[comp.sys.hp] C++ for HP-UX?

hmc@hwee.UUCP (Hugh Conner) (03/17/89)

Does anyone know of a C++ compiler/translator available for HP series
9000/300 systems running HP-UX. Alternatively has anyone ported the AT&T
translator and can tell me what changes I need to make as the version we
have dumps core when I try to run it.
--
+              "Who are all these people in my office anyway?"                +
+                                                                             +

bla@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Brad Ahlf) (03/28/89)

I would love to see C++ on HP9000s too.  Anyone else interested in C++??

How many of you are there who are interested in a C++ translator and/or
compiler on HP9000 S300 and/or S800?
Which product,or combination of products, are you most interested in?
(C++/300 translator, C++/300 compiler, C++/800 translator, C++/800 compiler)
Would you be migrating existing C code?  Only doing new C++ development?
How concerned are you with compatibility with K&R C, ANSI C, other C++
(ATT, g++?) software?
Would you use C++ as 'a better C' or as a vehicle for Object Oriented
Programming (OOP)?
How much interest in integration with other existing tools?  (xdb, etc.)
How much interest in new tools specifically for C++?
How much interest in an integrated environment featuring C++?
What is your vision for C++ in the future?
How soon would you buy it?
How soon could you use it?
What is your wish list?
Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Feel free to post and/or to send mail to me.

Brad Ahlf
...{ucbvax, ...other well-known nodes}!hplabs!hpda!brad
brad@hpda.HP.COM

hmc@hwee.UUCP (Hugh Conner) (03/29/89)

In article <7410035@hpcupt1.HP.COM> bla@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Brad Ahlf) writes:
>I would love to see C++ on HP9000s too.  Anyone else interested in C++??

I have been informed by HP Labs in the UK that both the AT&T and GNU C++
systems have been successfully ported to HP 9000/300 and 800 series machines.
I am now attempting to get hold of both these for evaluation, however I would
still be interested in a fully supported product from HP. I would be using C++
for its OOP facilities. We are doing image processing research here and I think
that OOP would be a big help. I really want to compare C++ and Objective-C
(and yes I have a working Objective-C) as we already have a lot of code written
in C which could be translated to one of these languages.
--
+              "Who are all these people in my office anyway?"                +
+     Hugh M. Conner                                  hmc@ee.hw.ac.uk         +

walter@hpsad.HP.COM (Walter Coole) (03/30/89)

G++, the GNU equivalent, would probably work fine on HP-UX, but I don't know
whether it can be stopped short of 68K code-generation (assuming you want an
800 native compiler).