[comp.sys.hp] X-windows terminals on HP-UX?

rclark@bgphp1.UUCP (Roger N. Clark) (01/23/89)

Does anyone have experience with an X-windows terminal on HP-UX
series 300 or 800?  I have an 825 and the idea of using X-windows
terminals is quite interesting.  Does HP (off the record if
necessary) think they will offer X terminals soon?

If anyone has done it, how is performance?

Roger N. Clark
..!bgphp1!rclark

diamant@hpfclp.SDE.HP.COM (John Diamant) (02/03/89)

> Does anyone have experience with an X-windows terminal on HP-UX
> series 300 or 800?

I have successfully used X terminals on HP9000/300 workstations (various
models of the 300) with succesful results.  We have a Visual 640 here in
our lab and it is used almost full-time.  It runs just fine with the
HP X11 product on HP-UX 6.2.

> If anyone has done it, how is performance?

Moderate.  It doesn't compare to my 370 server, but that is heavily
optimized and also a much faster processor.  Performance is what I would
call sluggish, but not slow.  Rubber-banding in some window managers can't
keep up well with the mouse and there is a delay before menus popup.  These
are only minor annoyances.  The terminal is quite usable (though the amount of
screen real-estate is quite limited -- only 11 1/4 inch diagonal viewing
area -- the monitor is quoted as being 14 inches, but the portion of the
screen that has pixels on it is only 11 1/4 inches).

John Diamant
Software Engineering Systems Division
Hewlett-Packard Co.		ARPA Internet: diamant@hpfclp.sde.hp.com
Fort Collins, CO		UUCP:  {hplabs,hpfcla}!hpfclp!diamant

wehr@fmeed1.UUCP (Bruce Wehr) (02/03/89)

In article <830027@bgphp1.UUCP>, rclark@bgphp1.UUCP (Roger N. Clark) writes:
> Does anyone have experience with an X-windows terminal on HP-UX
> series 300 or 800?  I have an 825 and the idea of using X-windows
> terminals is quite interesting.  Does HP (off the record if
> necessary) think they will offer X terminals soon?

Though I've never seen it, my HP sales rep has told me that HP has color
graphic terminals that can be used with HP Windows/9000 over a serial
line.  I not very familiar with window systems (X included), but it
would seem to me that you could use their terminals for X, too.
--
Bruce Wehr          Ford Motor Company - Electrical and Electronics Division
17000 Rotunda Drive, DPTC Room LN081, Dearborn, Michigan 48121 (313)845-3039

scf@statware.UUCP (Steve Fullerton) (02/04/89)

In article <830027@bgphp1.UUCP> rclark@bgphp1.UUCP (Roger N. Clark) writes:
>Does anyone have experience with an X-windows terminal on HP-UX
>series 300 or 800?  I have an 825 and the idea of using X-windows
>terminals is quite interesting.  Does HP (off the record if
>necessary) think they will offer X terminals soon?

I was told by an HP source that they will be releasing an X terminal
with 1024x768 resolution, color, etc. with about the graphics performance
of an HP9000/319 for around $2,500.  I'm looking forward to it.  However,
until it is announced I am trying out a Visual 640 XDS which is 1024x800,
monochrome, TCP/IP, etc.  The price is ~ $2,600 for 2Mb RAM, ~$1,900 for 1Mb
RAM.  It hasn't arrived yet so I cannot make any performance or usage claims.

--
Steve Fullerton                        Statware, Inc.
scf%statware.uucp@cs.orst.edu          260 SW Madison Ave, Suite 109

dfh@bnrunix.UUCP (David F. Hinnant) (02/04/89)

In article <830027@bgphp1.UUCP>, rclark@bgphp1.UUCP (Roger N. Clark) writes:
> Does anyone have experience with an X-windows terminal on HP-UX
> series 300 or 800?
> Roger N. Clark
> ..!bgphp1!rclark

We have three Visual Technology XDS 640 "X Window Terminals" (Visual
Technology calls them X Display Stations; hence XDS).  They communicate
with A HP 318M, a Sun-3 and a Sun-4.  We use HP's X Window on the 318M
which is X11r2.  We use the MIT X11r3 distribution on the Suns.  The
XDS's work just fine on all machines.  Overall, we are VERY pleased with
the XDS's as INTERIM solutions to providing a workstation-per-user in
our environment.  The 14" screen is just tooooooo small to really be
useful for heavy 8-12 hour a day use.  I'm waiting for 16, 17, or 19"
screens and color.  If this happens in 1989 (it kinda already has), we
may reconsider our workstation-per-user approach and provide X Window
displays only, talking to bigger machines like a 800 series box.  There
are at least four X window terminal vendors you can consider.  Some
offer color and 16" screens, but I have no experience with them.
Personally, I'm waiting for Visual Technology.  They are more
established in the terminal market than the other vendors and we're
looking for someone to be around for the long haul.

David Hinnant,  BNR Inc.  (919) 991-8299  mcnc!rti!bnrunix!dfh

mjb%hoosier.utah.edu@wasatch.UUCP (Mark J. Bradakis) (02/07/89)

In article <2562@fmeed1.UUCP> wehr@fmeed1.UUCP (Bruce Wehr) writes:

>Though I've never seen it, my HP sales rep has told me that HP has color
>graphic terminals that can be used with HP Windows/9000 over a serial
>line.  I not very familiar with window systems (X included), but it
>would seem to me that you could use their terminals for X, too.

The X Window System uses network protocols not commonly available over
serial lines.  Color terminals would NOT work as X clients, there would
have to be network smarts in the box which understood X protocols.  What
would work is having the CPU figure it all out and displaying the right
stuff, but this is not what is intended.  The reason for having dedicated
X terminals is to offload some of the processing effort from the CPU, a
criterium not met by simple terminals.

mjb.

mjb@hoosier.utah.edu

"And all the boys there, at the bar, began to sing along"