[comp.sys.hp] 24 bit X11R2/R3 server availible?

danner@cs.cmu.edu (Daniel Stodolsky) (04/02/89)

Does anyone out there have a 24 bit X11 server for the 835's? Access to full
color under would be very useful for some of our work.

If not, does anyone have any expirence with interfacing starbase to X11R2, with
R2 running in the overlay planes?

Daniel Stodolsky
Eng. Design Research Center
danner@edrc.cmu.edu

harry@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Harry Phinney) (04/04/89)

> Does anyone out there have a 24 bit X11 server for the 835's? Access to full
> color under would be very useful for some of our work.

It sounds like you need the capability of the HP-UX 3.1 server.  This
server supports 24 bit visuals on both the SRX and TSRX displays.  The
TSRX server allows a "combined" mode, wherein a client "sees" a choice
of two visuals - one which actually "resides" in the overlay planes and
one associated with the image planes.  The fact that the windows are in
two different sets of planes is hidden from the application and the
user.

> If not, does anyone have any expirence with interfacing starbase to X11R2, with
> R2 running in the overlay planes?
> Daniel Stodolsky

On both the SRX and TSRX servers available for HP-UX 3.0 there is a
color "transparent" which allows an X client (with X running in the
overlay planes) to create a "hole" into the image planes.  You can have
a program which creates such a window and then uses Starbase to render
to the image planes.  It is up to the application to track the movement
of the window and set Starbase's P1 and P2 accordingly.  As of the HP-UX
3.1 release a Starbase program can render directly into an X window,
greatly simpifying the application.

Harry Phinney

stroyan@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Mike Stroyan) (04/04/89)

> Does anyone out there have a 24 bit X11 server for the 835's? Access to full
> color under X11 would be very useful for some of our work.
> If not, does anyone have any experience with interfacing starbase to X11R2,
> with R2 running in the overlay planes?

The 3.1 release from HP has 24 bit X11 support.  It also has new support
for running full functionality Starbase inside an X11 window.  The 3.1
release is now in the process of being distributed.  I don't know how long
it takes all of the customers on update services to get copies.

Mike Stroyan, stroyan@hpfcla.hp.com

vic@zen.UUCP (Victor Gavin) (04/06/89)

In article <5570142@hpfcdc.HP.COM> stroyan@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Mike Stroyan) writes:
>The 3.1 release from HP has 24 bit X11 support.  It also has new support
>for running full functionality Starbase inside an X11 window.  The 3.1
>release is now in the process of being distributed.  I don't know how long
>it takes all of the customers on update services to get copies.
>
>Mike Stroyan, stroyan@hpfcla.hp.com

I'm being very serious here, when I say that HP's European Distribution is in a
mess.

At our office we are running HP's X11, but only because we're on good
terms with our AE who let us have a copy of his tape when we found we needed
it. We still haven't received our update!

This is also the only reason that we're running HP-UX 6.2 on our 300's. We
still haven't received our update!

Also we are currently in the process of getting HP-UX 3.1 for the 800's.
This ``delivery'' has been going on since February.

At this rate we won't get HP-UX 3.1 until about June.

Also what about 24 bit support for the 300's ???

		vic
--
Victor Gavin						Zengrange Limited
vic@zen.co.uk						Greenfield Road

arne@yc.estec.nl (Arne Lundberg) (04/06/89)

In article <5570142@hpfcdc.HP.COM> stroyan@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Mike Stroyan) writes:
> The 3.1
> release is now in the process of being distributed.  I don't know how long
> it takes all of the customers on update services to get copies.

I would guess that the distribution process is quite slow for HP.  I
am currently waiting for the complete distribution of 3.0.  I have got
piles of manuals, maybe 15 tapes but I am still missing some of the
parts.  Maybe only the HP-UX tape(s) but it is not easy to know.

The history of this distribution and some other related stuff is quite
long (and interesting :-( ) :

Beginning of 88:We order a second LANIC board for the machine

Oct 88: 	We order X11 for the 800
Oct 88: 	The Installing X On the Series 800 is printed

Nov 88: 	The Release notes for 3.0 is printed

15-Feb 88: 	We get a letter saying that 3.0 will be to us
		shipped between 20/2 - 10/3

Mars 88: 	We get X11 for the 800, Can only be used with 3.0
Mars 88: 	The 3.0 distribution starts coming in. Currently we have got
	 	at least 25 boxes during the last 4 weeks.

April 88: 	We get the LANIC board. New version, (can only run with 3.0?)

Notice the long delays for X11 and the LANIC board which I believe is
due to their dependency of 3.0 .  I don't mind getting newer faster
hardware or working software but I would think that SOME INFORMATION
would not be TO MUCH to ask for during the waiting period. (We have
asked HP in The Netherlands several times but have not got any
sensible response).

Why does it have to take so long time to get the software to Europe?
Is it really necessary to split up a UNIX distribution into this many
small pieces? I would prefer to get ONE BIG box with the required
manuals and a MINIMUM number of tapes to load. Loading all these 15 tapes
must take forever.

-- Arne Lundberg, ESTEC/YCV, The Netherlands

burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Tony Burzio) (04/07/89)

In article <1017@esatst.yc.estec.nl>, arne@yc.estec.nl (Arne Lundberg) writes:
> Why does it have to take so long time to get the software to Europe?

Don't feel bad about being on the short end of HP software distribution,
they mess it up here in the US too.  In the last year, only one product
has arrived in timely order, but it was just an auxiliary product and I had
to wait for the correct HP-UX version to wander in before installing it.
It's a good thing the stuff works when it finally DOES get here... :-)

Tony Burzio               * All together now, and a one and a two...
Martin Marietta Labs      *
mmlai!burzio@uunet.uu.net *   WE NEED DECNET AND LATSYM support!