[comp.sys.hp] editing at login prompt

angles@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (04/05/89)

Does anybody know of a way to get login(1) to recognise line editing commands
such as backspace/delete and kill. At the moment only # and @ are recognise
and this is generating increasing user-hostility. I have read the manual pages
on gettydefs as suggested bu our local HP rep but it didn't seem to help.
Any Suggestions??

AdvTHANXance

Ian

---
Ian Angles, Systems Programmer, University Of Liverpool Computer Laboratory.
UK - angles@uk.ac.liv.mva
TransAtlantic - angles%uk.ac.liverpool.vax@net.cs.relay (or so I'm told..)
Europe - mcvax!ukc!uk.ac.liv.mva!angles
Bus error - quote dumped.

corrigan@net1.ucsd.edu (Mike Corrigan) (04/14/89)

In article <3708@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk> angles@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk writes:
>Does anybody know of a way to get login(1) to recognise line editing commands
>such as backspace/delete and kill. At the moment only # and @ are recognise

>Ian Angles, Systems Programmer, University Of Liverpool Computer Laboratory.
>UK - angles@uk.ac.liv.mva
>TransAtlantic - angles%uk.ac.liverpool.vax@net.cs.relay (or so I'm told..)
>Europe - mcvax!ukc!uk.ac.liv.mva!angles

	Can't be changed on on HP-UX 3.01. nor on 6.x. @ and #
	are the erase and kill characters during the login process.
	Keeping these ice-age defaults is a pain for BSD types.