[comp.sys.hp] *roff support for LaserJet Font Carts??

mark@cogent.UUCP (Captain Neptune) (11/21/88)

In article <382@elan.UUCP> kg@elan.UUCP (Ken Greer) writes:
>From article <973@uvm-gen.UUCP>, by punia@uvm-gen.UUCP (Card 54...):
>>
>>   The advent of high capacity font cartridges, like the Pacific Data Products
>> 25 in 1, could remove a major bottleneck in our network printing, namely
>> downloading soft fonts for every job.  Seems like the jobs spend more time
>> downloading fonts than actually printing the text!
>
>EROFF will support such a cartridge (and many others) without
>downloading fonts.  For info...
>			Elan Computer Group, Inc.

Ahem...how about suggestions of something more affordable? The price to
put EROFF on our HP 9000/840 was so high that we have, for now, scrapped
our UNIX-to-Laserjet plans altogether.

Anyone have a public domain or shareware 'troff' so that we can try
'jetroff' on our system? (HP-UX does not include troff 8-( )
--
Mark Steven Jeghers                               "No reward for resistance,
Cogent Software Solutions                          no assistance,

cl@datlog.co.uk (Charles Lambert) (11/26/88)

In article <487@cogent.UUCP> mark@cogent.UUCP (Mark Steven Jeghers) writes:
>Ahem...how about suggestions of something more affordable? The price to
>put EROFF on our HP 9000/840 was so high that we have, for now, scrapped
>our UNIX-to-Laserjet plans altogether.

We are using SoftQuad SQtroff on a Compaq and a Vax 11/750.  I don't know
what it would cost in the US,  but in UK sterling it costs ~700 pounds on
the Compaq and ~1000 on the Vax.  The latest issue was a bit wrinkly on the
Vax,  but nothing crippling.  It supports font selection but I can't say
if there are any limitations because we usually stick to the (cartridge)
default.

SoftQuad SQtroff is available from

	Unixsys UK Ltd
	The Genesis Centre