[comp.sys.hp] Scanjet Scanner on HP-UX?

Howeird@cup.portal.com (Howard Gary Stateman) (12/06/88)

Does anyone know of HP-UX software that will allow the HP9000 to
use the TIFF file input from an HP Scanjet scanner? We have
a PC and can convert TIFF to GEM or PC Paintbrush format, if
necessary, but would like to be able to scan directly into
HP-UX.

vic@zen.UUCP (Victor Gavin) (12/08/88)

In article <12173@cup.portal.com> Howeird@cup.portal.com (Howard Gary Stateman) writes:
>Does anyone know of HP-UX software that will allow the HP9000 to
>use the TIFF file input from an HP Scanjet scanner? We have
>a PC and can convert TIFF to GEM or PC Paintbrush format, if
>necessary, but would like to be able to scan directly into
>HP-UX.

Ha!

HP does it again....

This is something I gave up on a long time ago. The ScanJet uses a screwed up
Centronics interface which allows data transfer in *BOTH* directions and thus
needs a special PC interface to talk to it. There is almost no way to connect
the scanner to anything except a PC or a MacIntosh.

Why don't the different divisions talk to each other? This was a peripheral
that should have been using the HP-IB interface ("What, use something that's a
standard? Nah, lets botch it").

What are HP going to do when Desktop Publishing gets going on the workstation
market? Do HP care?

		vic
--
Victor Gavin						Zengrange Limited
vic@zen.co.uk						Greenfield Road

Howeird@cup.portal.com (Howard Gary Stateman) (12/13/88)

HP-IB would not have been an intelligent interface to choose
for the HP Scanjet, since it will not work in a non-HP
PC or a Mac, the two largest users of DTP.

alh@hprmokg.HP.COM (Al Harrington) (12/14/88)

We scan on a PC then put it on our HP-UX machines.  From there we run a
program called 'tif2x' which converts it to an X Windows backdrop.  Is
that what you are looking for??

+-----------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| -Al Harrington            ________      |       Instant Guru BBS          |
|                           |__/\__|      |        (916) 457-7176           |
|                                         |     60 Megs - All Amiga!        |
| alh@hprmokg.HP.COM                      |     GT Net/Node  005/002        |
| ..ucbvax!ucdavis!csusac!athena!haringtn |   Baud: 1200/2400 Hours: 24     |
+-----------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
|                 All comments are *MINE* and *MINE* alone                  |

dave@pmafire.UUCP (Dave Remien) (12/14/88)

In article <12538@cup.portal.com> Howeird@cup.portal.com (Howard Gary Stateman) writes:
>HP-IB would not have been an intelligent interface to choose
>for the HP Scanjet, since it will not work in a non-HP
>PC or a Mac, the two largest users of DTP.

Just got a mailer from IEM in Colorado, and they have put out a Scanjet
interface for 300 series.  Apparently the interface is a modified,
bi-directional Centronics type.  Contact them at:

	IEM, Inc.
	P.O. Box 8915
	Fort Collins, CO 80525
	303 223-6071

Disclaimer: I know zip about the Scanjet interface beyond getting the
mailer.  There are those who think I know zip, anyway.

--
Dave Remien - WINCO Computer Engineering Group (only somewhat confused, now)
208-526-3523 Paths: ...!bigtex!pmafire!dave | ...!ucdavis!egg-id!pma386!dave

vic@zen.UUCP (Victor Gavin) (12/14/88)

In article <12538@cup.portal.com> Howeird@cup.portal.com (Howard Gary Stateman) writes:
>HP-IB would not have been an intelligent interface to choose
>for the HP Scanjet, since it will not work in a non-HP
>PC or a Mac, the two largest users of DTP.

Thank you.

HP had to provide *special* interface boards (and driver software) for each of
these machines so that they could communicate with the scanner.

My point is that if they had used HP-IB (IEEE-488) instead, every one who own
an HP computer with HP-IB could have used the scanner as well.

		vic

vic@zen.UUCP (Victor Gavin) (12/16/88)

In article <9620003@hprmokg.HP.COM> alh@hprmokg.HP.COM (Al Harrington) writes:
>We scan on a PC then put it on our HP-UX machines.  From there we run a
>program called 'tif2x' which converts it to an X Windows backdrop.  Is
>that what you are looking for??

In my case, no. I would like to write programs under HP-UX to control the
ScanJet to allow things like OCR and desk top publishing. Using a PC to control
the scanner and then load the image onto our computer takes too long.

\begin{another-gripe}
It's similar to HP's LaserRom service where they put all the HP-UX
documentation onto a laser disk, but only supply the laser reader for PC's.

Why couldn't they have made a stand-alone device which sat on HP-IB and looked
like an ordinary disk-drive. Then everyone connected to a machine on a
network that had this `disk' device could mount it and access all of the
information.

Come on now, single user documentation system for a multi-user computer.
Get Real HP.
\end{another-gripe}

> -Al Harrington

		vic
--

irf@kuling.UUCP (Bo Thide) (12/27/88)

In article <1460@zen.UUCP> vic@zen.UUCP (Victor Gavin) writes:
>HP does it again....
>
>This is something I gave up on a long time ago. The ScanJet uses a screwed up
>Centronics interface which allows data transfer in *BOTH* directions and thus
>needs a special PC interface to talk to it. There is almost no way to connect
>the scanner to anything except a PC or a MacIntosh.
>
>Why don't the different divisions talk to each other? This was a peripheral
>that should have been using the HP-IB interface ("What, use something that's a
>standard? Nah, lets botch it").
>
>What are HP going to do when Desktop Publishing gets going on the workstation
>market? Do HP care?

Apparently you didn't read the May, 1988 issue of "The Communciator", the
journal from the HP Tech Group that you receive free of charge as an HP
computer customer.   On p. 17 in that issue there is a neat article called
"HP 9190A ScanJet on Series 300 HP-UX (Turn Your Workstation into a Copier",
by Bob Niland, HP.

There you have your description -- hardware, C program listing and all! The
idea is to get an ISA EX-7032 DIO-I Centronics interface, do a bit of
rewiring (thoroughly described) and then use your ScanJet on the 300!

We have a ScanJet hooked up to a PC and I have a DIO slot left so I might
try it.  If so, I'll come back with reports to this newsgroup.

I agree that I would have preferred an HP-IB, but then the PC market
would have been closed....  (Marketing, marketing ...)

-Bo
 /|F|\ INTERNET: bt@irfu.se   UUCP: ...!enea!kuling!irfu!bt   IP: 192.36.174.1