[comp.sys.hp] product support on HPUX

rob@innovus.UUCP (Rob Sciuk) (03/07/89)

Regarding the HP9000 series 3xx, I need some information regarding product
availability from some of the nice factory people who seem to frequent this
group:

	1.)	At which version of HPUX does X.11 become the standard
		X windows interface?

	2.)	At which version of HPUX does support for HPCL-I end?

	3.)	At which version of HPUX does support for WINDOWS/9000
		end?

	4.)	At which version of HPUX does support for X.10 end?

This is probably available somewhere, but as yet, I have not seen any info
regarding HP's product support plans through HPUX 7.0 and beyond.  Is this
proprietary?  Thanks in advance for this info.

While I have your attention, perhaps this is also an opportune time to ask
about the (final?) 5.3 (?) release of HPUX for the 5xx series ??  When? What?
Can anyone help here ??

rss.
Rob Sciuk {Vanilla Disclaimer ...}	{Not a flame ... merely a glimmer ...}
mail:	Innovus Inc., 204-200 James St. S., Hamilton, Ont Canada L8P 3A9
uucp:	rob@innovus, ..!utzoo!yunexus!maccs!innovus!rob

mcb@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Michael Berry) (03/09/89)

Re: 5.3 release for s500

> While I have your attention, perhaps this is also an opportune time to ask
> about the (final?) 5.3 (?) release of HPUX for the 5xx series ??  When? What?
> Can anyone help here ??

> Rob Sciuk

This information will be forthcoming in a couple of weeks.  The "update_info"
document will be available then.

Michael Berry   ARPA:mcb%hpfcde@hplabs.HP.COM   UUCP:hplabs!hpfcla!mcb

rodean@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Bruce Rodean) (03/09/89)

rob@innovus.UUCP (Rob Sciuk) writes:
> Regarding the HP9000 series 3xx, I need some information regarding product
> availability from some of the nice factory people who seem to frequent this
> group:
> 	1.)	At which version of HPUX does X.11 become the standard
> 		X windows interface?

Release 6.5 has incorporated the X Window System Version 11 into the AXE
and PE products.  It should start getting to customers at the end of
this month.  HP is supporting it as the standard windows interface.

>	2.)	At which version of HPUX does support for HPCL-I end?

I don't know what HPCL is.

>	3.)	At which version of HPUX does support for WINDOWS/9000
>		end?

Release 6.5 has the complete WINDOWS/9000 offering in both AXE and PE.
Customers are being urged to migrate to X 11 beginning with this
release.  There are a number of scenarios being proposed for the future
of WINDOWS/9000.  I am not at liberty to discuss them, but rest assured,
WINDOWS/9000 is not going away overnight.

>	4.)	At which version of HPUX does support for X.10 end?

X Version 10 was made a product by Corvallis Workstation Operation and
it will be up to them what happens with it.  I will let them speak for
themselves.

This does not necessarily represent the official position of HP.

Bruce Rodean
rodean%hpfcrn@hplabs.HP.COM

mlight@hpiacla.HP.COM (Mike Light ) (03/09/89)

>Regarding the HP9000 series 3xx, I need some information regarding product
>availability from some of the nice factory people who seem to frequent this
>group:

#ifdef CAUTION
Ah, but be Careful, my Dear Factory Fellows -

It's one thing to be nice to our customers;
It's another thing to disseminate unofficial guesses
     or to mis-set expectations
     or to give away "competitive advantage"
     or to get your knuckles rapped by upper-level managers
#endif

As for your questions, Rob, some of them can probably be
safely answered (but alas, I don't know the answers).
In general, products don't just die overnight.  In past
projects I've worked on, customers were given a 5-year
warning of any product obsolescence.  To my knowledge, however,
this is only a policy and not a law for HP products.

 Mike Light  HP Industrial Applications Center - mlight@hpiacla.HP.COM