[comp.sys.hp] Interfacing with HP 9000/3XX

camiel@eutnv1.UUCP (Camiel Severijns) (03/01/89)

Hello there,

We need to interface our HP 9000/330 and 340 workstations running HP-UX with a
special IO-bus developed at our faculty. For one of these interfaces we want to
use HP's GPIO bus. We have a design ready now for this interface, but before we
actually build it we would like to know if someone out there already has build
an interface using the GPIO bus. If so, what are your experiences with the GPIO
bus, are there thinghs to take especially care of, do you have some advice for
us ?

For a second interface we want to use the HPIB. One of our students is working
on it now. We also would like to know of somebody already has some experience
with HPIB and has some advice for us.

Thanks in advance.

--
| Camiel Severijns							       |
| Dept. of Physics, Eindhoven University of Technology			       |

low@melair.UUCP (Rick Low) (03/03/89)

In article <22@eutnv1.UUCP>, camiel@eutnv1.UUCP (Camiel Severijns) writes:
> We need to interface our HP 9000/330 and 340 workstations running HP-UX with a
> special IO-bus developed at our faculty.
> | Camiel Severijns
> | Dept. of Physics, Eindhoven University of Technology

I don't know anything about this particular application, but one thing to
keep in mind for anyone else integrating other systems with HP 9000
Series 300 machines is the HP VMEbus interface.  If I can quote from the
HP 9000 Series 300 Hardware Technical Data:

	The VMEbus Interface provides bi-directional data transfer
	capabilities between the Series 300 and the VMEbus (IEEE P1014),
	permitting configurations of both HP-IB and VME systems.  The
	package consists of the HP 98646A VMEbus Interface hardware and
	the HP 98385A/R VMEbus Driver software.  ... The VME master
	module fits into any standard double height [6U I take it]
	VMEbus Rack. ... The 98646A provides 24-bit addressing and either
	8- or 16-bit data transfers.

Data transfer rate is about 950Kbytes/s using HP-UX.

I don't work for HP.  I haven't even used this particular product.
I just looked at it in the catalog recently as a possible solution
to one of my problems.

Rick Low
MEL Defence Systems, Ottawa, Canada
+1 613 836 6860
mitel!melair!low@uunet.UU.NET

rjn@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bob Niland) (03/05/89)

re: "We need to interface our HP 9000/330 and 340 workstations running
     HP-UX with a special IO-bus developed at our faculty.  For one of these
     interfaces we want to use HP's GPIO bus."

We (at HP) don't generally think of the the 98622A GPIO card as providing a
"bus".  It is most commonly used as a point-to-point parallel interface,
however, nothing about it necessarily precludes bus-type usage.

In addition to the GPIO, you also have available to you...

  * 98624A or 98625B IEEE-488 (aka HP-IB, which you know about)
  * 98658A SCSI interface
  * 98646A VME adaptor
  * 98630A Breadboard card (implement your unique bus on our card)

The Model 330 (but not 340) can also accept a plug-on 98577A VME card cage,
should your bus already be supported by an existing VME card.

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland        rjn@hpfcrjn.HP.COM                  3404 East Harmony Road
                  [hplabs|hpu...!hpfcse]!rjn          Ft Collins CO 80525-9599