[comp.sys.hp] 4.3 on Series 300s

zuhn@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Dave Zuhn) (01/20/89)

I seem to remember something recently about a 4.3BSD implementation on
HP 9000/300's.  We've got a 320 and 4 310's that are the sole Sys V machines
on our department net.  Is a 4.3 available for some very reasonble cost, such
as medium costs only, etc.  Can anyone please send me info?

Thanks much.

Dave Zuhn
ACM HP Administrator
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
zuhn@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

kevinj@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Kevin Jackson) (01/20/89)

In article <10890@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> zuhn@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Dave Zuhn) writes:
>I seem to remember something recently about a 4.3BSD implementation on
>HP 9000/300's.  We've got a 320 and 4 310's that are the sole Sys V machines
>on our department net.  Is a 4.3 available for some very reasonble cost, such
>as medium costs only, etc.  Can anyone please send me info?

There is currently a release of 4.3BSD being distributed by the university
of Utah (utah.colorado.edu).  I think the person to as about this is
Mike Hibler (mike@jaguar.cs.utah.edu).

They've actually done a fairly nice job.  Some of the things that are
'hardwired' into the setup can be a problem (e.g. the keyboard must be the
first device in the hil chain on the console), but for the most part
things work just as you'd expect a 4.3bsd machine to work.  Also, code seems
to port very easily to these machines.

kevinj

mjb%hoosier.utah.edu@wasatch.UUCP (Mark J. Bradakis) (01/21/89)

In article <5963@boulder.Colorado.EDU> kevinj@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Kevin Jackson) writes:

>They've actually done a fairly nice job.  Some of the things that are
>'hardwired' into the setup can be a problem (e.g. the keyboard must be the
>first device in the hil chain on the console), but for the most part
>things work just as you'd expect a 4.3bsd machine to work.  Also, code seems
>to port very easily to these machines.

Is there a specific problem you've had with the keyboard being hil1?  Under
HP-UX we always had them set up that way, so we made it that way in bsd.
Not having complete docs about the hardware and software we can't do
EVERYTHING right, but we try.  Incidently, the Utah port does NOT support
the 310 mahines, only 68020 and 68030 based processors.

mjb.
ps: we usually have
hil1 => keyboard
hil2 => ID
hil3 => mouse

mjb@hoosier.utah.edu

"I put you behind the wheel of a duece and a quarter, yes I did!"

Luis@postgres.Berkeley.EDU (Luis Miguel) (01/21/89)

> Subject: 4.3 on Series 300s

> I seem to remember something recently about a 4.3BSD implementation on
> HP 9000/300's.  We've got a 320 and 4 310's that are the sole Sys V machines
> on our department net.  Is a 4.3 available for some very reasonble cost, such
> as medium costs only, etc.  Can anyone please send me info?

The University of Utah has done the port, and they distribute it for FREE !!
Send mail to hpbsd@cs.utah.edu inquiring for the tapes.
I am using it and it works quite well, although some bugs remain.
You also get the advantage of compatibility with hpux binaries
(I tried it with hpclII, and it works quite well).

Their support is excellent (my questions and bug reports have been answered
and resolved immediately)

/Luis

Luis Miguel. Computer Science Division, UC Berkeley.
arpanet: luis@postgres.Berkeley.EDU
uucp: {ihnp4,decvax}!ucbvax!ingres!luis
at&t: (415) 642-9585 (Work)

rjn@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bob Niland) (01/22/89)

re: "Incidently, the Utah port does NOT support the 310 mahines, only 68020
     and 68030 based processors."

HP-UX 6.5 (imminent) will also be the last 68010-compatible release.  There
are two 68020 upgrade paths available for the 310 (68010) today.  We expect
to announce a 68030 path shortly.

bdale@hp-col.HP.COM (Bdale Garbee) (02/18/89)

>Is there a specific problem you've had with the keyboard being hil1?

I just did an informal survey of the machines in my work group.  All were set
up with an ID module on a short cord hanging from the back of the SPU, then
a long cord to the keyboard, and the mouse last.  I think the idea is to keep
the silly ID module out of sight, out of mind, where it belongs...  It would
be no great hardship to have to make the keyboard first, but it'd be a drag...

Bdale