[comp.sys.hp] Sun to HP3000 connection

ssi@usfvax2.EDU (Ssi) (02/06/89)

 I'd like to connect my Sun 3/160 to our HP3000 system. When I
try to run `block mode' applications from the Sun, the HP program
dies, something about terminal status. Character mode seems ok.
How can I emulate an HP 700/58 (I think) terminal on
the Sun???
                Thanks,
            Greg Ripp (SSI) (813)628-6100 x5123
              system1!greg@usf.edu
             ...!uunet!pdn!usfvax2!system1!greg

dbercel@twg-ap.UUCP (Danielle S. Bercel) (02/08/89)

In article <1231@usfvax2.EDU>, ssi@usfvax2.EDU (Ssi) writes:

>  I'd like to connect my Sun 3/160 to our HP3000 system. When I
> try to run `block mode' applications from the Sun, the HP program
> dies, something about terminal status. Character mode seems ok.
> How can I emulate an HP 700/58 (I think) terminal on
> the Sun???

First, you're using release 1.0 which specifically does not support block
mode through telnet. You need release 1.1 which does include this
support.

Second, a Sun does not support HP block mode and the telnet server is
not a terminal emulator so the fact that it can handle block mode does
not mean you can use it on your Sun. Basically, if you can connect your
Sun (or whatever) directly to an HP3000 and run block mode then
you'll be able to use it via telnet. However, if not then telnet does
not in any way change that. You have to remember that block mode happens
between the application program running on the 3000 and the terminal. It
is the terminal that understands block mode, not the telnet server.

Telnet 1.1 doesn't actually understand block mode the way an application
using block mode does. The telnet sever understands block mode in how
it communicates with the pseudo-terminal driver. For example, the terminal
type request, etc.

What you can do are:

Connect a hp terminal to your Sun and use that instead of the Sun
console. Remember, the Unix termcap on the Sun doesn't come into play
here so you have to have an HP terminal or an emulator. When I left
Sun (2/88) I was not aware of any HP terminal emulation for a Sun.

danielle bercel
project leader, WIN/TCP for MPE/V

--
Danielle Bercel - Senior Software Engineer - The Wollongong Group
Email:   dbercel@twg-ap.com or dbercel@twg.com

dcarter@beaver..UUCP (Dan Carter) (02/09/89)

In article <1231@usfvax2.EDU> ssi@usfvax2.EDU (Ssi) writes:

> I'd like to connect my Sun 3/160 to our HP3000 system. When I
>try to run `block mode' applications from the Sun, the HP program dies

HP uses its own protocol for block-mode terminals.  The best reference is
probably the terminal manual (the HP2394A Reference Manual (p/n 02394-90001),
for example).  With that, an HP terminal, and a data scope, one can figure out
the protocol and put together an emulator in just a few months (:-).  But
seriously, it's probably not worth the effort; an HP terminal or a PC with
terminal emulator is a less expensive solution.