[comp.sys.hp] Where the heck does "auto-logout" live?

wargo@odin.ucsd.edu (Dave Wargo) (02/15/89)

Hi there;

I keep getting bit by an "auto-logout" feature on my 9000-300 machine.

Where does it live and what kind of hammer do I use to kill it?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

wargo@odin.ucsd.edu

Ice Cream, it isn't just for breakfast anymore.
Dave Wargo

rodean@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bruce Rodean) (02/16/89)

wargo@odin.ucsd.edu (Dave Wargo) writes:
> I keep getting bit by an "auto-logout" feature on my 9000-300 machine.
> Where does it live and what kind of hammer do I use to kill it?

I presume you are using csh.  Take a look at the csh manual entry under
the section called "CSH UTILITIES".  Autologout is described there.  To
disable the feature, you can either 'unset autologout' or 'set
autologout=0' in your .login file.

Bruce Rodean
rodean%hpfcrn@hplabs.HP.COM

mayer@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Niels Mayer) (02/16/89)

In article <5919@sdcsvax.UUCP> wargo@odin.ucsd.edu (Dave Wargo) writes:
>I keep getting bit by an "auto-logout" feature on my 9000-300 machine.
>
>Where does it live and what kind of hammer do I use to kill it?

I have the following in my .cshrc:

	unset autologout

I would assume that ksh and sh have similar variables. It's doc'd in the
man pages.

-- Niels.

daryl@hpcllla.HP.COM (Daryl Odnert) (02/16/89)

Auto-logout is a "feature" of your login shell.

If you're using /bin/csh, just put the following line in your .cshrc file:
set autologout=0

I assume there is something analogous if your using sh or ksh.

Daryl Odnert
daryl%hpcllla@hplabs.hp.com
Hewlett-Packard

bruce@hpihoah.HP.COM (Bruce LaVigne) (02/16/89)

I use the following line in my .login file (for csh use only):

if ($?autologout) unset autologout

-bruce

ken@hpclkms.HP.COM (Kenneth Sumrall) (02/16/89)

/ hpclkms:comp.sys.hp / wargo@odin.ucsd.edu (Dave Wargo) /  1:57 pm  Feb 14, 1989 /
>I keep getting bit by an "auto-logout" feature on my 9000-300 machine.
>
>Where does it live and what kind of hammer do I use to kill it?

Your shell is in control of this.
In ksh, just type 'TMOUT=0; export TMOUT'.
In csh, type 'unset autologout'.
I don't think sh has an autologout feature.

Ken Sumrall
ken%hpclove@hplabs.hp.com
...!hplabs!hpclove!ken