[comp.sys.hp] Desktop publishing systems?

vic@zen.UUCP (Victor Gavin) (11/21/88)

In article <831@io.UUCP> david@io.UUCP (David Weinberger x5563) writes:
>Let me add some information to Robert Scott's message. (I work for Interleaf.)
>
>o TPS on Sun, Digital and Apollo goes for $2,500 for the Core version (text
>and graphics.)
>
>o Interleaf Publisher is available on 386's and on the Macintosh II for
>$2,495. It is feature-for-feature the same as TPS 3.0. (We've just shipped TPS
>4.0.) That means it combines full word processing, diagramming, data-driven
>charts, automatic page layout, network workgroup tools, long document
>management capabilities, tables and even a line art image editor.

Doesn't anybody write document preperation systems for Hewlett-Packard
bit-mapped displays?

Don't you like them ? Is there something wrong with them ?

I'm serious about this. When I hear about a new funky piece of software I find
that I'll probably never be able to run it without someone buying me a Sun
workstation. The Sun workstation (as far as I can see) has very little to
separate it performance-wise and market-wise for a publishing system.

Please will some one explain it to me?

					vic
--
Victor Gavin						Zengrange Limited
vic@zen.co.uk						Greenfield Road

irf@kuling.UUCP (Bo Thide) (11/23/88)

In article <1429@zen.UUCP> vic@zen.UUCP (Victor Gavin) writes:
>In article <831@io.UUCP> david@io.UUCP (David Weinberger x5563) writes:
>>Let me add some information to Robert Scott's message. (I work for Interleaf.)
>>
>>o TPS on Sun, Digital and Apollo goes for $2,500 for the Core version (text
>>and graphics.)
>Doesn't anybody write document preperation systems for Hewlett-Packard
>bit-mapped displays?
>
>Don't you like them ? Is there something wrong with them ?
>
>I'm serious about this. When I hear about a new funky piece of software I find
>that I'll probably never be able to run it without someone buying me a Sun
>workstation. The Sun workstation (as far as I can see) has very little to
>separate it performance-wise and market-wise for a publishing system.

Yes, I have noticed the same strange thing.  Very few people (apart
from those who have HP workstations themselves) mention HP as an alternative
when they are discussing application software like DTP. I can't understand
why.  HP has a large installed base (according to Datapro 1987 they sold
*more* workstations in Europe than Sun did!), the HP screens are excellent
(a side-by-side test I did very clearly showed that they were much
better than Sun's rather 'hazy' screens), the price/performance
seems to be more advantageous (the 9000/370 has roughly twice the
performance of a Sun 3/260 at about the same price; the same is
true for the 9000/835 relative to the Sun 3/260), and with HP-UX you
get Native Language Support which is so nice for our secretaries who
create most of our documents and who can do that communicating with
the software in their native tongue (Swedish) by just setting the
enviroment variable LANG to 'swedish'!  What's more, few
people can question HPs outstanding quality.

In fact, I have been in contact with Ann Arbor Text who produces
the 'Publisher', a TeX-based DTP software which seems very interesting indeed.
Of course, they've chosen to write it for Sun's propietary NeWS windowing
system first.  They promised a X Windows version and I have been nagging them
about this for many months now.  Of course, HP did the only sensible thing
choosing X thereby following a well-established standard.

If you are interested in getting a TeX package that runs on HP9000s,
pleas contact me by e-mail.  I can send it for free.

-Bo

   ^   Bo Thide'--------------------------------------------------------------
  | |       Swedish Institute of Space Physics, S-755 91 Uppsala, Sweden
  |I|    [In Swedish: Institutet f|r RymdFysik, Uppsalaavdelningen (IRFU)]
  |R|  Phone: (+46) 18-403000.  Telex: 76036 (IRFUPP S).  Fax: (+46) 18-403100
 /|F|\ INTERNET: bt@irfu.se   UUCP: ...!enea!kuling!irfu!bt   IP: 192.36.174.1
 ~~U~~ -----------------------------------------------------------------sm5dfw

richard@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Richard Foulk) (11/25/88)

[posted to comp.text, followups to comp.sys.hp]

}
} Don't you like them ? Is there something wrong with them ?
}
} I'm serious about this. When I hear about a new funky piece of software I find
} that I'll probably never be able to run it without someone buying me a Sun
} workstation. The Sun workstation (as far as I can see) has very little to
} separate it performance-wise and market-wise for a publishing system.

When you buy computing equipment there are many things you must
take into consideration in order to make a good decision.

Many machines end up as a "voice crying in the wilderness", as no one
bothers to port their software to them.

So if you don't plan to write all your own software you have to
consider how popular the machine is or is expected to become.

