[comp.sys.hp] Anyone out there using HP's DesignCenter Software ?

cad@msn017.misemi (_syscad_) (03/17/89)

Hi,
	I was just curious to find out if there are any users of HP's
DesignCenter software out on the net. Here at Mitel we make rather extensive
use of their Design Capture System, PCDS, DVI, ME10 & ME30 Software.
Anyways, I thought it might be interesting to see there is anyone out
there to exchange ideas, problems etc.

Alan Nakamoto
CAE Support
Mitel Corporation

	Sorry if this is not the 'correct' newsgroup but since this
software only runs on HP equipment I thought it would get the best
exposure here. Comp.lsi.cad seems pretty devoid of chatter these days.

milburn@me10.lbl.gov (John Milburn) (03/20/89)

In article <550@msn017.misemi> cad@msn017.misemi (_syscad_) writes:
>Hi,
>	I was just curious to find out if there are any users of HP's
>DesignCenter software out on the net. Here at Mitel we make rather extensive

Sure. We are using the full range of DesignCenter Products, including
me10, me30, egs, eds, pcds and so on and so on. I run the mechanical side
of things, and we now have about 45 me10 seats and two me30 seats.

I'm not certain about the electrical side, but they have at least 25 egs
stations (using SRM wkstation and HP Pascal). They also have a few each
of the pcds and eds stations.

I would be very interested in hearing from other sites on the net using these
products, as it seems the majority of the customers are not very well
connected (Internet-wise), and we have had MAJOR problems getting proper
hp-ux and networking support out of these products.

Just last month I got an update to me10 which allows it to deal with nfs.
This is more than one year since hp's nfs was released. Still can't
get off the rfa stuff, though, since I don't have a similar fix for me30 yet.

Does anyone out there know whether the unsupported mdd macros for me10 and
me30 are available via anonymous ftp from somewhere? If they are not,
and there is sufficient interest, I could probably come up with a server
and make them available.

John Milburn
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
INTERNET:  JEMilburn@lbl.gov     UUCP:  {...!ucbvax!lbl.gov!JEMilburn}
DECNet:    LBL::JEMilburn        SnailMail: 1 Cyclotron Road 46-161
Ma Bell:    (415) 486-6969                   Berkeley, Ca. 94720

is813cs@pyr.gatech.EDU (Cris Simpson) (03/20/89)

We're running DCS & Hilo on a 319 (Soon to be a 360).  We're looking to
move beyond EGS on the 9936.  How are the ME?0 products? Would you
buy them again? Would you choose them over other products on other
platforms?
Thanks,
cris   x

cad@msn017.misemi (_syscad_) (03/22/89)

In article <7649@pyr.gatech.EDU>, is813cs@pyr.gatech.EDU (Cris Simpson) writes:
> We're running DCS & Hilo on a 319 (Soon to be a 360).  We're looking to
> move beyond EGS on the 9936.  How are the ME?0 products? Would you
> buy them again? Would you choose them over other products on other
> platforms?

	DCS and Hilo on a 319 ? You have my condolences. We were talked into
purchasing a couple of 319s as low-cost DCS stations. We purchased them with
8 Megs of memory and 132 Mb. disks. However, we found them to be exceedingly
slow. Further, after loading in DCS and a basic UNIX core we only had 3
Mb. of disk space remaining. Needless to say, we only run DCS on 350s.
(i'm anxious to see how they'll run on 340s)

with HP's EE software and have only played with ME10 a couple of times.
Unlike DCS, it runs great on a 319. Coming from a AutoCAD environment, I
would argue that ME10 is far better. It's user interface and command structure
are far slicker and it seems far more flexible. (Dealing only with 2-D drawings
of course.) Unfortunately, I have no working experience with ME30 but the
mechanical engineers that work with it seem to like it alot. The only
major complaint that I hear consistantly is the time it takes to translate
a 2-D view to a 3-D which seems to take anywhere from 2-8 hours on a 350.

Alan Nakamoto
CAE Support
Mitel Corporation

al@cs.strath.ac.uk (Alan Lorimer) (03/30/89)

In article <634@msn017.misemi> cad@msn017.misemi (_syscad_) writes:
>In article <7649@pyr.gatech.EDU>, is813cs@pyr.gatech.EDU (Cris Simpson) writes:
>> We're running DCS & Hilo on a 319 (Soon to be a 360).  We're looking to
>> move beyond EGS on the 9936.  How are the ME?0 products? Would you
>> buy them again? Would you choose them over other products on other
>> platforms?
>
>	DCS and Hilo on a 319 ? You have my condolences. We were talked into

Are you running DCS through the design system manager and
Windows/9000? This turns a relatively fast product into something
which is so hopelessly slow it is almost unusable.  We have DCS, DVI
and HILO (and PCDS) running on a 9000/350, and it's quite useable.
However the 350 is also the cluster server for a further 9 318s, which
can and do all run teamwork while some poor *** is trying to use DCS.
The system performance for the DCS site in these circumstances is
lousy.

Performance under DCS can be improved no end however simply by getting
rid of dsm and the windows 9000 interface and executing
/usr/hp74200/lib/dcs/dcs.exe directly. The performance improves no
end, and even gives acceptable results on a diskless 318.

Hope this helps,

Alan.
Alan G. Lorimer, Strathclyde University, 26 Richmond Street, Glasgow G1 1XH.
UUCP: ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!strath-cs!al    DARPA: al%cs.strath.ac.uk@ucl-cs
					   JANET: al@uk.ac.strath.cs