[comp.sys.hp] Software Rev. levels for 9000/350...

garrett@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (11/30/88)

I have just inherited the care and feeding of an HP 9000/350 system
that we have had for about a year or so, maybe longer.  The system seems
to currently be at Rev. level 5.5.  I would like to get the new X11R3
distribution running on the system and 1st want to make sure the machine
is up to revs before I try adding anything new.

So, two questions:

What are the current release versions of the following packages?:

AXE
PE
NS-ARPA Services
Starbase
Fortran
HP GKS

Here is a list of the tapes that I have that had been received
but unopened until I dug up the machine:

HP GKS 6.0 Update
Starbase Display 6.0 Update
HP-UX Fortran 6.0 Update
NS-ARPA/300 6.0 Update
AXE 16-User 6.0 Update
PE 6.0 Update

Graphics Kernal System Update 6.2
Program Environment Update 6.21
AXE 16-User Update 6.21
NS-ARPA Services Update 6.2
FORTRAN Update 6.2
STARBASE DISPLAY LIST Update 6.2

If the 6.2/6.21 tapes represent the latest, greatest release, can I go
directly to them from the 5.5 version without 1st upgrading to 6.0?
I know that for VAX/VMS there are sometimes certain paths one must follow
to do complete upgrades (ie to get to 4.7 from 4.3 you must first go to 4.4
then 4.6 and then 4.7) is this also the case for HP/UX on the 350?

2nd question:  The X11R3 README file states that the X stuff runs on a 350
with 6.01 HP/UX.  Will it also work with 6.2/6.21?  I saw one message a while
back from someone who seemed to be having sluggishness problems.  Was that
solved?

					Thanks in advance!

					Joel J. Garrett
					Research Associate
					Univ. of Delaware, CCM

					inet:  garrett@oscar.ccm.udel.edu

garrett@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (11/30/88)

Oops, it turns out that we have a 9000/320, not a 350.  I guess this means
that X11R3 isn't going to work on this one.  We'd still like to get the
machine current though, so this info would still be useful.  Of course, if
someone tells me that this stuff will work on a 320 I'll still be very
happy.

					Thanks again,
					Joel

cjames@hplchm.HP.COM (Craig James) (12/01/88)

> Of course, if
> someone tells me that this stuff will work on a 320 I'll still be very
> happy.

Be happy!  A 320 and a 350 are 100% compatible.  I have a 350 with a 320
running diskless (e.g. they share the same set of disks) -- obviously they
run the same object code!

Craig James, Hewlett Packard Laboratories, Palo Alto

harry@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Harry Phinney) (12/01/88)

garrett@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:

> Oops, it turns out that we have a 9000/320, not a 350.  I guess this means
> that X11R3 isn't going to work on this one.
>					Joel

X11R3 as distributed by MIT will work fine on a 320 as long as you have
one of the display cards which are supported by the supplied driver.
The driver in the X11R3 distribution will support the following display
cards:

98544A 1024x768 Monochrome
98545A (I _think_ that's the number) 1024x768 4-plane color
98547A 1024x768 6-plane color

If you have some other display system, you should investigate getting
the HP X Window System Version 11 product.  This is R2 based, but has
many bug fixes, it has backing store, and good performance.  The only
bitmapped display system it doesn't support is the 98700/98710.

Harry Phinney