[comp.sys.hp] Running TCP/IP Software under MS Windows

cad@msn005.misemi (_syscad_) (02/02/89)

Right now we are using HP's ARPA Services/Vectra PC software (This is actually
PC/TCP by FTP Software.) While it works great, it does not seem to run under
Microsoft Windows. I could only assume that it does not conform to Microsoft's
Network Standards.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knows of some other TCP/IP Software that
will allow me to run a telnet session etc. under windows ?

Thanks for your help.

Alan Nakamoto
Mitel Corporation

jbvb@ftp.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (02/03/89)

In article <460@msn005.misemi>, cad@msn005.misemi (_syscad_) writes:
> Right now we are using HP's ARPA Services/Vectra PC software (This is actually
> PC/TCP by FTP Software.) While it works great, it does not seem to run under
> Microsoft Windows. I could only assume that it does not conform to Microsoft's
> Network Standards.
We don't use Windows much in-house, but we've tested it, and it works, with
some restrictions.  The kernel (HP called it "netload") must be run before
Windows is started, which means it can't be unloaded.

The only program that should give you any particular trouble is "tn" (we
call it TNVT100).  This writes directly to screen memory, and hooks the
keyboard interrupt.  FTP and whatever of the other applications HP distributes
should run just fine in a window, as long as that is the current window.
There may be problems when a network program is swapped out to disk (we depend
on the PSP to identify processes, and swapping can result in duplicates).

Windows doesn't time-slice.  Only applications that make special Windows calls
will keep going in the background.  Ours don't, although people have used
our Developer's Kit to write applications which do so.

> Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knows of some other TCP/IP Software that
> will allow me to run a telnet session etc. under windows ?

One OEM of ours did so, but that was for a system-level product.  I don't
think they offer it separately.  I don't think anyone else has done so.

James B. VanBokkelen		We're moving.  After 2/26, the new number
FTP Software Inc.		will be (617) 246-0900.

--
James B. VanBokkelen		We're moving.  After 2/26, the new number
FTP Software Inc.		will be (617) 246-0900.

roberts@cognos.uucp (Robert Stanley) (02/03/89)

Apologies for posting this to the net, but our mailer doesn't currently
recognize misemi as a valid domain or msn005 as a valid host ...
                Ottawa -> Kanata = 20 km !!!!
(besides, some other people may find it of interest)

In article <460@msn005.misemi> cad@msn005.misemi (_syscad_) writes:

> Right now we are using HP's ARPA Services/Vectra PC software (This is actually
> PC/TCP by FTP Software.) While it works great, it does not seem to run under
> Microsoft Windows. I could only assume that it does not conform to Microsoft's
> Network Standards.

You do not say what sort of a machine you are running on, but it looks sort
of as if it might be an HP Vectra.  This may limit your options because the
Vectra had (has?) known problems in terms of not being a perfect PC/AT clone.

> Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knows of some other TCP/IP Software that
> will allow me to run a telnet session etc. under windows ?

My group use 3-Com 3C501 EtherLink boards on our Compaq 386 machines,
and the 3-Com 3C523 EtherLink/MC on our PS/2 micro-channel machines.  We
have two products: Sun Microsystems PC-NFS, and Wollongong Win/TCP for DOS.
Both offer a variety of TCP/IP services and run under Windows.  I started
editing this reply on a Sun server running SunOS 3.5 via PC-NFS Telnet
executing in an exclusive command window under Windows/386 version 2.10 on a
Compaq 386/20 with Compaq DOS 3.31.  Oh yes, graphics is Compaq VGA.  Half
way through I closed the session, and am now running the Win/TCP for DOS
Telnet from an exclusive command window, with everything else the same.
Sure seems to be working.

The Wollongong software is neater, and better behaved than the PC-NFS (but,
of course, is doing much less).  However, in practical terms, all PC-NFS
configuration options are settable by editing external control files, while
the Win/TCP for DOS product insists on custom installation via a separate
program which patches the executable!  The reason I have the Wollongong
product at all is because the DOS version actually works fine in the DOS
compatibility box under OS/2, while PC-NFS won't.

Problems for you: a) compatibility of hardware platform with real PC/AT
	          b) the network driver boards used
	          c) the version of the operating system
	          d) the version of Windows

I use Compaq DOS 3.31 on *all* my systems, including the IBM PS/2 Model 80,
but both products also work under PC-DOS 3.30 and PC-DOS 4.01 for sure.
All my machines are 386 machines, so I have only tested under Windows/386,
this may not be viable under Windows/286, let alone under some third-party
licensed implementation.

> Thanks for your help.

Not sure I have been - if you are on the HP Vectra, there is a real chance
that hardware idiosyncrasies will render any of the above non-viable.

> Alan Nakamoto
> Mitel Corporation

Robert_S
--
Robert Stanley - Cognos Incorporated: 3755 Riverside Drive, P.O. Box 9707,
Compuserve: 76174,3024		      Ottawa, Ontario  K1G 3Z4, CANADA

elt@entire.UUCP (Edward L. Taychert) (02/03/89)

In article <460@msn005.misemi>, cad@msn005.misemi (_syscad_) writes:

> Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knows of some other TCP/IP Software that
> will allow me to run a telnet session etc. under windows ?

Windows steals the clock timer click (again and again) when
a program put's itself in the chain. This is the death of most
TCP programs under windows, especially as windows applications.

However, I have used both FTP's and PCNFS's telent in exclusive mode.
I run win386, so I can't say for sure about 286.

Microsoft knows about the problems and doesn't give a damn.
--

Ed Taychert
	    ...!rochester!rocksanne!entire!elt

beckman@dev386.UUCP (Zacharias Beckman) (02/07/89)

If you have 80386 machines available, you may find the Windows/386 offers a
much better solution.  Windows/386 does time-slice, and you can start a full
scale "DOS in a window" session and load your memory-resident drivers there.
On the down-side, you may need to have two megabytes of memory available to do
this (we use four megabyte machines here).

In general, Windows/386 will let you do anything in a window (regarding DOS)
that you wish.  The only program that we have been able to find that cannot
run in a window is SoftermPC, a communication package which seems to tie into
almost every interrupt on the machine.  Just for fun, I tried to run a video
game in a window -- worked fine... much to my suprise!

Zacharias J. Beckman   ...   gatech!mdt!pgthor!dev386!beckman
                       ...   uunet!mcrware!pgthor!dev386!beckman
(319) 354-5116               (319) 351-1993

Blessed are the meek for they shall inhibit the earth.