From: jv@mhres.UUCP (Johan Vromans)
Date: Sat, 23 May 87 12:53:43 MDT
Subject: Nroff/Troff for HP-UX with Laserjet (Summary)
Newsgroups: comp.sources.wanted,comp.sys.hp,comp.text

A few weeks ago, I put the following question on the net:

> Hewlett-Packard makes fine computers (HP9000) with good operating systems
> (HP-UX) and even better laserprinters (HP-Laserjet).
>
> Is there anybody who can provide me with a version of nroff (or troff)
> for HP9000 model 500 or 300, running HP-UX, which is capable driving the
> Laserjet? Of course HP should provide them, but they don't.

I have received lots of replies, which I will summarize here.

    eroff from ELAN. Contains troff, pic, grap, tbl, eqn
    exclusively for the HP Laserjet, using the B or F cartridge.
    It does a fine job except for one major thing. It knows how to
    download fonts (if you've got an LJ+), but only HP soft fonts.
    Lacking these, printing much of anything in a point size other
    than the default makes the LJ die on a complexity error (21).
    So, if you want to do more than a line or two of a strange
    point size, get the soft fonts.
	(thanks to: gargoyle!congdon)

    I bought recently a version of TROFF "eroff" from ELAN Computer
    Group that runs under XENIX with HP-Laser Jet, LaserJet+ and
    LaserJet II. It is not cheap $795 + shipping / handling, but
    now with the U.S. dollar below 2 guilders it is a bargain for
    you (I am being sarcastic).
	(thanks to: jplcwp!deutsch)

    "tplus" from Textware International is the best of the products
    I've seen, and the middle price of the three.

    Image Network - (somewhere in California) highest price,
    second best quality

    Elan Computers - (*somewhere else in California. I think the
    email address is amdahl!kgreer or amdahl!greer, but I'm not
    sure.) much lower price, quality unexciting but usable.
	(thanks to: ho95e!wcs)

    Elan offers excellent troff support for the Laserjet on HP-UX.
	(thanks to: hpda!hpisoa1!davel)

    A local company, Textware International, sells a port of the AT&T
    Documenter's Work Bench (DWB) including dvi drivers for the HP LaserJet
    and LaserJet+.  We use and like the product.
	(thanks to: maynard!campbell)

    You can purchase the binaries on a tape for a price of 1300 usd
    by sending a telex or mail to our addresses mentioned below
    specifying the machine type (300/500) and by paying freight collect.

    The features of the product (laserjet-i) include:

    1. Setup instructions

    2. LP laser driver script skeleton for rs-232 with the following options:

	-om	manual feed
	-ov	vertical print
	-or	raw (graphics) mode

    3. Bold/underline filter (hp2686a-i) for producing bolding / underlining
       from standard nroff output.  This is added in the driver script when
       one hasn't set the raw mode option mentioned, so users don't see it,
       they can type eg. command:

	nroff -mm infile | lp -dlaser

    4. HP 8-bit character set filter.  The filter is used to change the
       usascii 7-bit characters into national ones.  It defaults to the
       scandinavian charset (quite naturally :-), where eg. usascii '['
       is an uppercase umlaut-A.  You can specify other conversions (eg.
       the dutch one about which I currently don't know anything :-) on
       command line or in an environment variable HP8FILTER.  This is used
       here to create 7-bit finnish documents with command:

	nroff -mm infile | hp8filter | lp -dlaser

       which can be hidden from enduser by creating simple scripts: we
       have them on names 'finlaser' and 'uslaser', which are addendums
       to our product.  If you're using the system in 8 bit mode using
       8-bit vi or similar, this is not needed, but because the hp-nroff
       doesn't eat 8-bit chars on input, I doubt it...
	Petri Launiainen @ Intrinsic Oy
	(thanks to: sibelius!pl)

    Elan Computer Group sells a version of troff, which we use with
    our 9000/550+HP-UX+Laserjet. The system includes eqn, tbl,
    troff, pic and the newest version also has grap. The price for
    our system is close to $2000 now. They include some support for
    European characters.
	(thanks to: hafro!gunnar)

In the mean time, someone asked the same question for IBM-PC.
From the net I took the following reply:

    Elan Software makes an excelent WWB product [for IBM PCOA], including
    ditroff and some drivers. Don't have the paper address,
    but their net machine is ihnp4!chinet!steinmetz!elan.
    Super product and support!
	(thanks to:
	    seismo!rutgers!sri-spam!mordor!styx!ptsfa!
	    ihnp4!chinet!steinmetz!davidsen)

Addresses:
	ELAN Computer Group
	410 Cambridge Ave, Suite A
	Palo Alto, CA 94306
	(415) 322-2450
	E-mail: ..hplabs!elan!support

	Textware International
	P.O. Box 14
	Harvard Square
	Cambridge, MA 02238
	(617) UNI-TEXT
	{wjh12,cfib}!textware!brent

	Intrinsic Oy,
	Aleksis Kiven katu 11 C,
	33720 Tampere, Finland
  	Phone: (int) 358 31 132800,
	USENET: pl@intrin.FI,
	telex: 22004 tmpre sf

boulder.UCAR.EDU!cdash sent me a nroff to laserjet filter. If you
    are interested, I'll mail it to you. I'll add my own filter too.

rclark@speclabbgp-usgs.gov (Roger N. Clark) (03/01/89)

From the responses I have seen so far, it is apparent that people
aren't aware of WWB.  The posting by Bob Niland was about
nroff/troff (DWB, as Clarke Echols said).  But WWB contains writing
analysis programs.  The two that are on the 500 (style and diction)
are common BSD programs and really aren't very useful (as Clarke
indicated).  (The diction program can help a little or indicate
extreme problems.)

