[comp.sys.hp] Origin of rlogin

brukman@telesci.UUCP (David Brukman ) (02/14/89)

Is it possible to find out the origin of a remote login (rlogin) in
HP-UX?  Specifically, I am running HP-UX 2.1 on a 9000/835.  Other
machines on the network, (Sun workstations) display the hostname in the
who(1) output for remote logins.
--
	Jame Tolissen for President!	David Brukman
EMail:	brukman@telesci.uucp (...!princeton!telesci!brukman)

bert@hpuamsa.UUCP (Bert Van Barneveld) (02/16/89)

Hum, your Sun machines log this in wtmp. HP is SVID compatible and therefor
does not.
The only thing I can think of is the logging facility of inetd.
Start inetd with the "-l" option, it will tell you when someone logged in,
but not when he/she logged off.
Also "netstat -a" will tell you which connections are set up,
but not who did it.

Bert van Barneveld
HP Holland.

human@hpindda.HP.COM (Aaron Schuman) (02/17/89)

I'm posting this for David:
------------------------------

That's because the BSD utmp structure has a field for the remote host,
and the System V utmp structure, from which ours is derived, does not.
The answer is "no, you can't."

We would like to fix this, but we need "marketing data" to support the
need.  Would you please gripe to HP support about this?  Thanks.

-David Haimson

milburn@ux3.lbl.gov (John Milburn) (02/17/89)

In article <4310029@hpindda.HP.COM> human@hpindda.HP.COM (Aaron Schuman) writes:
>That's because the BSD utmp structure has a field for the remote host,
>and the System V utmp structure, from which ours is derived, does not.
>The answer is "no, you can't."

>We would like to fix this, but we need "marketing data" to support the
>need.  Would you please gripe to HP support about this?  Thanks.

Please mark me as having griped. The trouble with griping to the local HP
support people is that one has no confidence that the complaint is heard
by the proper people at the factory. One would suspect that at some point
simple features could be added by informed technical folk without
the expense and lethargy of "marketing data".

John Milburn - CAD System Manager - Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
(JEMilburn@lbl.gov)