19B

Pioneer: HP-17B, HP-27S, HP-32S, HP-42S, HP-20S, etc

John McVey
hplabs%jmcvey@hpbslq

jules@otter.hpl.hp.com (Julian Perry) (11/17/88)

>/ steve@hpiacla.HP.COM (Steve Witten) /
>I was at Corvallis recently.  Along the main hallway, they have one of every
>calculator model and peripheral mounted on a plaque hanging on the wall.
>I believe the code name for the HP 41C, 41CV and 41CX was "Coconut" not "Nut".

Well...I've been a HP calc buff since I first saw a HP-35 and my understanding
(seeing as how I've also been to Corvallis - and it didn't rain!) is that
the HP-41 processor is the NUT and all the diferent versions were ---NUT:

	HP-41	Coconut
	HP-41CV	Honeynut
	HP-41CX	??? (Nutmeg ?)

	HP-41 (redesigned internals [to save money] ~1986)	Half-nut

Jules

jules@jperry.hpl.hp.com
Julian Perry
HPLabs - Bristol

graeme@zen.UUCP (Graeme Cawsey) (11/19/88)

In article <101950009@hpcvlx.HP.COM> everett@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Everett Kaser) writes:
>I remember now.....the HP-01 was 'cricket';  it's never_produced_follow-on
>was 'firefly' (it was going to have an LCD display in place of LED, don't
>remember anything else).
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
			   Five years ahead of the field, as ever!

Other code names that spring to mind include Diamond which is the processor
in HP-71 IL module (one of the Gemstone series of chips).  The code name for
the 82402A dual HPIL adaptor was Double-Mint;  Double-Diamond would have been
appropriate - it is aslo a famous (beer) brand name in the UK.  The 32 column
video interface was the Wallaby - after all it was designed to partner the
Kangaroo (HP75).  The 82143 printer was the Helios, possibly because it was
a thermal printer.  The 82162 printer was the Special-K - a serial printer
(I just love that one !-).  The HP-41 wand was the Cheshi - why? - I have
come up with a possible expaination but it's to rude to post!  The Extended
I/O ROM was Medusa and the clock chip in the timer module was Phineas (surely
this should have been Phileas as in Fogg).

Graeme Cawsey (graeme@zen.co.uk  ...or something similar)