[comp.sys.hp] Problems with .forward file.

frank@zen.co.uk (Frank Wales) (12/06/88)

In article <21655.8812021649@esatst.yc.estec.nl> neil%yc1@mcvax.uucp
 (Neil Dixon) writes:
>I've discovered the following problem with sendmail on our HP800 series
>machines running HP-UX 2.1 (SysV'ish).  If two or more users have
>identical .forward files (i.e.  for piping into the slocal prog of MH),
>then mail to those users will only ever reach the first recipient.  Mail
>for the other recipients is thrown away as 'duplicate suppressed'.  Is
>this a known problem in other implementations, or do I need a devious
>trick in the config file?

I reported this problem to HP's UK Response Centre a couple of months
ago, and the enquiry became a formal bug report which should now have
gone back to division.  The workaround we currently use is to have
.forward refer to individual script files which in turn invoke the
required commands -- inelegant, but it works for now.  Whether it's
a problem with non-HP-UX machines, I can't say, but HP seem to have
accepted that sendmail shouldn't behave this way; if it were something
which could be reconfigured, I think they'd have said.

--
Frank Wales, Systems Administrator,  [frank@zen.co.uk<->mcvax!zen.co.uk!frank]
Zengrange Ltd., Greenfield Rd., Leeds, ENGLAND, LS9 8DB. (+44) 532 489048 x217