[comp.sys.hp] -L option on cc

scowles@lll-lcc.llnl.gov (Sid Cowles) (02/01/89)

on an ipc with absolute minimum configuration (512K ram, internal
floppy), i've been trying to compile various utilities.  i've found
that the only way i could use cc in this configuration was to ensure
that the floppy was mounted as /tmp.  for libraries, though, like
curses, a ram directory (eg /lib or /usr/lib) had to be created and
the needed library placed there because the -L option of the cc
command would not work.  my specific question is:  is the -L option
really not implemented in spite of the ipc man page description?
in general, does anyone else successfully operate in this spartan
environment?

sid
s cowles
uucp:      {backbone}!lll-lcc!scowles
internet:  scowles@lll-lcc.llnl.gov

bd@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Bob Desinger) (02/04/89)

Sid Cowles (scowles@lll-lcc.llnl.gov) writes:
> on an ipc with absolute minimum configuration (512K ram, internal
> floppy), i've been trying to compile various utilities.

Just a stab in the dark, and an indirect one at that, but does fcc
(the "floppy cc" command) obey a -L flag?  I don't use fcc myself and
I don't know if you even want to use it, but it may be worth a try.
(I have the SE ROM and a meg of memory, so my configuration is pretty
different from yours.  Still, oddly enough, the SE ROM has fcc built
into it even though it also offers cc.)

-- bd

steve@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Steve Hiebert) (02/07/89)

For more stabbing in the dark,

if cc(1) and fcc(1) don't accept "-L", have you tried "-Wl,-L" (the
letter after the -W is an "ell")?  That should force the -L to go to
the loader.

If all else fails, you can specify the libraries fully, e.g.,

	/floppy/lib/libc.a

fcc(1) should ask to have the floppy mounted if it isn't already.  If
fcc(1) still demands a libc.a, you could create an empty one with
ar(1) and place it in a ramdisk /lib.  If all references are resolved
by a previously specified /floppy/lib/libc.a , there will be no
complaints about an empty /lib/libc.a.

Steve Hiebert
Hewlett-Packard
Corvallis Workstation Operation