[comp.sys.hp] Looking for alternative support tools or replacement for HP64000's

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (03/07/89)

Hello.  Our company has a 68000-based product that was developed using
the HP64000 system for emulation, compiling and assembling code, etc.
The tools as provided by HP run on the 64000 as well as VAX/VMS on a
750.  We did most of the development work under VMS with Eunice so
we'd have make, SCCS, etc.  There is an HP-proprietary transfer
program that moves files back and forth between the VAX and the HP6400
system.

My management wants to get rid of the VAX, and frankly, so do I.  The
problem, though, is continuing to support the code.  There are several
possibilities:

1.  Junk the HP64000 (it's really ancient stuff) and go to a new type of
development system.  Problem: our product code is about 2/3 C and 1/3
assembler.  If the assembler doesn't use the same syntax (there are
quite a few different 68000 assembler syntaxes in use) or the calling
convention for C calls isn't the same, there's a lot of conversion work.
I could buy HP's whizzy new latest-generation emulator systems, at a cost
of $40K per workstation or so (I haven't investigated this option in detail).
But we are a small, cheap company.

2.  Do our builds on the HP64000 itself, rather than on the VMS system.
Problem: no decent editors, no SCCS, no make.  One possibility is to do
editing and SCCS on a Unix system, and transfer source files over to the
64000 for building.  Problem: the HP transfer program is proprietary.

3.  Get some kind of PC-based emulation system.  We have PCs on an Ethernet
with PC-NFS already in place.  We have the problem of converting the code.

It occurs to me that lots of people once used HP64000 systems, and also
that such systems are pretty much obsolete.  I'm looking for ideas and
experiences other people have had.  How did you handle this?

Please respond by mail (unless you think a lot of people would benefit
by a posting), and I'll summarize what I learn.  Thanks in advance.
--
-- Joe Buck	jbuck@epimass.epi.com, uunet!epimass.epi.com!jbuck

algoss@hpubmaa.HP.COM (Al Gosselin) (03/08/89)

I am a field System Engineer for the 64000 line, so I have a vested
interest in the direction you go.
The 64000-UX system has all of the things you need, and the prices have
come down drastically over the last few years. We have a new language
system we call AxLS. This includes an ANSI 'C' compiler which is totally
new and much better than the old compiler. There is a new assembler which
is compatible with the Motorola standard. Shipped with these products are
some conversion programs to ease the transition. These include both 'C'
and assembler converters as well as some tools to allow you to call exis-
ting assembly language code from the new compiler. If you buy the 9000
computer just for S/W development, you can use the High-Speed link to
move the absolute to the 64000 system. You can also convert the 64000
stations to Instrumentation Card Cages for direct use with the 9000. This
allows emulation from your HP-UX terminal or windows or whatever with
neat fetures like the softkeys and "C" source code in your trace listings.

Don't write off the 64000 just because it's old! It's still selling well
and we've developed a good upgrade to HP-UX. Call your local Sales Rep.
or me if you have questions!

Algoss  (203) 659-6067

raveling@vaxb.isi.edu (Paul Raveling) (03/08/89)

In article <2937@epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:

>My management wants to get rid of the VAX, and frankly, so do I.  The
>problem, though, is continuing to support the code.  There are several
>possibilities:
>
>1.  Junk the HP64000 (it's really ancient stuff) and go to a new type of
>development system.  ...

	One alternative you might want to check is Kontron Electronics
	development system products.  I'm haven't been in touch with
	their product line for several years, but would expect that
	they have a descendent of the FutureData Slave Emulator
	product line that would either communicate with a host
	or plug into an IBM PC or equivalent.

	Back when I was the MESS (Manager of Emulation Systems Software)
	at FutureData, the HP 64000's were our nearest competitor
	in terms of technical merit on 68000 emulators.  Both systems
	were generally similar, with similar tools available for
	cross-compilation and cross-assembly.  FutureData had an
	edge in the user interface for debugging via the emulator
	and in several emulation capabilities.

	Kontron bought FutureData and seems to be keeping a fairly
	low profile in this country, though I understand they're
	thriving in Europe.  It's probably worth checking on what
	they offer now.

----------------
Paul Raveling
Raveling@isi.edu

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (03/09/89)

. .
.
. 	One alternative you might want to check is Kontron Electronics
. 	development system products.  I'm haven't been in touch with
. 	their product line for several years, but would expect that
. 	they have a descendent of the FutureData Slave Emulator
. 	product line that would either communicate with a host
. 	or plug into an IBM PC or equivalent.

They certainly do.  (That was my baby at Kontron Electronics).  The
user interface is the best available in an in-circuit emulator today
(of course, I'm biased).  They can be reached at (415) 965-7020.

. 	Back when I was the MESS (Manager of Emulation Systems Software)
. 	at FutureData, the HP 64000's were our nearest competitor
. 	in terms of technical merit on 68000 emulators.  Both systems
. 	were generally similar, with similar tools available for
. 	cross-compilation and cross-assembly.  FutureData had an
. 	edge in the user interface for debugging via the emulator
. 	and in several emulation capabilities.

The gap between the Kontron product and their competitors isn't
as dramatic as it once was, but it's still worth considering.  Keep
in mind that successful emulation of a particular target system
is highly dependent on a variety of variables, including whether
your target's quirks match the emulator's quirks.

. 	Kontron bought FutureData and seems to be keeping a fairly
. 	low profile in this country, though I understand they're
. 	thriving in Europe.  It's probably worth checking on what
. 	they offer now.
.
. Paul Raveling

--
Clayton E. Cramer                   {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
Governments that don't trust most people with weapons, deserve no trust.