[comp.sys.hp] suspend-emacs on HP9000/835

banderso@sagpd1.UUCP (Bruce Anderson) (03/18/89)

I recently installed Gnu Emacs 18.52 on our HP9000/835. The
operating system is based on SysV but has Berkeley enhancements
including job control. When executing a 'suspend-emacs' function,
a new subshell is created rather than actually suspending the
editor and returning to the calling shell and I was wondering
if this is the normal behaviour for this machine or if I didn't
do a proper job of configuring it.

- Bruce Anderson		| "You seem to think because you've
- Scientific Atlanta - GPD	|  got chicken-to-go, you're alive."
- ...!sagpd1!banderso		|    - Gordon Lightfoot

fkittred@bbn.com (Fletcher Kittredge) (03/20/89)

In article <362@sagpd1.UUCP> banderso@sagpd1.UUCP (Bruce Anderson) writes:
>I recently installed Gnu Emacs 18.52 on our HP9000/835. The
>operating system is based on SysV but has Berkeley enhancements
>including job control. When executing a 'suspend-emacs' function,
>a new subshell is created rather than actually suspending the
>editor and returning to the calling shell and I was wondering
>if this is the normal behaviour for this machine or if I didn't
>do a proper job of configuring it.
>
>- Bruce Anderson		| "You seem to think because you've
>- Scientific Atlanta - GPD	|  got chicken-to-go, you're alive."
>- ...!sagpd1!banderso		|    - Gordon Lightfoot

You definitely have something configured wrong, since suspend-emacs
should work via SIGTSTP/SIGCONT on Series 8xx's running HP-UX 2.0 or
later.  However, it is hard to tell what your problem might be.  One
thing you could check is that you have the proper machine file included
in your "config.h".  If you include "m-hp9000s300.h" instead of
"m-hp9000s800.h", then NOMULTIPLEJOBS will get defined and NEED_BSDTTY
will not get defined.  In this case, suspend-emacs will create the sub-shell.

regards,
fletcher

Fletcher E. Kittredge  fkittred@bbn.com