HP makes reasonable equipment.  But it's not usually very innovative.
And it's often over-priced.  So it isn't usually as popular as some
of its competitors.

At this point HP has to play catch up.  So even if they seem competitive
now their reputation gets in their way.

If I was choosing which machines to port a product to, HP would
certainly be near the bottom of the list.

Simply not a big enough market.

(What we need is a good package from the GNU people.)

vic@zen.UUCP (Victor Gavin) (11/27/88)

In article <2703@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> richard@uhccux.UUCP (Richard Foulk) writes:
>} Doesn't anybody write document preperation systems for Hewlett-Packard
>} bit-mapped displays?
>}
>HP makes reasonable equipment.  But it's not usually very innovative.
>And it's often over-priced.  So it isn't usually as popular as some
>of its competitors.

All my experience with HP shows them to be very innovative, reliable and
extremely helpful. And this is in the UK :->

>At this point HP has to play catch up.  So even if they seem competitive
>now their reputation gets in their way.

I would even say that they've ``caught up''. When was the last time that you
had a look at the workstation market. HP has a massive presence. They vie with
Sun (having beaten Apollo and DEC) for the top share.

With the advent of X-windows which everyone and their dog is supplying, doesn't
it make sense to write workstation applications using X.

Then to port the software (in an ideal world) all you have to do is change the
system specific information (ie is it a BSD or SYSV box).

		vic
--

eik@os.is (Einar Kjartansson) (12/05/88)

In article <901@kuling.UUCP>, irf@kuling.UUCP (Bo Thide) writes:
> from those who have HP workstations themselves) mention HP as an alternative
> when they are discussing application software like DTP. I can't understand
> why.  HP has a large installed base (according to Datapro 1987 they sold
> *more* workstations in Europe than Sun did!), the HP screens are excellent

This is a general situation that applies to both hardware and software,
the availability of both third party hardware and software for HP computers
is very limited. I think this is the result of a deliberate policy  that
at least some part of the HP organization pursues.

HP does not really want its customers to use their products with anybody
elses products and they discourage the availabilty and use of any software
that could possibly compete with any of their own products.
Graphics is a good example of this.

Before we purchased our 9000/840 computer we were told that we would
be able to use Starbase graphics software with our equipment which included
HP pen plotters, Tektronics 4014 compatable graphics terminals, HP laserjet
printers and Versatek electrostatic plotter. After the system arrived we
found that tools for writing starbase drivers on the 800 series were
not available, and would not be. Also that HP did not consider "terminal
graphics" of strategic importance and had no plan to support 4014
terminals (which means over 90 persent of low cost graphics terminals and
and terminal emulators for PCs)

So we were in a situation where whe had a huge, software package that
cost close to $10000 and it supported only one type of device.
The result was that we wrote starbase off and wrote our own interface
that suppored all our devices. Most of the graphics is now done using
PC with tectronics 4014 emulators with hardcopy on the HP laserjet.
The HPGL plotters are mostly unused because when the users are given
a choise between a laserjet and a penplotters, they almost always
pick the laserjet, because it is faster, more convenient and produces
sharper results. (Nobody seems to want color badly enaugh to hassle with
the pen plottes.)

In this case the above mentioned attitude of HP goes so far that
in order to protect the mechanical plotter sales they discourage its
customer from using a superior HP product, the laserjet. No wonder
why there is not much third party support !

--
  Einar Kjartansson                           | eik@os.is
  Orkustofnun (National Energy Authority)     | eik@geysir.uucp

mbk@hpsemc.HP.COM (Miles Kehoe) (12/08/88)

>This is a general situation that applies to both hardware and software,
>the availability of both third party hardware and software for HP computers
>is very limited. I think this is the result of a deliberate policy  that
>at least some part of the HP organization pursues.

>HP does not really want its customers to use their products with anybody
>elses products and they discourage the availabilty and use of any software
>that could possibly compete with any of their own products.
>Graphics is a good example of this.

Einar writes that HP seems to discourage third parties from working
with (and on) HP platforms... I'm sure it seems that way but, in
fact, we have a number of organizations working full-time to not
only encourage third parties to support HP equipment, but we are also
providing in-depth technical services to those third parties.

I'd suggest that, while supply side economics are big here in the
US (thanks to our President's philosophy), I feel demand side
economics works better with software.  Continue to work with
your HP contacts to encourage vendors... but also talk to the
vendor yourself.  When the vendor sees he or she is missing business
by not supporting the HP platform, you will start to see more software.

I'll agree that HP can do alot better, and there are those of us
in HP who are working towards that goal.  But customers can help
too by letting the software companies know you want an hp platform,
and voting for their software with your dollars.

Miles Kehoe
HP