[comp.sys.hp] HP/3000 TCP/IP - is it standard?

maura@pyrltd.UUCP (Maura Clark) (01/31/89)

Does anyone out there know about HP's TCP/IP offering on the 3000 series
under MPE ? Is it the "real thing". Has anyone connected successfully to HP
3000 using TCP/IP from a "foreign" machine (non-HP), if so what?

I have been told by a HP user that the 3000 TCP/IP is "non-standard" and
work may be required to talk to it!

Thanks for all responses,

Maura.

Maura Clark
Pyramid Technology UK Ltd                    ..!ukc!pyrltd!maura

dfc@hpindda.HP.COM (Don Coolidge) (02/03/89)

>Does anyone out there know about HP's TCP/IP offering on the 3000 series
>under MPE ? Is it the "real thing". Has anyone connected successfully to HP
>3000 using TCP/IP from a "foreign" machine (non-HP), if so what?

>I have been told by a HP user that the 3000 TCP/IP is "non-standard" and
>work may be required to talk to it!

The answer is yes and no.

The 3000 has a real TCP/IP implementation. However, the only networking
and network services currently running on 3000s in the field is the
HP-proprietary NS (HP Network Services). No ARPA/Berkeley services exist yet;
only IEEE 802.2/.3 link level transport is supported (no Ethernet); and all
IP-to-physical address resolution is done by HP's proprietary Probe protocol.
So, any machine you might have that doesn't speak HP's NS (which exists only
on HP machines, and on VAXen running the NS/VAX product) won't be able to talk
to a 3000. (It takes more than just TCP/IP on both machines for them to
communicate - they also have to be compatible in link transport, IP->link
address resolution, and upper-level protocols.)

However, that's in the process of changing. The MPE/V OS (for non-RISC HP 3000
machines) is planning a release of Ethernet/ARP and selected ARPA/Berkeley
services in the near future. I have no idea as to the actual release date,
so contact HP for any hard info.

Don Coolidge
HP Information Networks Division
hplabs!hpda!dfc

wunder@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Walter Underwood) (02/04/89)

Well, I hate to disagree with Don, since he is from a networking
division, but ...

   The 3000 has a real TCP/IP implementation.

Correct, but it does not have UDP and thus does not support domain
name service.

   However, the only networking and network services currently running
   on 3000s in the field is the HP-proprietary NS (HP Network Services).
   No ARPA/Berkeley services exist yet; ...

ARPA services are available for MPE (the "classic" 3000) from The
Wollongong Group.  ARPA services are not available for MPE/XL
(Precision Architecture).  I don't think that the Berkeley services
(rlogin, rcp, rsh, lp) are available from anywhere, but they are
pretty Unix-specific anyway.

   ... only IEEE 802.2/.3 link level transport is supported (no
   Ethernet); and all IP-to-physical address resolution is done by HP's
   proprietary Probe protocol.

MPE release V-Delta-5 supports Ethernet and ARP.  Configure it with
NMMGR, of course.  Ether support is promised for MPE/XL, but the exact
release has not been announced.

Also, if you login to MPE, then telnet out to a Unix machine, the
character mode performance (for vi or Emacs, say) will be miserable.
MPE talks to the terminal in half-duplex, so telnet has to turn the
line around for every character!

Walter Underwood
HP Software Engineering Systems (not a networking division)

dbercel@twg-ap.UUCP (Danielle S. Bercel) (02/08/89)

In article <4310028@hpindda.HP.COM>, dfc@hpindda.HP.COM (Don Coolidge) writes:
> >Does anyone out there know about HP's TCP/IP offering on the 3000 series
> >under MPE ? Is it the "real thing". Has anyone connected successfully to HP
> >3000 using TCP/IP from a "foreign" machine (non-HP), if so what?
>
> >I have been told by a HP user that the 3000 TCP/IP is "non-standard" and
> >work may be required to talk to it!
>
> The answer is yes and no.
>
> The 3000 has a real TCP/IP implementation. However, the only networking
> and network services currently running on 3000s in the field is the
> HP-proprietary NS (HP Network Services). No ARPA/Berkeley services exist yet;
> only IEEE 802.2/.3 link level transport is supported (no Ethernet); and all

The ARPA services do indeed exist for the HP3000 and are from the Wollongong
Group. Including the telnet client and server (server can handle block
mode), ftp client and server, and SMTP interfaced to HP Desk. Additionally,
all clients use the domain name resolver to interface to a name server
via the gethostname function as well as the HP3000 hosts file.

The product WIN/TCP for MPE/V, release 1.1, is available now. Additionally,
HP is scheduled to release Ethernet on V-delta-5 (G.B3.05) soon and then
the need for a gateway to convert IP frames will not be a requirement. However,
to do said conversion the Wollongong Group has a router product
available, WIN/ROUTE for DOS, that runs on a AT (or PS2) and can convert
the IP frames. Also, a Cisco box can do the same thing.

danielle bercel
project leader, WIN/TCP for MPE/V

--
Danielle Bercel - Senior Software Engineer - The Wollongong Group
Email:   dbercel@twg-ap.com or dbercel@twg.com

In article <920017@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM>, wunder@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Walter Underwood) writes:

> ARPA services are available for MPE (the "classic" 3000) from The
> Wollongong Group.  ARPA services are not available for MPE/XL
> (Precision Architecture).  I don't think that the Berkeley services
> (rlogin, rcp, rsh, lp) are available from anywhere, but they are
> pretty Unix-specific anyway.

     This is correct. The ARPA services have not been ported to MPE/XL
for two reasons. One, HP and the Wollongong Group have been discussing it
for months and discussions are going very slowly. Two, HP does
not provide the pseudo-terminal driver (IOPTERM0) on MPE/XL.

> Also, if you login to MPE, then telnet out to a Unix machine, the
> character mode performance (for vi or Emacs, say) will be miserable.
> MPE talks to the terminal in half-duplex, so telnet has to turn the
> line around for every character!

This is also correct and is why the 3000 telnet client comes up in line
mode.