WWB includes programs to do things like:
     find split infinitives
     find repeated typings of words (like the the)
     checks punctuation
   and more.

WWB has many additional features that may be more amusing than useful
(like find sexist phrases, compare the style of one document with
another--e.g. how close is your writing to shakespear?).

But overall I think it is a useful package to have if it is not too
expensive.  Anyone know of (unsuported) public domain versions?

Bob Niland's reposting of Johan Vromans is for typsetting programs
only, not WWB.  By the way, I have posted nroff driver tables for
the laserjets and HPUX.  I also have them on Sun (BSD) and VAX
VMS/Eunice.  The original work in decifering the table format was
done by Bruce Townsend--I just added the laser specifics.  It is
very easy to adding a whole new printer, sort of like adding a
terminal to the terminfo database.  Send me email if you are new to
the net and didn't get those postings.

Roger N. Clark
U.S. Geological Survey, MS 964
Box 25046 Federal Center
Denver, CO 80225-0046
(303) 236-1332
 FTS  776-1332
..!speclab!rclark

jlo@elan.UUCP (Jeff Lo) (03/04/89)

I usually try to mail directly to people rather than flood the net
with information about our product, but some of the information
posted in the article I'm following up is is somewhat out of date
and no longer correct. Hence the posting.

In article <5570128@hpfcdc.HP.COM> you write:
>re: "Does HP or a third party sell the writer's workbench (for series 300,
>     500 and 800; we have all three)?  It sure would be nice to have!"

This is actually about Documenter's WorkBench (DWB). Writer's WorkBench
is the collection of style, diction, etc. tools. I don't know that AT&T
is still making WWB available or not.

>From: jv@mhres.UUCP (Johan Vromans)
>Date: Sat, 23 May 87 12:53:43 MDT
>Subject: Nroff/Troff for HP-UX with Laserjet (Summary)
>> Is there anybody who can provide me with a version of nroff (or troff)
>> for HP9000 model 500 or 300, running HP-UX, which is capable driving the
>> Laserjet? Of course HP should provide them, but they don't.
>
>I have received lots of replies, which I will summarize here.
>
>    eroff from ELAN. Contains troff, pic, grap, tbl, eqn
>    exclusively for the HP Laserjet, using the B or F cartridge.
>    It does a fine job except for one major thing. It knows how to
>    download fonts (if you've got an LJ+), but only HP soft fonts.
>	(thanks to: gargoyle!congdon)

Eroff has included a PostScript driver for quite a while now. There
is also an optional Imagen driver.

Also, Eroff has for some time now supported downloaded fonts from sources
other than HP.  We have customers who use the Fontware program
from SoftCraft to generate fonts that they use with eroff.

Eroff is available for HP 300's, 500's and 800's.

>    I bought recently a version of TROFF "eroff" from ELAN Computer
>    Group that runs under XENIX with HP-Laser Jet, LaserJet+ and
>    LaserJet II. It is not cheap $795 + shipping / handling, but
>    now with the U.S. dollar below 2 guilders it is a bargain for
>    you (I am being sarcastic).
>	(thanks to: jplcwp!deutsch)

Current prices for Eroff start at $695 depending on the machine.

>    Elan Computers - (*somewhere else in California. I think the
>    email address is amdahl!kgreer or amdahl!greer, but I'm not
>    sure.) much lower price, quality unexciting but usable.
>	(thanks to: ho95e!wcs)

Ken Greer has not been at Amdahl for some time now, try using
this: ..!{ames,hplabs,uunet}!elan!kg to get to Ken.  The product
has been much improved in the three or so years since Ken was
working at Amdahl.

>    Elan offers excellent troff support for the Laserjet on HP-UX.
>	(thanks to: hpda!hpisoa1!davel)

>    Elan Computer Group sells a version of troff, which we use with
>    our 9000/550+HP-UX+Laserjet. The system includes eqn, tbl,
>    troff, pic and the newest version also has grap. The price for
>    our system is close to $2000 now. They include some support for
>    European characters.
>	(thanks to: hafro!gunnar)

Out of the box, Eroff supports the Roman-8 character set used in the
HP Soft Fonts.  If you have your own fonts with other characters, all
necessary tools and instructions are included to rebuild the necessary
font description files for troff.  There is also support for 8-bit
keyboards in the way of a configurable filter which will convert 8-bit
input into 7-bit plus special characters for troff.

>In the mean time, someone asked the same question for IBM-PC.
>From the net I took the following reply:
>
>    Elan Software makes an excelent WWB product [for IBM PCOA], including

				     DWB

>    ditroff and some drivers. Don't have the paper address,
>    but their net machine is ihnp4!chinet!steinmetz!elan.

See address below.

>    Super product and support!
>	(thanks to:
>	    seismo!rutgers!sri-spam!mordor!styx!ptsfa!
>	    ihnp4!chinet!steinmetz!davidsen)
>
>Addresses:
>	ELAN Computer Group
>	410 Cambridge Ave, Suite A
>	Palo Alto, CA 94306
>	(415) 322-2450
>	E-mail: ..hplabs!elan!support

We are moving on March 15 1989. The new address will be:

	Elan Computer Group, Inc.
	888 Villa Street, 3rd Floor
	Mountain View, CA 94041
	(415) 964-2200
	FAX: (415) 964-8588
	Email: ..!{ames,hplabs,uunet}!elan!support

Elan also has just announced an X11 based screen previewer for ditroff.
Write or call for more details.
--
Jeff Lo
..!{ames,hplabs,uunet}!elan!jlo