[comp.sys.hp] HP software Distribution

al@cs.strath.ac.uk (Alan Lorimer) (04/07/89)

In article <1557@zen.UUCP> vic@zen.UUCP (Victor Gavin) writes:
.
>I'm being very serious here, when I say that HP's European Distribution is in a
>mess.
>
>At our office we are running HP's X11, but only because we're on good
>terms with our AE who let us have a copy of his tape when we found we needed
>it. We still haven't received our update!
>
>This is also the only reason that we're running HP-UX 6.2 on our 300's. We
>still haven't received our update!

I've found an article which I just have to write in support!

I'm glad to hear that someone else is having trouble with HP software
- I too have not yet received HP-UX 6.2 and it's been promised since
before christmas. Like vic above, our AE gave us a loan of a tape and
let us do the update - which in its way is all very well but what
about a copy of the manuals? I only found out by chance the command
that switches on long file names.......

I regularly recieve updates for HP64000 workstations which I don't
even pay for, I've been trying for over a year to get a set of manuals
for the HP DesignCentre software, and finally blew a fuse when one of
the other departments found themselves sitting on top of 8 copies of
the things that *THEY DIDN'T EVEN WANT!*

Perhaps HP can explain why it takes over 6 weeks to copy a tape with a
fortran compiler on it - and when it does turn up, it's for HP-UX 6.2
which I don't officially have yet!

I could start on about a number of other problems with the HP response
centre and other support certainly in this neck of the woods, but what
it boils down to HP is that you don't have enough staff! The UK
response centre gives me the impression that it is badly overloaded,
my local sales and support staff seem to be run off their feet - I
can't blame them they do their best - but one AE for the west of
Scotland - or does he do the east as well? Come on HP get the act
together and employ more staff, you've got a good product in the
9000/3xx computers, but it's being spoiled by insufficient support and an
endless stream of cock ups!

Alan.
Alan G. Lorimer, Strathclyde University, 26 Richmond Street, Glasgow G1 1XH.
UUCP: ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!strath-cs!al    DARPA: al%cs.strath.ac.uk@ucl-cs
					   JANET: al@uk.ac.strath.cs