[comp.sys.hp] /etc/csh.login

rridge@watmath.waterloo.edu (Ross Ridge) (01/15/89)

In article <5570094@hpfcdc.HP.COM> rml@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bob Lenk) writes:
>> Does anybody know if the file "/etc/csh.login" is suported by the HP 9000
>> Series 200 csh?
>
>If you mean series 300, yes.  If you actually mean series 200, I'm pretty
>sure it's supported in the 5.1 release, but not the 2.x releases (any
>csh revision 27.2 or greater (try "what /bin/csh") should support it).

I actually do mean series 200, and unfortnuately we are using 2.1. Is there
an equivalent file for 2.1? Is it still possible to upgrade 5.1?

							Ross Ridge

ross@watcsc
!watmath!watcsc!ross

rjn@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bob Niland) (01/16/89)

re:  >> Does anybody know if the file "/etc/csh.login" is suported by the
     >> HP 9000 Series 200 csh?

> I actually do mean series 200, and unfortnuately we are using 2.1. Is there
> an equivalent file for 2.1? Is it still possible to upgrade 5.1?

As I recall, csh was not added to Series 200 until the 5.x releases (which
were also the last HP-UX releases for that Series).  The 5.x releases
required an MC68010 processor.  Unless you have a Model 217 (9817A/H), you
would also need a CPU board upgrade to run 5.x.  Although that CPU is still
available (for a few more months), Series 200 HP-UX is no longer orderable.

On the whole, you'll be happier migrating to a Series 300, currently at
HP-UX release 6.5.  You can carry forward all of your I/O cards, and perhaps
the RAM, depending on CPU Model selected.  If your current computer is a
Model 220 (9920U), you can convert it to an I/O expander for the 300.
Although HP doesn't currently have a Series 200-300 trade in program, Series
200s are valued by 3rd-party HP equipment brokers, since they still run the
current versions of stand-alone BASIC and Pascal (not to mention a couple of
3rd-party systems).

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland        rjn@hpfcrjn.HP.COM                  3404 East Harmony Road
                  [hplabs|hpu...!hpfcse]!rjn          Ft Collins CO 80525-9599

rodean@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bruce Rodean) (01/16/89)

> On the whole, you'll be happier migrating to a Series 300, currently at
> HP-UX release 6.5.  You can carry forward all of your I/O cards, and perhaps
> the RAM, depending on CPU Model selected.

One minor correction:  the current customer available release for Series
300 HP-UX is 6.2.  Release 6.5 won't be out until March or so.

Bruce Rodean
rodean%hpfcrn@hplabs.HP.COM

rml@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bob Lenk) (01/18/89)

If you want to stick with 2.1 there is no equivalent to /etc/csh.login.
The best I can think of is to use sh as the real login shell and invoke
csh from it.  If users co-operate, another possibility is for everyone's
.login to begin with "source /etc/csh.login".

I'm not sure if 5.1 is still available.  If it is, it requires a 68010
processor.  All machines that run 2.1 have 68000 processors and require
a board upgrade.  Most likely you'd be better off upgrading to a series
300 box if you go that far.

		Bob Lenk
		hplabs!hpfcla!rml
		rml%hpfcla@hplabs.hp.com